IGNORED

Bcfc Website (Merged)

wayne allisons tongues

Who is writing the articles on the website, for spelling is usually awful and sentences don’t make sense. Facts in the articles are quite often wrong.

October ticket article says Wigan game is on 26th October at 1.30, instead of correct date of the 27th. Doesn’t anything ever get proof read before it is released online.

Just think the whole website has gone backwards the last 18 months.

2 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

It’s almost like something happened back around then.. 

11 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Who is writing the articles on the website, for spelling is usually awful and sentences don’t make sense. Facts in the articles are quite often wrong.

October ticket article says Wigan game is on 26th October at 1.30, instead of correct date of the 27th. Doesn’t anything ever get proof read before it is released online.

But but but... it must be true as its on the official bcfc website..... @Robbored says so..!

#bringbackbeanhead

9 minutes ago, TomF said:

It’s almost like something happened back around then.. 

I agree, it is embarrassing that a potential PL side can’t even spell/get facts straight on there own website.

Media team should be embarrassed with themselves. We know they read this forum for points of error have been corrected after they’ve been pointed out on here.

19 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I agree, it is embarrassing that a potential PL side can’t even spell/get facts straight on there own website.

Media team should be embarrassed with themselves. We know they read this forum for points of error have been corrected after they’ve been pointed out on here.

You might want to proof read your use of the word "there". 

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If it’s on the OS then it’s official but I’m not responsible for the dodgy spelling TM.

May well be, but seeing my original post is about the wrong date . I am guessing you’ll be going to the match on the wrong day for it says on the official site.

1 minute ago, CiderJar said:

You might want to proof read your use of the word "there". 

I agree, but I’m not a Journalist or media expert who should be getting these things correct. Also this is a forum not an official outlet for a company, so people will rush what they type for want to say what they think.

It is the first contact the world may have with the club and the details are shocking.The club should be looking into this not constantly overlooking.

• Admin

Part of my job is producing admin and medical training material online and printed.

If I made one of the mistakes alone that the club makes I'd be sat getting a rollicking for my mistakes

As a comparison I was looking at the Daily Mail website yesterday (I know that is wrong in itself) but their reports were full of basic errors too, and that is a National newspaper !

46 minutes ago, phantom said:

Part of my job is producing admin and medical training material online and printed.

If I made one of the mistakes alone that the club makes I'd be sat getting a rollicking for my mistakes

As a comparison I was looking at the Daily Mail website yesterday (I know that is wrong in itself) but their reports were full of basic errors too, and that is a National newspaper !

*sitting

In my experience peer-reviews of articles for publishing are generally carried out on screen by the author. The problem is the words look “too perfect” on the screen and your eyes / brain don’t pick up on the mistakes.

The solution for newspapers and websites like Bcfc.co.uk (i.e. professional media) is to print what is intended for publishing and review articles on paper. Preferably get someone else to carry out the peer-review.

This is an unfashionable solution, though. Hopefully I haven’t missed any errors when reading this back....

11 minutes ago, WOTRED said:

In my experience peer-reviews of articles for publishing are generally carried out on screen by the author. The problem is the words look “too perfect” on the screen and your eyes / brain don’t pick up on the mistakes.

The solution for newspapers and websites like Bcfc.co.uk (i.e. professional media) is to print what is intended for publishing and review articles on paper. Preferably get someone else to carry out the peer-review.

This is an unfashionable solution, though. Hopefully I haven’t missed any errors when reading this back....

Well, only that peer-review has, by definition, to be done by someone else.  An author can’t peer-review their own work.  I think you mean proof-read.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Sign of the times. Spelling, punctuation and grammar just doesn't seem to be important these days.

32 minutes ago, WOTRED said:

I write reports for financial advisers and it really annoys me that they don’t have the decency to read them through before presenting to the client.  I’d be much happier if someone else proof read them first. I’ve usually been staring at them for hours and become ‘blind’ as I read what I expect to and not what’s there.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sign of the times. Spelling, punctuation and grammar just doesn't seem to be important these days.

There does seem to be a distinct drop in standards, perhaps people expect their spellchecker software to pick up everything for them? There is a big difference between errors and ignorance though, I am usually pretty good at picking up on my own mistakes, but I am constantly writing about Mangers when I mean Managers. My wife, who as a Company Secretary is keen to check all her work, recently dashed off a quick email to her Accounts Department, but in her rush she missed out the "u" , to much consternation amongst her colleagues. :) 

For some time now it's been clear that the media team only care about social media, twitter, Facebook (and Instagram), where spelling errors seem to be readily accepted, and couldn't care less about the wider OS. The OS is an embarrassment with stories arriving days after other media outlets. We used to get regular news e.g. If a bunch of our kids went to play in a tournament abroad we'd get not only match reports but a travelogue as well. Now they couldn't even be bothered to tell us which players and staff travelled to Florida for preseason. And don't get me started on the updating of players profiles, away days etc. Bloody shambles. 

The media dept definitely went downhill when Adam Baker left.

They (still) totally get the tone wrong on Twitter time and time again. They're clearly obsessed with 'engagement' rather than content. They try their best to emulate one of those cringey Bundesliga clubs who post in English. They don't quite get the tone right and I sense they don't understand our support either. I wonder how many of the media department are actually fans.

On Twitter, they posted a video of particularly muted goal celebrations from when we played QPR last season and were talking about the "limbs" in the video. It was clear that there were no 'limbs' - so unless they were trying to mock our own supporters, it smacks of being posted by someone who doesn't really understand their audience. The content on Instagram is equally appalling.. just inane "Monday Motivation" and "Friday Feeling" type posts as if they're the social media account of a Slug and Lettuce pub. No imagination, no substance.

I assume it's the same team that run the website too - so it's of no surprise to me that the copy is poor and errors are everywhere.

Archived