IGNORED

Weimann

daored

That run over / dummy for Joshs Goal (Brilliantly taken by Josh)

Delicious 

For me personally , His workmate and effort simply outstanding , his movement at times excellent and some moments in most games when you see he’s played in Prem 

If I was being really really really picky there is the odd moment when he might be better actually staying still / holding his position but that sounds crass 

Watching the game back again , together with Afobe,  their ‘leadership’ of the side from the front,  in terms of blocking , work on shape , talking to others , providing an outlet etc etc was superb and full of nous and experience

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Delicious 

For me personally , His workmate and effort simply outstanding , his movement at times excellent and some moments in most games when you see he’s played in Prem 

If I was being really really really picky there is the odd moment when he might be better actually staying still / holding his position but that sounds crass 

Watching the game back again , together with Afobe,  their ‘leadership’ of the side from the front,  in terms of blocking , work on shape , talking to others , providing an outlet etc etc was superb and full of nous and experience

Transitions from defending to attack that do not happen with Famara in the team. 

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Transitions from defending to attack that do not happen with Famara in the team. 

In Fanny’s defence  he’s normally the one making the clearance, he was one of our best defenders at corners sometimes last season

20 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

In Fanny’s defence  he’s normally the one making the clearance, he was one of our best defenders at corners sometimes last season

Defending set pieces are not generally thought of as transitions from defending to attack. Think along the lines of who helps the team press better, which two of three out of Afobe, Wiemann and Diedhiou? 

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Defending set pieces are not generally thought of as transitions from defending to attack. Think along the lines of who helps the team press better, which two of three out of Afobe, Wiemann and Diedhiou? 

Could Weimann as this team gels, perform the "trigger" role that Reid did 2 seasons ago, notably in the great 4-4-1-1 run.

I thought Weimann was average or poor in at least a third to half of the games last season. In the last 3 games he has been excellent. Really looks that player we had in his early games for us.

Goes to show how important systems are and who you have playing near you. Fam up top with him in a 442 he generally struggled. Wide right in a 4141 with Fam up top, he had some good games, but certainly at home looked lost. Often passing it back to Hunt, not having the natural attributes of a wide man to take on his man. Rarely even crossed the ball as couldn't work that yard of space that Eliasson can.

Up top in a 2, alongside a pacy strong forward, the class of Kasey in behind as well as mobile pair of midfielders who occasionally join in with attacks coming up, Weimann fits in perfectly.

It's not that Weimann was any worse last season than he is now..it's how LJ used him and who he had playing around him. He has 2 goals now, and would really be amazing if he could keep scoring at a decent rate all season. Hope he keeps this composure he has shown this season in key moments.

5 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Delicious 

Alan Ball’s father, who I understand was well respected in the football world, said to his son at Southampton, that the best skill Matt Le Tissier had was that he knew how to stand still and create space by standing still. 

I know Le Tiss wasn’t and energetic player, so maybe it suited him, but whilst all others were charging about, Le Tiss found space by standing still. 

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Alan Ball’s father, who I understand was well respected in the football world, said to his son at Southampton, that the best skill Matt Le Tissier had was that he knew how to stand still and create space by standing still. 

I know Le Tiss wasn’t and energetic player, so maybe it suited him, but whilst all others were charging about, Le Tiss found space by standing still. 

This is increasingly my tactic as my legs and brain both mature. Sadly I play centre half

10 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Delicious 

I think his partnership is better with Afobe, they seemed to have clicked immediately. When Diedhiou came on you could see him and Weinmann played further apart. 

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I thought Weimann was average or poor in at least a third to half of the games last season. In the last 3 games he has been excellent. Really looks that player we had in his early games for us.

Goes to show how important systems are and who you have playing near you. Fam up top with him in a 442 he generally struggled. Wide right in a 4141 with Fam up top, he had some good games, but certainly at home looked lost. Often passing it back to Hunt, not having the natural attributes of a wide man to take on his man. Rarely even crossed the ball as couldn't work that yard of space that Eliasson can.

Up top in a 2, alongside a pacy strong forward, the class of Kasey in behind as well as mobile pair of midfielders who occasionally join in with attacks coming up, Weimann fits in perfectly.

It's not that Weimann was any worse last season than he is now..it's how LJ used him and who he had playing around him. He has 2 goals now, and would really be amazing if he could keep scoring at a decent rate all season. Hope he keeps this composure he has shown this season in key moments.

As mentioned above, but I think saying he was poor in third to half his games last season is a bit far. But that’s your opinion but mine I think he wasn’t appreciated for his tireless running and then not getting picked out when in position. How many times did we see him getting forward to then having no one in attack with him? 

6 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I think his partnership is better with Afobe, they seemed to have clicked immediately. When Diedhiou came on you could see him and Weinmann played further apart. 

As mentioned above, but I think saying he was poor in third to half his games last season is a bit far. 

Dunno whether that was intentional or not.  Weimann (from memory) went right, almost in a 541.  Happy to be corrected.

For info, here’s Weimann with Afobe (left) and Diedhiou (right)

7848BA12-2CEC-4534-B547-545D6FF5E2EA.jpeg

2F7DA7E0-26D8-40D0-A5C3-AC478F330E31.jpeg

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He was made to look worse than he was because of fams  lack of and poor movement off the ball, it makes a big difference when they’re on the same wavelength . I know people love  fam for his work rate ( should be a given for any player ) but he’s not a very intelligent footballer 

9 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

I couldn’t believe some of the player ratings on here last night when he was one of our lowest

he was excellent. Didn’t stop running. Not once. Made some incredible runs that were pied off by team mates. Played a cruicial role in 2nd too

Almost seems cruel that technically he does not get an assist for the second as he did not touch it, which was what caused the assist!

19 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could Weimann as this team gels, perform the "trigger" role that Reid did 2 seasons ago, notably in the great 4-4-1-1 run.

Yes but I see that as all parts of the team need to moving towards that but the merit I see is how much more flexible the team becomes with a two of Afobe/Weimann is without the ball, instead of Famara being in a two. 

I think Weimann is a player that needs others to be on his wavelength. We've had a few like that over the years.. Trundle, Hartley, Noble, Gavin Williams, Sno, JET, Kodjia.. ones that have needed players to spot their runs or have almost a telepathic understanding of what they want to do. 

Several of those weren't utilised to their potential. Perhaps with Weimann.. now players like Palmer, Massengo, Afobe and Nagy are in the team, will make more of his intelligence and ability. 

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I chuckle when I think how I’d quickly describe our hard working Austrian to someone who hadn’t seen him

if Liam Robinson was a version of a style of footballers and Liam was a ‘Standard Version’

Weimann would be the significant upgrade , silver edition I reckon ! 

That’s uncanny, was only talking with someone last week who isn’t Weimann’s biggest fan, and often refers to him as being similar to Liam Robinson.  In fairness after the other night he did say Weimann is better than he thought, especially up top.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s uncanny, was only talking with someone last week who isn’t Weimann’s biggest fan, and often refers to him as being similar to Liam Robinson.  In fairness after the other night he did say Weimann is better than he thought, especially up top.

I thought Liam Robinson was undervalued here

He was no finisher but his game and workrate didn’t half make us a better team

His movement was also excellent

Archived