IGNORED

EFL Cup - Goal of the round.

Bristol Rob

2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Pity english football isn't like american football where everything stops and you bring on a bloke whose sole job is to kick field goals. Walsh must be wondering what other miracles he has to perform to get a regular game. 

It’s a shame; he has moments like this but off the ball he remains a liability. In all honesty I don’t think he will become a regular for us, and it is something that the club will regret over time.

5 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

It’s a shame; he has moments like this but off the ball he remains a liability. In all honesty I don’t think he will become a regular for us, and it is something that the club will regret over time.

I hope not mate. From what I can remember the Everton fans were very sorry to see him go. He looks to me like he could be a Barry Bannon type who can ping the ball about and run a game. If that is near what he is capable of doing I am asking myself (and I am not having a massive pop here) why can't our coaching staff help/train him to do what ever they see him not doing?

Why are we signing so many players rather than developing the ones we already have?

6 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I hope not mate. From what I can remember the Everton fans were very sorry to see him go. He looks to me like he could be a Barry Bannon type who can ping the ball about and run a game. If that is near what he is capable of doing I am asking myself (and I am not having a massive pop here) why can't our coaching staff help/train him to do what ever they see him not doing?

Why are we signing so many players rather than developing the ones we already have?

For your last question it is because there is an expectation the club will battle for top 6. It is very hard to do both. You see some clubs do both but usually for a season before the drop off a bit. Teams like Preston, Brentford and Barnsley have all had strong years then fell behind. Whereas we are steadily getting better and still trying to bring through 1-2 younger players per season. Plus a lot of our signings are younger themselves so theoretically better prospects most of the time. Palmer, Dasilva and Szmodics all under 23(think Szmodics is the oldest!). 

Back to Walsh in particular, I said it after a preseason game last summer. He has some lovely attributes but his timing is way off. His closing down opposition was off. When to take a touch was off. When he had time and space he was the best player on the pitch. Walsh can 100% run games like Barry Bannan. He needs an entire season of starts to get that timing though. He will not get that here this season. He needs to go to Shrewsbury and play week in and week out. If you break down his minutes into 90 min matches he has played the equivalent of 27 senior games roughly. With about half at L2 level. He needs the games desperately

Archived