Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Recommended Posts

Please , please play him through the middle.

We may not have a twenty goal scorer but Afobe and Weimann will get 30 plus if played together 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredible stamina as well, along with Brownhill. If we can get a few more up to their levels (eg Palmer) we’ll be great. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only does he run himself into the ground, the movement he makes is quality as well. And when you've got a player like Kasey Palmer, who can not only spot his runs, but also play the pass too, it's more than worth having him in the team. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Great player, runs himself into the ground for our club, one of the most intelligent footballers we have at Bristol City. Top scorer this season thus far ... just can’t understand those who don’t rate him ...

Is there many of our fans that don’t rate him?? Wasted when played wide, such a clever player when played centrally  and like said before never stops working

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

You can judge how much someone knows about football by whether they appreciate Weimann or not. 

Couldn’t of put it any better myself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gordie said:

Is there many of our fans that don’t rate him?? Wasted when played wide, such a clever player when played centrally  and like said before never stops working

Plenty of people (on here and elsewhere) hark back to his scoreless run after Fammy came back into the team after his ban last season .... at that point Weimann had notched 5 goals in 5 games - but LJ just had to shoehorn his £5m man back in and Fammy got in the way, choked Weimann’s space and changed the way we play. Suddenly Pack couldn’t find Weimann’s intelligent runs because we had a big lump up front who forced Weimann to adapt his game. And eventually AW was shoved out wide - if we play him centrally with Afobe and stick KP in behind we will murder some sides and will be a constant menace in this division ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Plenty of people (on here and elsewhere) hark back to his scoreless run after Fammy came back into the team after his ban last season .... at that point Weimann had notched 5 goals in 5 games - but LJ just had to shoehorn his £5m man back in and Fammy got in the way, choked Weimann’s space and changed the way we play. Suddenly Pack couldn’t find Weimann’s intelligent runs because we had a big lump up front who changed the way Weimann had to play. And eventually AW was shoved out wide - if we play him centrally with Afobe and stick KP in behind we will murder some sides and will be a constant menace in this division ...

Fair enough, everything else I agree with you about him, got to be played centrally

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unbelievable fitness levels and fantastic awareness for the 2nd goal. Sets the standard for the rest of the team in terms of attitude and work rate.

Must have been fuming that Diedhou somehow managed not to play him through on goal towards the end but didn't have a hissy fit, just chased back.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great player. Intelligent. Relentlessly energetic. Needs the rest of the side to get on his wave length - and it seems that they have!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Great player, runs himself into the ground for our club, one of the most intelligent footballers we have at Bristol City. Top scorer this season thus far ... just can’t understand those who don’t rate him ...

Lacks a bit of composure and quality at times , but hes certainly working better alongside a striker with an actual football brain 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight was an impressive all round performance from the entire team. A well deserved win.

Wiemann  impressed with his energy and well taken goal. The back three were all superb. Brownhill took his goal perfectly. Messengo certainly didn’t look out of his depth at just 18.

Every reason to remain cautiously optimistic.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my favourite ever Andi performances (not quite up with Sheff U hat-trick!). Pivotal in both goals and relieved so much pressure defending from the front. Fam should have played him in for a brace opportunity. I’d honestly give him a 9/10. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daored said:

Please , please play him through the middle.

We may not have a twenty goal scorer but Afobe and Weimann will get 30 plus if played together 

19 each it is then.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very well taken goal tonight and a good all round performance.

2 goals from 4 league games is a decent start. I'm intrigued to see how many he can bag this season...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Andi 2, Bobby 0 so far this season as well isn’t it. 🤫

In the league it’s also Benik 1 Eddie 0 👏

Edited by Southport Red
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If players spotted his runs and he wasn't so quick that linesmen flagged him for being offside when he wasn't, he could have scored many more. He never stops running and knows how to score goals.

You could see that he was really up for it tonight though.

Edited by wendyredredrobin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was fantastic. Last 3 games very impressive. I think like Palmer, he needs the right players around him and the right system to get the best out of him.

With Palmer behind him and Afobe, Weimann does not have to do so much linking and dropping back, which I don't think is what he is that good at, but concentrate more on pressing the defence and being a forward.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what he does most games is very unappreciated by some. He makes clever moves that players we have got recently can feed off, maybe we needed a change of personelle to be able to make Andi shine, and a change of position of course for him. He just doesn’t work with Diedhiou, but that’s down to Diedhiou not him. A very selfless player, a real team player and I certainly enjoy watching him. He’s always got something to say to the Ref though, surprised he doesn’t get booked more for dissent, unless perhaps he has a point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gordie said:

Is there many of our fans that don’t rate him?? Wasted when played wide, such a clever player when played centrally  and like said before never stops working

I have seen at least one poster refer to him as a headless chicken. It’s quite useful in some ways as it means I know I can ignore the **** out of any of their other opinions.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I have seen at least one poster refer to him as a headless chicken. It’s quite useful in some ways as it means I know I can ignore the **** out of any of their other opinions.

More then one, I’ve argued with at least 5 who refer to him as that

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gordie said:

Is there many of our fans that don’t rate him?? Wasted when played wide, such a clever player when played centrally  and like said before never stops working

I don’t think there’s loads, just the noisy few that pop their heads out after a defeat

9 hours ago, Northern Red said:

You can judge how much someone knows about football by whether they appreciate Weimann or not. 

Could replace Weimann with several of our players over the years

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That run over / dummy for Joshs Goal (Brilliantly taken by Josh)

Delicious 

 

For me personally , His workmate and effort simply outstanding , his movement at times excellent and some moments in most games when you see he’s played in Prem 

If I was being really really really picky there is the odd moment when he might be better actually staying still / holding his position but that sounds crass 

Watching the game back again , together with Afobe,  their ‘leadership’ of the side from the front,  in terms of blocking , work on shape , talking to others , providing an outlet etc etc was superb and full of nous and experience

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

That run over / dummy for Joshs Goal (Brilliantly taken by Josh)

Delicious 

 

For me personally , His workmate and effort simply outstanding , his movement at times excellent and some moments in most games when you see he’s played in Prem 

If I was being really really really picky there is the odd moment when he might be better actually staying still / holding his position but that sounds crass 

Watching the game back again , together with Afobe,  their ‘leadership’ of the side from the front,  in terms of blocking , work on shape , talking to others , providing an outlet etc etc was superb and full of nous and experience

Transitions from defending to attack that do not happen with Famara in the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Transitions from defending to attack that do not happen with Famara in the team. 

In Fanny’s defence  he’s normally the one making the clearance, he was one of our best defenders at corners sometimes last season

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

In Fanny’s defence  he’s normally the one making the clearance, he was one of our best defenders at corners sometimes last season

Defending set pieces are not generally thought of as transitions from defending to attack. Think along the lines of who helps the team press better, which two of three out of Afobe, Wiemann and Diedhiou? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Defending set pieces are not generally thought of as transitions from defending to attack. Think along the lines of who helps the team press better, which two of three out of Afobe, Wiemann and Diedhiou? 

Could Weimann as this team gels, perform the "trigger" role that Reid did 2 seasons ago, notably in the great 4-4-1-1 run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Weimann was average or poor in at least a third to half of the games last season. In the last 3 games he has been excellent. Really looks that player we had in his early games for us.

Goes to show how important systems are and who you have playing near you. Fam up top with him in a 442 he generally struggled. Wide right in a 4141 with Fam up top, he had some good games, but certainly at home looked lost. Often passing it back to Hunt, not having the natural attributes of a wide man to take on his man. Rarely even crossed the ball as couldn't work that yard of space that Eliasson can.

Up top in a 2, alongside a pacy strong forward, the class of Kasey in behind as well as mobile pair of midfielders who occasionally join in with attacks coming up, Weimann fits in perfectly.

It's not that Weimann was any worse last season than he is now..it's how LJ used him and who he had playing around him. He has 2 goals now, and would really be amazing if he could keep scoring at a decent rate all season. Hope he keeps this composure he has shown this season in key moments.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn’t believe some of the player ratings on here last night when he was one of our lowest

 

 

he was excellent. Didn’t stop running. Not once. Made some incredible runs that were pied off by team mates. Played a cruicial role in 2nd too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

That run over / dummy for Joshs Goal (Brilliantly taken by Josh)

Delicious 

 

For me personally , His workmate and effort simply outstanding , his movement at times excellent and some moments in most games when you see he’s played in Prem 

If I was being really really really picky there is the odd moment when he might be better actually staying still / holding his position but that sounds crass 

Watching the game back again , together with Afobe,  their ‘leadership’ of the side from the front,  in terms of blocking , work on shape , talking to others , providing an outlet etc etc was superb and full of nous and experience

Alan Ball’s father, who I understand was well respected in the football world, said to his son at Southampton, that the best skill Matt Le Tissier had was that he knew how to stand still and create space by standing still. 

I know Le Tiss wasn’t and energetic player, so maybe it suited him, but whilst all others were charging about, Le Tiss found space by standing still. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Alan Ball’s father, who I understand was well respected in the football world, said to his son at Southampton, that the best skill Matt Le Tissier had was that he knew how to stand still and create space by standing still. 

I know Le Tiss wasn’t and energetic player, so maybe it suited him, but whilst all others were charging about, Le Tiss found space by standing still. 

This is increasingly my tactic as my legs and brain both mature. Sadly I play centre half

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

That run over / dummy for Joshs Goal (Brilliantly taken by Josh)

Delicious 

 

For me personally , His workmate and effort simply outstanding , his movement at times excellent and some moments in most games when you see he’s played in Prem 

If I was being really really really picky there is the odd moment when he might be better actually staying still / holding his position but that sounds crass 

Watching the game back again , together with Afobe,  their ‘leadership’ of the side from the front,  in terms of blocking , work on shape , talking to others , providing an outlet etc etc was superb and full of nous and experience

I think his partnership is better with Afobe, they seemed to have clicked immediately. When Diedhiou came on you could see him and Weinmann played further apart. 

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I thought Weimann was average or poor in at least a third to half of the games last season. In the last 3 games he has been excellent. Really looks that player we had in his early games for us.

Goes to show how important systems are and who you have playing near you. Fam up top with him in a 442 he generally struggled. Wide right in a 4141 with Fam up top, he had some good games, but certainly at home looked lost. Often passing it back to Hunt, not having the natural attributes of a wide man to take on his man. Rarely even crossed the ball as couldn't work that yard of space that Eliasson can.

Up top in a 2, alongside a pacy strong forward, the class of Kasey in behind as well as mobile pair of midfielders who occasionally join in with attacks coming up, Weimann fits in perfectly.

It's not that Weimann was any worse last season than he is now..it's how LJ used him and who he had playing around him. He has 2 goals now, and would really be amazing if he could keep scoring at a decent rate all season. Hope he keeps this composure he has shown this season in key moments.

As mentioned above, but I think saying he was poor in third to half his games last season is a bit far. But that’s your opinion but mine I think he wasn’t appreciated for his tireless running and then not getting picked out when in position. How many times did we see him getting forward to then having no one in attack with him? 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I think his partnership is better with Afobe, they seemed to have clicked immediately. When Diedhiou came on you could see him and Weinmann played further apart. 

As mentioned above, but I think saying he was poor in third to half his games last season is a bit far. 

Dunno whether that was intentional or not.  Weimann (from memory) went right, almost in a 541.  Happy to be corrected.

For info, here’s Weimann with Afobe (left) and Diedhiou (right)

 

7848BA12-2CEC-4534-B547-545D6FF5E2EA.jpeg

2F7DA7E0-26D8-40D0-A5C3-AC478F330E31.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I thought Weimann was average or poor in at least a third to half of the games last season. In the last 3 games he has been excellent. Really looks that player we had in his early games for us.

Goes to show how important systems are and who you have playing near you. Fam up top with him in a 442 he generally struggled. Wide right in a 4141 with Fam up top, he had some good games, but certainly at home looked lost. Often passing it back to Hunt, not having the natural attributes of a wide man to take on his man. Rarely even crossed the ball as couldn't work that yard of space that Eliasson can.

Up top in a 2, alongside a pacy strong forward, the class of Kasey in behind as well as mobile pair of midfielders who occasionally join in with attacks coming up, Weimann fits in perfectly.

It's not that Weimann was any worse last season than he is now..it's how LJ used him and who he had playing around him. He has 2 goals now, and would really be amazing if he could keep scoring at a decent rate all season. Hope he keeps this composure he has shown this season in key moments.

He was made to look worse than he was because of fams  lack of and poor movement off the ball, it makes a big difference when they’re on the same wavelength . I know people love  fam for his work rate ( should be a given for any player ) but he’s not a very intelligent footballer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

I couldn’t believe some of the player ratings on here last night when he was one of our lowest

 

 

he was excellent. Didn’t stop running. Not once. Made some incredible runs that were pied off by team mates. Played a cruicial role in 2nd too

Almost seems cruel that technically he does not get an assist for the second as he did not touch it, which was what caused the assist!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could Weimann as this team gels, perform the "trigger" role that Reid did 2 seasons ago, notably in the great 4-4-1-1 run.

Yes but I see that as all parts of the team need to moving towards that but the merit I see is how much more flexible the team becomes with a two of Afobe/Weimann is without the ball, instead of Famara being in a two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I chuckle when I think how I’d quickly describe our hard working Austrian to someone who hadn’t seen him

if Liam Robinson was a version of a style of footballers and Liam was a ‘Standard Version’

Weimann would be the significant upgrade , silver edition I reckon ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Weimann is a player that needs others to be on his wavelength. We've had a few like that over the years.. Trundle, Hartley, Noble, Gavin Williams, Sno, JET, Kodjia.. ones that have needed players to spot their runs or have almost a telepathic understanding of what they want to do. 

Several of those weren't utilised to their potential. Perhaps with Weimann.. now players like Palmer, Massengo, Afobe and Nagy are in the team, will make more of his intelligence and ability. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I chuckle when I think how I’d quickly describe our hard working Austrian to someone who hadn’t seen him

if Liam Robinson was a version of a style of footballers and Liam was a ‘Standard Version’

Weimann would be the significant upgrade , silver edition I reckon ! 

That’s uncanny, was only talking with someone last week who isn’t Weimann’s biggest fan, and often refers to him as being similar to Liam Robinson.  In fairness after the other night he did say Weimann is better than he thought, especially up top.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...