IGNORED

have BT and Sky now killed the geese that lays the Golden eggs?

Never to the dark side

9 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

I see that BT head of live football has now left the company after just one month of the new season.

Just wondering if the Sky high prices they both charge might be coming to an end

That reminds me I paid £3.99p a month for two live games per week back in the summer of 1992

Pretty sure when I first had Sky back in the late 80s everything was included in your monthly payment think it was less than £10 a month. Happy days!!

10 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Just renegotiated my deal. Full monty, as you describe it, including HD, £45/month 18 month contract.

That sounds like a good deal for the lot - fair play. I reckon I was on about £80/m a few years ago (HD, Sports & Films) and that was when i packed it in for alternative sources 

People might like to know that Now TV currently has an offer of ten months sports coverage for a one-off payment of £199, I believe, so equivalent to (obviously) near enough £20 a month. It’s called a Football Season Ticket, but in fact I think it gives access to all their sports channels, so if you are also into your rugby/cricket/whatever, it represents a pretty good deal. However, if you’re interested, better get a move on: offer’s only open for a few more days.

26 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

That sounds like a good deal for the lot - fair play. I reckon I was on about £80/m a few years ago (HD, Sports & Films) and that was when i packed it in for alternative sources 

It's not bad, I know there are other ways to get even more for less. But my wife likes the Sky service, recording from her phone etc. and it is reliable and includes 5 sky Go devices. Cost is gradually creeping up though and each time my deal ends I have to tell them I'm leaving in order to get another deal. All a bit silly really!

15 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

How much is the full monty with Sky nowadays? Sports, Films and all the extras. Must be approaching a ton a month?

I reckon with Sky Go, muitlroom and HD is close to a ton now. 

13 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Cost is gradually creeping up though and each time my deal ends I have to tell them I'm leaving in order to get another deal. All a bit silly really!

Yes - I always haggled over a new deal too when I was out of contract but it was just too much at the time when you factor it over 12 months etc - that's the price of a holiday! 

1 hour ago, CliftonCliff said:

People might like to know that Now TV currently has an offer of ten months sports coverage for a one-off payment of £199, I believe, so equivalent to (obviously) near enough £20 a month. It’s called a Football Season Ticket, but in fact I think it gives access to all their sports channels, so if you are also into your rugby/cricket/whatever, it represents a pretty good deal. However, if you’re interested, better get a move on: offer’s only open for a few more days.

A friend and I have been doing this for years, less than ? a season each. Now used to do this offer for 12 months beginning around Black Friday, they’ve subsequently kept the price the same or sometimes lower but reduced the duration to 9-10 months (shrinkflation). Once you’ve signed up, you can cancel immediately and you won’t be charged another penny.

You can register up to 6 devices to the account, but only watch 2 simultaneously, which isn’t a problem for us. It gives you access to all the Sky Sports Channels, but no red button.

Currently you can also get £15 cash back with Quidco too. So this works out at less than £8 pcm each, I think it actually saves us both money by not going out to watch football several times a week. The now TV boxes and sticks are also portable, so you can plug them in anywhere, I’ve taken my away on holiday and may even have taken them to a pub or two which don’t subscribe to Sky. Just need the device and WiFi, obviously most people have a phone now which will be able to act as a hotspot and they’ll have unlimited data, so essentially it can be used anywhere there is a TV and you and your phone are if there’s no WiFi.

In brief, we pay less than £8 each, it’s totally legal (if we’re not broadcasting it in public) no other charges or subscriptions required, you don’t need to be a Sky customer, massively cheaper than the full Sports package that Sky offer, the only drawback is that no red button games ☹️

11 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

You can stream directly from the App on your phone too, even easierer 

Yup, very handy, a lot of TVs have Now TV built in too. I cut the cord a long time ago, have literally saved thousands, I can handle the <£8 pcm for the all of Sky Sports without the faffing around, obviously movies and TV shows (non live programming) can come from anywhere and be watched anywhere, anytime. I have got many others to cancel their Sky and Netflix subscriptions too.

5 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

If you can cope with shockingly low frame rate, compression and low resolution it's fine. 

I find it really fatiguing to watch for long. 

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

If you can cope with shockingly low frame rate, compression and low resolution it's fine. 

I find it really fatiguing to watch for long. 

Not found it too bad, to be honest, but perhaps I'm just not very discriminating, or the fact that I often watch football on a small device screen makes quality issues less apparent; I don't know. Also one is usually watching events of relatively short duration and maybe 90 minutes of football isn't long enough for it to bother some people.

Having said all that, it just occurred to me as I typed that last bit that I have, for the first time in many years, actually watched loads of cricket this summer, for hours at a stretch, and the picture on the not very expensive smart TV I bought last year struck me as quite decent, so whilst I'm not necessarily disagreeing about the technicalities, about which I know less than sod all, based on my experience so far I'd still recommend it for anyone seeking televised sport at a fairer price.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

IPTV is much cheaper although probably illegal. £65 for the whole year and £11 for a VPN. :)

IPTV will reduce football revenue for sky. Its peaked.

You can get streams from Bein etc, just as good quality with english commentary and LIVE at 3pm Saturday

13 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

IPTV will reduce football revenue for sky. Its peaked.

You can get streams from Bein etc, just as good quality with english commentary and LIVE at 3pm Saturday

Until the service I'm on gets shut down TTT, which it probably will at some point, I've got every game live from all 4 divisions plus the SPL, the quality is decent too. It's an absolute no brainer.

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Until the service I'm on gets shut down TTT, which it probably will at some point, I've got every game live from all 4 divisions plus the SPL, the quality is decent too. It's an absolute no brainer.

Thats the downside - you have to be savvy updating the sources but if you are literate you can save loads of dosh - and watch virtually any sporting event globally free and in HD

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

When you say every game live, you mean every game that is scheduled?

Or every game verbatim? Assuming it's the former eg Sky Football, Sky Sports etc etc.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

When you say every game live, you mean every game that is scheduled?

Or every game verbatim? Assuming it's the former eg Sky Football, Sky Sports etc etc.

Pretty much every game verbatim Mr P. I actually watched the r*vers game at Blackpool the other week, bloody hilarious it was. 

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Pretty much every game verbatim Mr P. I actually watched the r*vers game at Blackpool the other week, bloody hilarious it was. 

That's amazing Ska- well 2 things that they of all sides would be on but also on a serious note and yes very amusing I am sure, on a serious note such a range of games for relatively little cash! I wonder how they do it, 3pm blackout and all...

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's amazing Ska- well 2 things that they of all sides would be on but also on a serious note and yes very amusing I am sure, on a serious note such a range of games for relatively little cash! I wonder how they do it, 3pm blackout and all...

No idea Mr P but they seem to have every club channel cracked. I had better not say too much more as it's not entirely legal obviously. More than happy to have a chat via DM if you want to try it.

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

No idea Mr P but they seem to have every club channel cracked. I had better not say too much more as it's not entirely legal obviously. More than happy to have a chat via DM if you want to try it.

Sounds about right Ska- and yeah best we say no more on here.

I'll send you a PM at some point, obviously wary about the not entirely legal bit.

Archived