IGNORED

Player Ratings

And Its Smith

Just got back to the hotel five minutes walk from Pride Park. What a game. Amazing as well that so many games are on the red button meaning loads more fans can watch games like that! 

The feeling of nausea has passed so let’s see opinions on everyone

Bentley 7 - got distances a bit wrong with his clearances first half but great save on around 40 minutes and generally solid second half. A couple of flaps which we haven’t seen much of from him before

Hunt 6 - this formation means little help for the wing backs and despite being poor in possession I think Hunt was pretty good today. Big part in second goal

Moore 8 - rock solid in the air, strong and composed as ever on the ball. Overlapped well at times 

Kalas 9 - Suberb goal saving deflection tackle first half and the leader on the back five again 

Baker 8 - headed and kicked everything as per usual. Only slight criticism is lack of support for Rowe. Moore offered more support for Hunt

Rowe 6 - considering lack of support I think he did okay overall. Poor first half but stuck to his task doggedly second.

Massengo 8 - what a player we have here. Never seen energy like it for 90 minutes. Reads the game so well and knows exactly when his opponent can be robbed. 

Brownhill 8 - I really like Josh in his slightly more disciplined roll. Great break forward to score. Really surprised to see criticism of him on here

Palmer 8 - simply amazing first half. Calming influence. We needed him after he went off but understand why sub was made and don’t really disagree with it 

Weimann 7 - ran himself into the ground as per usual. Great composure for goal and much better centrally

Afobe 8 - unfortunately when Fam came on it only highlighted further what an upgrade Afobe is. Won headers and ran channels all game. 

Subs
Pereira 6 - not on long but solid 
COD 6 - looked rusty but defended pretty well 
Fam 5 - really poor I thought. I’m a big fan but not tonight 

Johnson - 9 got it pretty spot on tonight and players are growing into this system. Would have been a 10 but second half we got sucked into playing too deep

Bentley - 8 - Solid, good distribution and excellent time wasting!

Hunt - 6 - Good assist for the 2nd goal, otherwise would have been a 5. Defensively suspect as usual, needlessly gave the ball away several times when got forward.

Moore/Kalas/Baker - 9s - for all three of them, really good CB play throughout. Cannot leave any of those 3 out for Ashley Williams after that performance.

Rowe - 6 - Stuck at it, clearly not really comfortable when in left back position but battled away.

Massengo - 9 - All over the pitch, read the game really well, closed out a lot of their play outside the box.

Brownhill - 9 - Easily his best performance of the season, very timely with Nagy out. Great take for the 2nd goal, I'd just make him out MotM.

Afobe - 8 - Worked well, held the ball up, always looked a threat and hence occupied their CBs.

Weimann - 8 - Coolly taken goal, chased and harried to more effect than in previous games.

Palmer - 7 - Played 3 or 4 delightful forward passes cutting through the Derby defence in first half and worked really hard too. Never really got into the game 2nd half, maybe carrying a knock?

Subs:

COD - 6 - Did OK without overly impressing.

Fammy - 5 - Poor for me, although had a series of hopeful balls to contest, didn't work enough. Hardly held the ball up at all. Also twice missed opportunities to play in Weimann because of poor decision making.

Pedro - not on long enough to rate.

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Kalas 9 - Suberb goal saving deflection tackle first half and the leader on the back five again 

Tried to find his old thread but yeh just wanted to say that after a rocky start to the season he was back to his best tonight. Derby attacked and attacked, getting down the wings and putting balls into the box all night. Nothing* came of those attacks because at the centre of the teflon-coated iron curtain that was our defence was our Czech monolith. Brilliant performance.

*bar a brilliant goal from Marriott

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Tried to find his old thread but yeh just wanted to say that after a rocky start to the season he was back to his best tonight. Derby attacked and attacked, getting down the wings and putting balls into the box all night. Nothing* came of those attacks because at the centre of the teflon-coated iron curtain that was our defence was our Czech monolith. Brilliant performance.

*bar a brilliant goal from Marriott

He was Saturday , back to his very best

And his stats on Saturday were excellent and backed up what we saw

Thought everyone was good except Hunt really. Yes he got a good assist but think that was only successful pass he made to a team mate. A real liability in the long run. 

Fammy I guess not the best off the bench although the aimless punts up his way never help. 

Weimann, Kalas, Baker and Bentley real standouts. Massengo got obvious ability and did well. Afobe also worked well with AW and Palmer. 

15 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Just got back to the hotel five minutes walk from Pride Park. What a game. Amazing as well that so many games are on the red button meaning loads more fans can watch games like that! 

Bentley 7 - got distances a bit wrong with his clearances first half but great save on around 40 minutes and generally solid second half. A couple of flaps which we haven’t seen much of from him before

Hunt 6 - this formation means little help for the wing backs and despite being poor in possession I think Hunt was pretty good today. Big part in second goal

Moore 8 - rock solid in the air, strong and composed as ever on the ball. Overlapped well at times 

Baker 8 - headed and kicked everything as per usual. Only slight criticism is lack of support for Rowe. Moore offered more support for Hunt

Rowe 6 - considering lack of support I think he did okay overall. Poor first half but stuck to his task doggedly second.

Massengo 8 - what a player we have here. Never seen energy like it for 90 minutes. Reads the game so well and knows exactly when his opponent can be robbed. 

Brownhill 8 - I really like Josh in his slightly more disciplined roll. Great break forward to score. Really surprised to see criticism of him on here

Palmer 8 - simply amazing first half. Calming influence. We needed him after he went off but understand why sub was made and don’t really disagree with it 

Weimann 7 - ran himself into the ground as per usual. Great composure for goal and much better centrally

Afobe 8 - unfortunately when Fam came on it only highlighted further what an upgrade Afobe is. Won headers and ran channels all game. 

Subs

Johnson - 9 got it pretty spot on tonight and players are growing into this system. Would have been a 10 but second half we got sucked into playing too deep

Mostly agree thought AW was superb though

Everyone played their part tonight. The back 3 stood out along with Massengo and Brownhill. The whole teams workrate and fitness levels were exceptional. Bentley has been very good in the last 2 games and Afobe has made a big difference with the way he holds the ball up and the clever powerful runs he makes. I loved tonight's performance. Really proud of the boys and LJ. Onto Hull.

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Fair enough. I was at a wedding Saturday so didn't see the game. Consistently back to his best shall we say instead?

Apologies - I was agreeing with what you are saying but prob didn’t come across so :thumbsup:

He was nowhere near his best against Leeds, I didn’t se Brum But was back to his best Sat and as you say tonight so your point is still on the money

Very heartening to see him looking so good

Can’t rate the players tonight....was an all round fantastic team performance.

My MOTM - probably Baker, but could’ve been Kalas, could’ve been Moore, could’ve been Weimann.

What a full debut from Massengo.  Wasn’t MOTM, but so impressed.  Football intelligence? C’est Magnifique!

Also, a little shout to Jack Hunt.  Got through some miles up and down tonight.  Frustrating trying to pass through players, but credit the guy - our RWB to bust a gut and back up Weimann’s press on Roos, punch the ball off Malone....and when it mattered, play a super ball back behind the retreating defenders for Brownhill to score.  He ain’t perfect, but lots of heart.

41 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Subs

With all the rave reviews I’m hearing for Massengo, an 8 seems harsh!

Genuine question Dave - what does he need to add to get a 9 or 10?

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

With all the rave reviews I’m hearing for Massengo, an 8 seems harsh!

Genuine question Dave - what does he need to add to get a 9 or 10?

I never give many 9’s. Only one tonight. 

Massengo did little wrong clearly. Just misplaced a few passes in midfield and got caught on the ball twice but that’s it. Superb performance 

48 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Subs

Bit harsh.

What flaps? His kicking was absolutely fine too. 

3 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Bit harsh.

What flaps? His kicking was absolutely fine too. 

Came and didn’t get one cross first half and one second half.

First half a lot of his balls to Afobe were too long. Granted he is better than most we have had from the floor and maybe I am judging him against what I know his ability is. It still happened though 

Seem to be going against the majority. Thought Hunt was excellent away at QPR but very poor tonight and Saturday. So bad on the ball when under no real pressure. Bring on Pereira. Overall great performance. May just be in love with Massengo and Nagy

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Came and didn’t get one cross first half and one second half.

First half a lot of his balls to Afobe were too long. Granted he is better than most we have had from the floor and maybe I am judging him against what I know his ability is. It still happened though 

Afobe didn’t jump for many of them, let’s be honest. 

Wouldn’t say they were flaps. Both times he came out and punched the danger away, and convincingly too.

Archived