IGNORED

Derby County v Bristol City - Match Day 4

Septic Peg

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

A laughable assessment were it not so harsh. Weimann runs around a lot but I remember our fans slating him last season when the end product dried up. 

Both Weimann and Fam have flaws at this level, of course they do. But to accuse Fam of a lack of effort is really poor in my view, not true at all...He's just a different type of player 

We obviously saw things differently tonight, surely a fresh man coming on with 20 minutes to go should be able to chase, harry and be a general nuisance to the Derby defence and midfield for the remainder of the game. The comparison to Weimann maybe slightly off given AW's work rate is second to none but he was nowhere near as effective as Afobe in closing down Derby's players and forcing errors. IMO this relieved some of the pressure we had put on them throughout the game to this point.

Overall it was a massively positive performance so it is probably nit-picking but would rather see someone busting their nuts to press Derby high up the pitch rather than jogging around with the game passing him by.

3 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

We obviously saw things differently tonight, surely a fresh man coming on with 20 minutes to go should be able to chase, harry and be a general nuisance to the Derby defence and midfield for the remainder of the game. The comparison to Weimann maybe slightly off given AW's work rate is second to none but he was nowhere near as effective as Afobe in closing down Derby's players and forcing errors. IMO this relieved some of the pressure we had put on them throughout the game to this point.

Overall it was a massively positive performance so it is probably nit-picking but would rather see someone busting their nuts to press Derby high up the pitch rather than jogging around with the game passing him by.

We didn't see things differently it is simply not Fams game to go chasing everything like Weimann does. We don't know what LJs instruction to Fam was...was it to keep up the high press or was it to drop a bit deeper and mark one of their playmakers?

Jogging around with the game passing him by...again I didn't see that I saw him battling for every ball...

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We didn't see things differently it is simply not Fams game to go chasing everything like Weimann does. We don't know what LJs instruction to Fam was...was it to keep up the high press or was it to drop a bit deeper and mark one of their playmakers? Did he do either?

Jogging around with the game passing him by...again I didn't see that I saw him battling for every ball... So we did see things differently?

Some mixed but interesting views on the Derby forum:

Not sure what’s more galling, the performance or the fact Andi ducking Weimann was the best player on the pitch

I really dislike Bristol fans. Tinpot bunch, cider is poo anyway you twits. 

Bristol looked dangerous at will, we didn't. More like dangerous by accident mostly.

They have had the same manager building them up for several seasons. We dont and Cocu and the team need time to gell. It will happen.

They had three shots on target to our four. They were two up at half-time, one up for most of the match. They looked dangerous whenever they could be bothered to go forward. We didn't.

Kalas and the Center Back Taylor Moore were dominant of anything that came in.

interesting game - Bristol ok and decent at the back but we were very sloppy with lots of the same old same old 

Bristol defended well but also harried the rocks off us. They were hungry and clever. 

Very good composure by  Weimann for his goal , wish we saw that on a more consistent basis here.  If he was still here no doubt he’d have smashed that over the bar or straight at the keeper

I don't want to be too negative, because I don't think it's all bad. We've certainly played worse and won. I think Bristol showed why they will be up there at the end of the season, both goals as frustrating as they are from our side were extremely well taken. Weimann showing that level of composure in the box - it was like watching a cat bark. The second, definitely down to Malone, but a very good dummy in the box made that goal. Both, had they panicked, would have blocked. Fair play to them for that.  I felt the first half Bristol had a concise game plan that was very Rowett-esque. They targeted our physical weakness and relied on their individual quality. It worked as it did with Rowett when he was here. They will be there or thereabouts, big signing in Bentley who has always been a top keeper at this level. Baker was outstanding too. Brownhill is a grafter, ironically what we're lacking in that position. 

27 minutes ago, pillred said:

Apparently we only had 33% possession and not a single corner yet still won, that can't have happened very often but hey! who cares. 

Not a true reflection as its skewed by how much we let them have the ball in the last 10 mins. 80 mins or so it was probably 55/45 Derby

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

Not a true reflection as its skewed by how much we let them have the ball in the last 10 mins. 80 mins or so it was probably 55/45 Derby

67% possession for Derby in the second half.

Despite all that they didn't create anything of note in that time, and their goal was a superb individual strike.

(I'm sure there are things that could have prevented the goal, but also sometimes the opposition have to be credited, and Marriott struck that shot very sweetly.)

10 minutes ago, hodge said:

We also had more possession at 0-0 as well so it's not really a fair reflection either.

Possession stats are almost completely meaningless anyway.  For some context, from tonight's championship games, the side with the most possession lost in 3 of the 5 games.

Edit: and from the past weekend, only 3 of the 8 winners also had the majority of possession.

9 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Best enjoy him while he's here, because it won't be long before the vultures are circling.

He has the type of footballing intelligence that can't be coached.

Can’t argue with that.

But if he helps us while he’s here with more performances like that, he’s going to cost whoever wants him some serious money when he finally does move.

Until then, I hope he can light more games up like he did last night.

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I have no idea what this actually means but what a phrase! Cracking me up just thinking about it. Anyone care to translate for me . .  .

It is someone or something doing something totally alien to them. For instance, for the first time ever Weimann showed composure

Got to call out Massengo. Need to highlight this is an 18 year old who has moved to a different country and I believe who’s English is not 100% there yet. I must say, he looks at home and has been the upmost professional with the games he has been involved with to date. He’s slotted straight in with no errors or shown signs of nerves or mistakes.

All I would say is we need to enjoy him while he is here, as I’m sure if he continues the uphill path he is currently taking. Then he may well be gone next summer.

31 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Got to call out Massengo. Need to highlight this is an 18 year old who has moved to a different country and I believe who’s English is not 100% there yet. I must say, he looks at home and has been the upmost professional with the games he has been involved with to date. He’s slotted straight in with no errors or shown signs of nerves or mistakes.

All I would say is we need to enjoy him while he is here, as I’m sure if he continues the uphill path he is currently taking. Then he may well be gone next summer.

To Chelsea?

30 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Got to call out Massengo. 

Spot on.

I fear both he and Nagy will be gone in the summer. But shall enjoy watching them meantime.

9 hours ago, Roe said:

We also had more possession at 0-0 as well so it's not really a fair reflection either.

Possession stats are almost completely meaningless anyway.  For some context, from tonight's championship games, the side with the most possession lost in 3 of the 5 games.

Edit: and from the past weekend, only 3 of the 8 winners also had the majority of possession.

Possession is just proportion of passes. Derby passed it around at the back and side to side because we allowed them to up to a point. 

Possession stats don't tell you which team was better. Slow build up often loses to clinical direct passing.

Great win that. All those injuries too!

Weimann up front, centrally makes a major difference- his runs, his consistent workrate and yes he's good technically- maybe he will be the Reid replacement we're looking for. Afobe a clear upgrade on Diedhiou- the latter can perhaps be a Plan B or C, and will still play a role- to have Diedhiou with a reasonable (not great but reasonable) goal return as 3rd choice shows a lot of depth!

That back 3 was a bit of a brick wall- team had to absorb a lot of pressure in terms of not getting the ball much 2nd half, but a lot was in front of us. That's a good sign- able to win with the ball and stand firm without. I think this squad still has a lot more to come as well.

Bentley I had doubts about early on but he's growing on me. Maenpaa when fit will provide good competition and this should continue to help to drive standards- knowing that if he (Bentley) dips and is costly then Maenpaa who was very good last season can step in.

The wing backs maybe a weakness but don't think they're as bad as many state- Hunt assist for a start, Rowe seems defensively reasonable despite neither being an LB or let alone a LWB by trade. Pereira and Dasilva will in the medium to long term take over as first choice but good competition on the right and players like Rowe always useful to have in the squad.

Massengo will go far- in certain games him, Nagy and Brownhill could be a great central 3- nice to have these options and these possibilities- Pack was possibly a bit unlucky in that we played one less player centrally when him and Brownhill were in that 4-2-3-1 and did us proud but think we've upgraded overall.

Bodes well, this depth as the season develops...

Ah almost forgot- Palmer of course. Linking with Weimann and Afobe a very exciting prospect. Seems to be getting better defensively too!

12 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

Criticism of COD and Fam seems off to me. We started protecting the lead early on and asking Derby to break us down early on (which, bar an impressive strike, they couldn't). At that point Afobe offered little as we resorted to longer balls again. He definitely offered a threat on the break to get in behind but very little defensively. Fam comes on to the same service, he doesn't offer the run in behind but he tracks back and defends well (at least three interceptions around the edge of our box). Same with COD v Palmer - Palmer offers the killer ball but doesn't track/sit in to defend (although tjis side of his game has massively improved). Both COD and Fam came on and made better defensively and helped us see out the game. Would I start them over Afobe and Palmer? No I feel they are the better players but they both did their job and helped us get the three points. This obsession of bashing our own  players is baffling and disappointing. 

Best post of the night.

Won't go down well with the witch-hunt though.

1 hour ago, Redpool said:

Your probably right, many on our current quality young crop will be prem players next season..... With us. No need to move on as the club is progressing with them! 

Where's your belief man?

COYR

19 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Not a happy bunny.

Big week for him already coming up, WBA home Saturday then Forest away in the EFL Cup, then away at Brentford. Three tough games...he could be under some pressure from the fans very early doors if they fail to win any of those.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not a happy bunny.

Big week for him already coming up, WBA home Saturday then Forest away in the EFL Cup, then away at Brentford. Three tough games...he could be under some pressure from the fans very early doors if they fail to win any of those.

A number of comments on their forum blaming their recruitment team, rather than Cocu, for focussing upon signing Rooney rather than upgrading their midfield. They don't see that Huddlestone and Malone are good enough. On last night's showing I'd agree.

Archived