IGNORED

Match Report: Most complete LJ performance yet leaves Derby well beaten

Olé

2 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

I thought it a very poor second half all round. We sat in and invited the poorest Derby team I've ever seen to come at us. Yes we coped pretty well other than giving Marriot a couple of yards space in our box. Hunt was more a 5 than a 9 with a couple of decent forays forward but poor passing and defending overall. O'Dowda is not the central midfielder to come on and sit in defending a lead. Fammy got bossed by Keogh and once again did not play his weight. The back three and Bentley were imperious throughout. Brownhill, Massengo and Palmer bossed the first half but appeared to stand off in the second, why? We could have taken them for 4 or 5 so poor were they and so good were we first half. 

Miserable git of Cheshire 

I agree about the 2nd half - we did sit back and invite pressure and didn’t retain possession for long enough. It made for an tense, uncomfortable last 30 mins or so and is a risky tactic. We defended admirably, but had they scored 10 mins earlier we might have been in trouble. 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It was tommy Rowe who didn’t close him down tightly / quickly enough, but would be harsh as the touch and turn really top drawer 

Really exceptional goal / finish 

And nice to see you posting sensibly today

B1B55496-A08D-4437-8885-F84FCED22C74.png

BE7CCF2D-A50E-4188-A813-0C2879325FE3.png

Having watched it a few times I personally wouldn't blame any defender for that. For Marriott to be back to goal then find the top corner (with bend) is exceptional.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

It was a good performance. But for me 2 players played poorly - our wing backs. Derby were far worse than last season. Said before the game we should be winning this as I thought we had the better team on paper. Of course credit to LJ who put this side together. We did a good job. But there's been better performances under LJ imo, especially considering we've had much worse sides than this that have beaten much better opposition.

I don’t think any of them were poor.  Were they at the same level as the rest of the team? No, but not poor. 

In a team it is rare for everyone to play at the same level. 

It could be that LJ is using our WBs as the “sacrificial lambs” to allow the rest of the team to function at its best. 

How often did we curse only having one up top last season, but it was done to allow us to not get overrun in the middle of the park. 

Early days admittedly, but if our WBs are getting 5/6 out of ten to allow the other 8 outfield players to be getting 7/8/9 out of 10, that to me sounds like a very sensible plan. 

If WBs sacrificing their individual performance ratings to allow all 3 of Afobe, Weimann and Palmer to play effectively together, then bring it on. 

If Hunt, Pereira and Rowe get 7/10 in a back 4 and it means we can’t play the 3 above together, to me we’ve made the wrong team style choice. 

I know that’s not what you really meant JD, but It’s conceivable that the traditional WB role we expect is not the expectation of the head coach.... and it’s contributed 7 points from 3 games. 

I think we will know much more about the strengths and weaknesses of this team / players / style after 10 games!

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think any of them were poor.  Were they at the same level as the rest of the team? No, but not poor. 

In a team it is rare for everyone to play at the same level. 

It could be that LJ is using our WBs as the “sacrificial lambs” to allow the rest of the team to function at its best. 

How often did we curse only having one up top last season, but it was done to allow us to not get overrun in the middle of the park. 

Early days admittedly, but if our WBs are getting 5/6 out of ten to allow the other 8 outfield players to be getting 7/8/9 out of 10, that to me sounds like a very sensible plan. 

If WBs sacrificing their individual performance ratings to allow all 3 of Afobe, Weimann and Palmer to play effectively together, then bring it on. 

If Hunt, Pereira and Rowe get 7/10 in a back 4 and it means we can’t play the 3 above together, to me we’ve made the wrong team style choice. 

I know that’s not what you really meant JD, but It’s conceivable that the traditional WB role we expect is not the expectation of the head coach.... and it’s contributed 7 points from 3 games. 

I think we will know much more about the strengths and weaknesses of this team / players / style after 10 games!

But if we had a better left wing back playing like for example Dasilva was fit, then I doubt he'd struggle at all. He'd probably be outstanding and not suffer from this system one bit.

Rowe's problem to me is that he struggles to cope with one player running at him with the ball, which would happen in any system for a left back/wing back. And going forward he has not yet really offered much at all. Early days but feel it looks like a weak area with Dasilva out.

And with Hunt i just think he kept giving it away poorly. He's just been careless these last two games with basic control and often simple passes. He's had poor moments defensively too, but I don't think that's been so much the main problem with him. He's decent enough in one on one situations, certainly not great but not easy to run at for most wingers.

But anyway my main point is they clearly were not 9 out of 10.

26 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

But if we had a better left wing back playing like for example Dasilva was fit, then I doubt he'd struggle at all. He'd probably be outstanding and not suffer from this system one bit.

Rowe's problem to me is that he struggles to cope with one player running at him with the ball, which would happen in any system for a left back/wing back. And going forward he has not yet really offered much at all. Early days but feel it looks like a weak area with Dasilva out.

And with Hunt i just think he kept giving it away poorly. He's just been careless these last two games with basic control and often simple passes. He's had poor moments defensively too, but I don't think that's been so much the main problem with him. He's decent enough in one on one situations, certainly not great but not easy to run at for most wingers.

Dasilva got ripped to pieces against Leeds so may not be the case

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Nice report. Great performance.

Taylor Moore was immense as was Kalas and Baker.

Great save from Bentley, the boy wonder was excellent. 

Really you have to be a bit sad to say anyone played ‘badly’

Agree - Loved seeing our defenders putting their body on the line and everyone battling for the ball.

A great team effort.

Travelling fans deserve credit too.

26 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Dasilva got ripped to pieces against Leeds so may not be the case

I think he would cope fine against Jozefzoon, who hasn't been that good for them imo. Dasilva is decent in one on ones against most in this league.

53 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Dasilva - of course that would be the hope, but we’ve yet to see whether he would be as effective at LWB as he is at LB.  all the indications are he would, but doesn’t always work like.

I thought Weimann and Diedhiou would be a perfect combination (having seen Weimann play off Benteke at a higher level), yet it wasn’t because of the positions they took up / runs they made.

Re Rob’s 9/10, I’m pretty sure they weren’t done on an individual basis, more symbolic of a team performance that didn’t justify marking anyone down.

17 hours ago, Olé said:

Lee Johnson has had his share of impressive away performances - at Fulham in his first full season, and at Sheffield United and Middlesbrough as part of fine away form last campaign, but this was easily the most complete performance ever produced by the City manager.

The two teams finished last season head on for a final play-off place and while City were second best then, the roles were convincingly reversed now as Johnson’s new look - and imperious - side made their Derby hosts look distinctly second best in every phase of their meeting.

Where Johnson made his team an attacking threat in his early years, and a defensive, grind-it-out winner away from home last campaign, today he oversaw a complete display of football, energetic players at both ends in full control, and 18 year old Han-Noah Massengo a revelation.

It is testament to the City manager’s bold transfer dealings, finally shuffling the pack on his remaining League One assets and quickly fashioning a new, determined, well organised, high class side, that made relatively easy work of a disappointing Derby team, who were well beaten.

Indeed City completely bossed a one sided first half, getting Afobe in behind the defence after just 5 minutes on a channel ball, muscling past a defender, storming along the byline and crossing deep - from the header back Weimann unleashing an early shot that was well blocked.

Already teenager Massengo was influential, winning the ball twice as Derby tried to break, and after 10 minutes the dangerous Weimann saw an early shot blocked, Massengo recovering to beat his marker, and cut back to Palmer, who flashed a 30 yard low show just wide of goal.

It was one way traffic and minutes later Baker came racing out to meet a header in his own half and headed decisively on for Afobe, who was chopped down, but the referee waved play on and Weimann, increasingly the pick of City’s attacking threats, charged in at the Derby defence.

After the quarter hour City’s darting runs and clinical passing told, as Palmer, a maestro at the heart of City’s midfield, threaded a 25 yard slide rule pass behind the home defence, but Hunt wasted the cross, only for Afobe to seize on the clearance and head City back into possession.

Palmer again tried his luck, but this time the ball span invitingly for Weimann with just keeper and defender to beat at close range, and the former Derby man took his time to turn his opponents before steering a shot unerringly into the far corner, putting City into a deserved lead.

The game deteriorated as Derby, obviously second best when City played both with pace and ability to quickly step into intercept their passes in midfield, became increasingly desperate, flying clumsily into challenges and drawing a succession of fouls, particularly off Kasey Palmer.

Their fans, perhaps starved of the repeated advantage referees delivered them in the run in last season, became more and more incensed at the match officials, failing to spot the difference between crude challenges on Palmer, and City’s routinely fleet footed interceptions of host players.

Derby’s best chance of the half came before the break as Lawrence was given space to attack from the left, racing into the area to draw a save from Bentley. At the other end despite Derby’s ongoing howling protests, the ref actually aided the hosts, turning a clear corner into a throw in.

But it was still only City who were seizing on possession and breaking, and just before the interval Rowe made a bursting run into the box, lifting a ball across which was cleared to Brownhill, who shimmied past a couple of markers on the edge of the box but couldn’t convert the volley.

And on the stroke of half time the visitors deservedly went further in front against their by now shell-shocked hosts, full back Hunt intercepting on the right and lifting a fast cross into the box, which goalscorer Weimann dummied, leaving a clear bounce for Brownhill to fire home from 20 yards.

Relative to a largely one-sided first half - which had been bossed by the vision and pace of Palmer and Massengo, and the tireless running of Weimann - the second period was short on action and high on the sort of first-ball defending which characterised Baker and Kalas on Saturday.

As well as heading clear anything which arrived in the City box, the visitors were also stepping in to intercept attacks around the box through Palmer, Brownhill and Massengo, giving the home team little scope to mount a serious comeback, and leaving plenty of room to counter attack.

On 55 minutes in a rare moment of threat, Weimann wriggled clear on the left and lifted an inviting ball for Afobe who had 3 defenders in close attention but managed to strong arm space to run in on goal, for a moment going clear, only to be ensnared by his markers as steadying to shoot.

Minutes later careless Derby gave possession away cheaply again and the tireless Weimann ran at the hosts backline before trying to feed the relentless Massengo, only to see the pass deflected. By now faultless City were tiring and the first change saw O’Dowda replace an exhausted Palmer.

City were still coping admirably with Derby corners and crosses and on the midway point of the half sub O’Dowda set off on the left before exchanging passes with Rowe, momentarily losing possession, then recovering and skipping into the box before firing a right foot shot across goal.

The sides both revised their front-lines - Derby introducing super-sub Marriott and City bringing on out of favour Diedhiou, and for once the latter really did look like the weak link, static up front and easily brushed the ball as the home side finally started to exert some control on the fixture.

City’s back three were doing fine work of blocking, heading clear, or tidying up Derby attacks but not long after the visitors final change - Pereira for Hunt - sub Marriott got the hosts back into the game, striding onto a pass inside the right of the box, and curling decisively into the far corner.

By now the away fans were singing relentlessly about Massengo - who continued to charge round like a man possessed, intercepting passes or finding neat touches to open space for teammates - and with this endeavour, and his teams belief, it was inevitable Johnson’s men would hang on.

Derby fans, who resorted early on to continually haranguing the referee as a result of their own teams lack of speed or quality in the challenge, were already by now streaming out, a fitting acknowledgement that despite being only one goal in it, they had been well well beaten by Bristol City.

For Johnson, the sight of his new look side in a commanding all round performance: a second consecutive imperious display from Taylor, Kalas and Baker, and a stunning impact for star teenager Massengo, means that shuffling his deck has created a hugely enhanced Championship contender.

Bentley 9 Handling calm and comfortable when called upon, rarely tested by Derby but always ready to deal with it, and controlled game speed

Kalas 9 Same as Saturday, sticking every part of his body in front of forward balls at the first opportunity, Derby were never able to beat him

Baker 9 Same as Kalas and same as Saturday, attacked everything, also a very clean game by his standards, hard to beat but professional with it

Moore 9 Improving and best performance yet in City shirt, neat and tidy in possession, mature cutting out attacks, not least final few high balls

Hunt 9 A couple of times they got in behind him - as always the way - but crucial to setting up our second, and overall much more controlled

Rowe 9 A fine performance, got up and down and stayed closer to markers than previous games - looked unlikely to last but never stopped going

Brownhill 9 Got stuck in off the ball all the time, broke up plan, there to tee up Palmer, and decisive finish for the second goal on stroke of half time

Massengo 10 Not truly a 10/10 performance but based on his age and experience of the Championship he was comfortably in the perfect bracket

Palmer 9 Never stopped picking up the ball in our own box and attacking, drew plenty of fouls, the odd loose touch, but just a nightmare to play against

Weimann 9 Probably a 9.5 if I’m honest, took his first goal well under pressure, and did even better with the dummy to allow Brownhill to grab second

Afobe 9 Didn’t have the clear chances today but in terms of speed, mobility and physicality ran the line better than anyone we’ve had for a while

O’Dowda 7 One good run nearly contrived a third, didn't quite have the same speed and tenacity as those around him

Diedhiou 4 When given the chance to contribute to a battling, energetic performance, he appeared to arrive and look unwilling to run or focus

Pereira 5 Not asked to do much when on, Hunt having a good game made it hard for him to improve on that

There's not too much to argue with here. We were sublime in the first half, full of energy making Derby play back much of the time, and in front of us the rest of the time. The only real chance was the Lawrence effort well saved by Bentley, with Moore in close guard. 

There was a clear purpose to our play. The pressing was not constant but seemed carefully crafted, releasing Palmer, Brownhill, Massengo or Hunt in turn, and we were quick to get in shape when the ball was lost. The back 3 were superbly martialed by Kalas. Unlike good old Frankie, Bentleys kicking was wery deliberately aimed at an individual, or at least until Fam came on. It was the late substitution of Afobe for Fam where we lost our way a little. It looked bad as again he seemed unable to hang on to the ball, but this is a little unfair as again he was isolated. From Weimann playing up alongside Benik, he dropped deeper when Fam came on and didn't offer the same support. While it would be hard to give Fam a mark above 5, I would at least give him that as he won a few vital free kicks in the last few minutes helping to run the clock down. 

Poor old Hunt.  He worked his socks off all game and effectively closed off the left wing of Derby so successfully that they doubled up down the right as they saw Rowe as the weakness. Hence the O’Dowda for Palmer swap.  I don’t care how sophisticated or intricate the right back/wing back is provided he stops the opposition from exploiting that side of the pitch.

MOM was Baker, absolutely unbeatable, and worth a bonus point for all the flack he gets.

Archived