IGNORED

Liam Walsh (Merged)

kiwicolin

Just now, Bullbag said:

Yeh he certainly is a talent.

It's got me thinking, having just seen the thread about Josh Brownhill in the transfer section and him potentially moving on, what are peoples thoughts on Walsh being part 

of City's squad next season (depending on which division we are in of course).

Would Nagy, Massengo, Smith and Walsh be enough strengh in midfield.

I rate him, always have, and would love to see him get more games for us. I like the way he plays with his head up and always looks to create something - it does make me a bit blind to some of his failings though on occasion! I think he has a future at City if he wants one - this season will decide one way or the other though I think (as it will for Joe Morrell who may have moved slightly ahead of Liam in the last few months).

Always thought he'd make it with us because of the glimpses of brilliance we have seen like when he came on against Stoke. 

I think with all youngsters it's a matter of what can they do on a good day and hen do they have the right attitude to keep working hard to improve.

I feel Walsh is a player that has real natural quality and the determination to keep improving.

He's very young, and like many short players need time. What a goal today. Takes some ability to score that goal.

1 minute ago, winsaw said:

I honestly think it's more a case of him finding the right level where he can really influence a game, I still think he's miles away from being able to do that in the championship, 

A lot of people thought that about Taylor Moore, given a run and he looks well tidy.

The games I've seen Walsh play in the Championship suggests to me he is far from being out of his depth.

Hopefully we can get him on a new deal that will keep him with us (sure I read he was out of contract at the end of the season).

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

All of a sudden, Walsh is brilliant !

Great news.

Drop Palmer, Nagy, Masengo, Brownhill....etc.

Don't think anyone thought he was crap, it was just a case of embarrassment of riches which meant his first team opportunities were going to be limited, and one less than outstanding game would see him pushed back down the pecking order.

I encourage the club's policy of buying young players who will develop, but sometimes the timing doesn't work out, with players developing quicker or slower than their mapped career paths.

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Don't think anyone thought he was crap, it was just a case of embarrassment of riches which meant his first team opportunities were going to be limited, and one less than outstanding game would see him pushed back down the pecking order.

I encourage the club's policy of buying young players who will develop, but sometimes the timing doesn't work out, with players developing quicker or slower than their mapped career paths.

There were plenty that thought he was crap.

He obviously isn't or he wouldn't be here.

For me, its the wrong club at the wrong time for him - the club has moved quicker than him imo with signings like Massengo and Nagy. 

6 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I rate him, always have, and would love to see him get more games for us. I like the way he plays with his head up and always looks to create something - it does make me a bit blind to some of his failings though on occasion! I think he has a future at City if he wants one - this season will decide one way or the other though I think (as it will for Joe Morrell who may have moved slightly ahead of Liam in the last few months).

Think Liam’s problems are not what he’s capable of with the ball, it’s when he’s out of possession.  You can see he has really nice technique, but although he likes a tackle, his defensive skills are what let him down.

Not gonna write him off, because hopefully the Coventry experience will do him the world of good.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Think Liam’s problems are not what he’s capable of with the ball, it’s when he’s out of possession.  You can see he has really nice technique, but although he likes a tackle, his defensive skills are what let him down.

Not gonna write him off, because hopefully the Coventry experience will do him the world of good.

Just looked at the goal and what a goal it was. Liam took the ball just inside his own half beat at least 4 players and a beautiful left  foot strike past Sanchez. He looked up all the way fast and new what he was going to achieve. 

There are a few comments he’s young but i think he is past twenty. Not young compared to likes of Massengo 

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What’s height got to do with it?! Short players need more time?!

More time to develop physically. Just look at Bobby Reid who was about 24 when his body had developed to the required levels.

13 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Complete & utter 'hogwash........

Interesting contribution you make to the discussion! ?

I think strength is a big thing in football. Bobby Reid is an example of a late developer who was very lightweight and was missing that strength to go onto that next level. At 24 he could finally hold off players, twist and turn with his fantastic technique and not get knocked off the ball because of his new found physical strength.

A friend of Bobby's a few years ago who was once in the academy with Bobby told me that if Bobby doesn't put on more muscle, he won't ever make it City. That was clearly the one area he needed to develop and with plenty of hard work, he eventually got there.

Generally shorter lightweight players who maybe are not exceptionally quick will need to develop physically, which takes longer for those than it does players of a natural bigger size.

How tall is LJ ? I bet he had to sit on a phone book when GJ learnt him to drive. LJ has grown  from strength to strength not only when he played but his career. You dont need too be six foot two like the sticks Mr Ritchie to be a good player 

15 minutes ago, City oz said:

How tall is LJ ? I bet he had to sit on a phone book when GJ learnt him to drive. LJ has grown  from strength to strength not only when he played but his career. You dont need too be six foot two like the sticks Mr Ritchie to be a good player 

5 foot 6. Same height as Walsh. At the same age as Walsh LJ was at Yeovil in the lower leagues. Johnson seems to have developed later in his career, like how I predict Walsh will.

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agreed- still I believe that a central 3 would help-  my 2nd hobbyhorse after FFP :P

Technique would be more evidence in an FFP,  ability tackle would help and that third player would help to mask some of the defensive weaknesses that you point to. In a 2?

Yeah the defensive shortcomings could pose a serious problem but then a 2, is swimming against the tide at this level anyway.

What with the injuries and yes I know,  hindsight etc,  Brownhill, Massengo and Walsh could've been interesting IMO.

That extra body in Walsh who could tackle could also have helped to ease the workload a bit on Massengo especially given his age,  experience levels,  new country and style of League etc.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed- still I believe that a central 3 would help-  my 2nd hobbyhorse after FFP :P

Technique would be more evidence in an FFP,  ability tackle would help and that third player would help to mask some of the defensive weaknesses that you point to. In a 2?

Yeah the defensive shortcomings could pose a serious problem but then a 2, is swimming against the tide at this level anyway.

It is strange that the 2nd half performance against Stoke last season when they couldn't get the ball out their half and we somehow just could not score, Walsh played in a 3 and LJ never seemed to play him there again.

The quick passing between Webster, Dasilva, Walsh and Pato on that side was incredible to see. All so good on the ball. That licence for Walsh to drift forward so important to his game.

LJ even said Walsh can only play in a 3 in an interview, yet since that Stoke game he kept playing him in a 2, even though our new system had become a midfield 3 for a big chunk of the season after the Ipswich 3-2 win. Very strange he would play him in a role he says he can't do! Though I get this will only make him improve in that role.

Yesterday it looks like Walsh played in a 2. It seems he is generally doing well, but having periods in games where he struggles. Needs to find that consistency over 90 minutes.

I agree a midfield 3 is best for him at the moment. But one of the either side midfielders of a main holder, with a bit of licence to roam.

He still needs to become stronger. I'm hope all this will come as he's still young.

Archived