IGNORED

Liam Walsh (Merged)

kiwicolin

Lucky to be a great goal because he kept on trying to get it onto his left foot as he's useless with his right peg!

Only kidding  :) 

I know there were concerns about the defensive side of his game, but there seems little doubting his ability on the ball and to be able to hit a pass or a shot.

• The title was changed to Liam Walsh (Merged)
12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Surprised he hasn't signed/been offered a new deal.

I believe he is out of contract at the end of the season. So potentially a good free signing for someone.

Maybe year option? It seems like we usually have it with most players

I never thought he was a poor player. Could hit some clever passes and for a short player was pretty feisty in a tackle.

It was more that his ideal position didn't quite suit the way LJ usually sets up the team. We seem to be becoming a bit more flexible in our approach and adapting to a variety of formations this season.

Maybe there could be a place back at City for LW :dunno:

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In a 3, he could flourish IMO.

It's a broken record from me but I still think a central midfield 3 is the way forward medium to long run- not least as it'd suit a fair few of our players I think.

My thoughts exactly. 
From the bits I've seen, he plays with his head up, he's two footed and can pass. Problem is although all our CMF's are slightly different to each other, you have to find a balance. We have 7 midfielders who I would be happy with if they were to start, even in a 3 that's too many.Sadly  I can see Walsh leaving ,opportunities will be few when he comes back IMO. Even then Morrell would be at the back of a queue with Brownhill , Smith , Nagy , HNM and Palmer all ahead of him, even though he seems to have that bite that may be missing in the others. That is without mentioning Bakinson and COD, if we can find a balance in CMF we could be dangerous.

On 17/11/2019 at 08:45, JonDolman said:

5 foot 6. Same height as Walsh. At the same age as Walsh LJ was at Yeovil in the lower leagues. Johnson seems to have developed later in his career, like how I predict Walsh will.

Walsh has a strong looking physique mind

47 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Could be a prime time to sell Walsh at the end of the season, recoup most of our outlay, Morell strikes me as a better option in the long run.

How many were saying the same about Moore in the summer - what a mistake that would have been.

Not saying Walsh is that good ( although, like Moore, perhaps he has changed a lot since being out on loan) , but what if we have to find a replacement if Brownhill, say, goes for big money in January or in the summer?

11 minutes ago, downendcity said:

How many were saying the same about Moore in the summer - what a mistake that would have been.

Not saying Walsh is that good ( although, like Moore, perhaps he has changed a lot since being out on loan) , but what if we have to find a replacement if Brownhill, say, goes for big money in January or in the summer?

Well yes, if Brownhill goes he would be a good replacement. I’m assuming he isn’t.

14 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Well yes, if Brownhill goes he would be a good replacement. I’m assuming he isn’t.

Over the last few seasons we have seen the club's player strategy in action. Key players that many though irreplaceable were replaced and in hindsight were upgraded.

Webster, himself an upgrade on the previous iconic Flint, was perhaps surprisingly replaced, not by a big money signing ( which is hat a majority of fans expected and demanded) but by a young player already at the club.

There was a lot of scepticism about Moore's ability and future here when he was out on loan at Southend, but it is clear that the players own attitude and motivation ( the right DNA?) together with the club's judgement and the experience he gained while on loan, stood him in good stead. The club's judgement in buying him the first place, then loaning him out and crucially bringing him back and pitching him into the team to tepee Webster has been justified and repaid.

It could well be that a combination of similar factors is at work with Walsh ( and also Morrell, although he of course came through the club's ranks) and we could all be pleasantly surprised by his development of the club judge him capable of competing for a first team spot in the future.

Archived