IGNORED

Emerson, Lake and Palmer (Weimann, Afobe and Palmer)

Davefevs

Think there will be a lot of plaudits for our front two tonight, both in terms of how well they’ve played together in 232 minutes total so far, but workrate, and options etc.  We are seeing the birth of a partnership that could realise 30+ goals.

But I wanted to call out the third key element...Kasey Palmer.  His early passes tonight into the front two, either them coming short or getting on the shoulder set the tone early on, gave City a springboard for attacks and ultimately was key to a very uncomfortable first 45 for Clarke (the wonder boy of the stats guys on Twitter) and Keogh.  They ended up switching to a 3 with Bielik for the second 45 as a result.

Another assist two from his shot, and again we are seeing Kasey’s improved workrate....which is starting to endear the sceptics to him, and means he can contribute to a team performance (which we didn’t see last season).  The little green icons are all positive interactions, like interceptions, tackles won, etc,.

A3D2DBBD-544D-48D6-BEC1-E3F3459A4A7F.thumb.jpeg.3867e4e4a24caec535bf259f810a8317.jpeg

I was glad he got an assit for his mishit shot because that ball into Wieman at the beginning of that move was something else and deserved an assist. We just haven't had a player who can pick a pass like that and it means we are a threat through the middle in a way we haven't been in a long time. 

Check it out in this clip: 

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Think there will be a lot of plaudits for our front two tonight, both in terms of how well they’ve played together in 232 minutes total so far, but workrate, and options etc.  We are seeing the birth of a partnership that could realise 30+ goals.

But I wanted to call out the third key element...Kasey Palmer.  His early passes tonight into the front two, either them coming short or getting on the shoulder set the tone early on, gave City a springboard for attacks and ultimately was key to a very uncomfortable first 45 for Clarke (the wonder boy of the stats guys on Twitter) and Keogh.  They ended up switching to a 3 with Bielik for the second 45 as a result.

Another assist two from his shot, and again we are seeing Kasey’s improved workrate....which is starting to endear the sceptics to him, and means he can contribute to a team performance (which we didn’t see last season).  The little green icons are all positive interactions, like interceptions, tackles won, etc,.

A3D2DBBD-544D-48D6-BEC1-E3F3459A4A7F.thumb.jpeg.3867e4e4a24caec535bf259f810a8317.jpeg

Great post Dave

Being a crap nervous watcher of City live and opting out for most of last night - I’m Working my way through last nights game in watch , rewind ,watch mode Dave 

In the first four minutes he puts Afobe all but ‘in’ 3 times !!!!

Wow

Wasnt overly wild about signing him but he’s showing that on the ball he can be simply too good for the Championship 

Also that goal highlights the all round great movement of that front 3. If you pause it when Palmer plays the ball in there are 8 players between him and the goal (7 on on screen the LB just out of shot). Palmer, Afobe and Wieman are then in the right place throughout the move and free of markers. If Wieman isn't on the end of Palmers shot then Afobe is right there too. 

Side note just realised Palmer, Afobe and Wieman make the acronym PAW so we call them a Front PAW! ?    ?   ?   ?

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Great post Dave

Being a crap nervous watcher of City live and opting out for most of last night - I’m Working my way through last nights game in watch , rewind ,watch mode Dave 

Wow

Wasnt overly wild about signing him but he’s showing that on the ball he can be simply too good for the Championship 

Where are you finding the full game? I'd like to rewatch but can't seem to find it?

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Sorry Rich

I taped it off the red button

? Ahhh makes sense. I might have to start recording them myself. Last season they had a phase of putting the full match up on Robins TV but don't seem to be doing that this year. Sometimes you just want to go back and relive one little bit that stuck in your mind. Or so many people say something that seems so off to you, that you want to go back and make sure your not crazy!

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Great post Dave

Wow

Glad you’ve seen the error of your ways!!! ?

I know the transfer window doesn’t help, but how many managers / head coaches spend all pre-season coming up with their master plan and for one reason or another have scrapped it by the end of August?

I sit here 4 League games in, thinking, LJ was never planning to go 5212 this season, but it might just be the system that allows him to get the best out of several players, whilst allowing rotation.

I wrote a piece last season (pre-Xmas) that suggested if you dispensed with trying to play wingers we could easily morph into a 532, with someone like COD / Morrell / Walsh helping rotate a flat 3 in midfield with the mainstays Pack and Brownhill.  Recruiting WBs is not easy, but all the other positions are.

Going back to LJ’s master plan....maybe I do him a disservice.....was our best performance of pre-season the time we played 532 in Florida...albeit for 45 minutes (thunder and lightning) only.

Who were our opponents that night?  Philip Cocu’s Derby County!!

Hunt was excellent that night.  Taylor Moore replaced dead-legged Kalas in a back 3 after 20 minutes.  Szmodics, Brownhill and Rowe in midfield breaking the lines.

I wonder if LJ used that history....wouldn’t surprise me.

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 18:56, WhistleHappy said:

As long as the defence don`t act like Pictures At An Exhibition

Nathan Baker does a pretty good impression of Tarkus when he`s in full flow mind

On 21/08/2019 at 08:04, CHAZ MICHAELS said:

Palmer seems to have a bit more room to play in away from home.

Palmer's ball to Weimann which eventually led to the first goal was sublime again. Great movement from Weimann also.

No no laddy,, "all Weimann does is run around a lot,,can't see what else he brings to the side"....

Where are they at the moment?

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

Palmer is a great acquisition, let’s keep getting him fitter and stronger.

As @BobBobSuper Bob!! says , at times he look too good for this league - hopefully those times keep increasing.

Added to that he comes across as a top bloke.

Thanks mate

You come across as a top geezer too

On 21/08/2019 at 18:39, Davefevs said:

Palmer and Weimann....both ex-Derby, so might have already built a run / pass relationship before they came together at City.

KP alluded to this last season.

I forget which game it was (Sheffield UTD away?), but KP anticipated AW's run and threaded through a beautiful ball from which AW scored.

KP mentioned in his post-match interview that he knew where AW was going to go as they had practised such moves at Derby. 

On 21/08/2019 at 00:10, Davefevs said:

Ah well, from the beginning it's all an endless enigma !:cool:

8 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

KP alluded to this last season.

I forget which game it was (Sheffield UTD away?), but KP anticipated AW's run and threaded through a beautiful ball from which AW scored.

KP mentioned in his post-match interview that he knew where AW was going to go as they had practised such moves at Derby. 

Think it might’ve been Forest away....when Weimann (from Palmer’s pass) assisted Diedhiou.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think it might’ve been Forest away....when Weimann (from Palmer’s pass) assisted Diedhiou.

(Think the video was on James Twitter )

A goal for Derby with a mesmerising run by a young Palmer and a little ball to put Weimann in to score !

https://mobile.twitter.com/jbcfc_/status/1156645886300217345

Archived