IGNORED

Watching club football elsewhere in Europe - recommendations?

LondonBristolian

Went to Flora (from estonia) v frankfurt in the europa league last month. 

Good atmosphere (probably helped by it being floras biggest ever home crowd and the excellent frankfurt fans) and the football was of a really good quality. 

Only a fiver to get in an tallinn is a nice city. Well worth a weekend over

On 20/08/2019 at 18:40, LondonBristolian said:

Quick question. I need to book a holiday at some point and occasionally toy with the idea of going to watch domestic football elsewhere in Europe. Obviously Germany springs to mind but I'm open to going anywhere. My questions is what stadiums would anyone who has done this recommend in terms of either the atmosphere, the uniqueness of the stadium or anything else?

Villarreal is a really good place to watch football not the best stadium in the world but a good atmosphere and resonably cheap , Valencia is  one of the best I’ve been too great atmosphere and the city’s fantastic.

Hard to beat Germany. There are cheap flights to Cologne and Düsseldorf and either makes a good base with several clubs easily accessible on local trains including Dortmund, Schalke, Fortuna Düsseldorf, Bayer Leverkusen, Borussia Monchengladbach and FC Koln. The German National Football Museum in Dortmund is also well worth a visit. Due to TV, games are spread across the weekend; with my son we got to see 3 games in 4 games. On a non match day try and get to Wuppertal and ride the Schwebebahn  (suspension railway) - not to be missed!

D074275B-1F48-4F63-B17C-AB3952DD567F.jpeg

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It is.

Reminds me when I was on holiday in Italy about 4 years ago with mates- give or take a week it's 4 years, August 2015 anyway.

Looked on "nearby events" on FB and it said Fiorentina-AC Milan, opening night of season- problem is it was a Sunday evening and we went home on the Friday or the Saturday- certainly within distance of Florence if just a couple of days longer...nice opening round to the season!

Great story! ?

Archived