IGNORED

Window for Managers?

CyderInACan

Just struck me as odd that players are very much restricted as to when they may take up an offer of alternative employment, but managers aren't. I guess that sometimes they are unemployed and therefore free to go where they want when they want, but far too often Club X has a shit start and poaches Club Y's manager, throwing them into disarray. 

One rule for one and one for another. Any thoughts? 

I think it's a decent idea in principle - but in practice not realistic.

Clubs would never agree to it - and things could become very very toxic if a manager clearly needed to go, but the club couldn't get rid of him. Think how poisonous it was during the last days of O'Driscoll, Gary Johnson, McInnes, Cotterill.. Attendances would plummet, players might refuse to play for X manager.. could get very messy.

28 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Just struck me as odd that players are very much restricted as to when they may take up an offer of alternative employment, but managers aren't. I guess that sometimes they are unemployed and therefore free to go where they want when they want, but far too often Club X has a shit start and poaches Club Y's manager, throwing them into disarray. 

Good thought - a managers window isn’t something I’d never considered.

Obviously if a manager is unemployed then that’s not an issue but having a time restriction on a club sacking their manager after a run of poor results would be interesting to say the least! 

I guess it works both ways - a manager would know he’s safe until the window which could be helpful to stop the rot but a disadvantage to his employer who see getting rid of him is the only option. 

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Clubs would never agree to it - and things could become very very toxic if a manager clearly needed to go, but the club couldn't get rid of him

Well - in that situation you would have to promote from with - the Asst Manager or another member of the coaching staff or appoint a player manager from within the squad. 

It is something I've considered in the past and have discussed with friends, but like others I'm still unsure as to the practicalities. I think if you couldn't just drop a manager 3 games in I'm for it. I always think that a manager needs time to get his players to buy in playing his way, but it seems one sided as you can't take away a man's right to resign possibly leaving a club high and dry. Perhaps we'd then need to stop a manager simply taking up a new appointment at another club, which was the purpose of his resigning, as they do in Spain. The trouble is can we really stop someone taking another job, or do we ban a guy walking out of Tesco to join Sainsburys too. 

58 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Perhaps we'd then need to stop a manager simply taking up a new appointment at another club, which was the purpose of his resigning, as they do in Spain. The trouble is can we really stop someone taking another job, or do we ban a guy walking out of Tesco to join Sainsburys too. 

But don't managers tend to have fixed-term contracts the same as players? 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Good thought - a managers window isn’t something I’d never considered.

Obviously if a manager is unemployed then that’s not an issue but having a time restriction on a club sacking their manager after a run of poor results would be interesting to say the least! 

I guess it works both ways - a manager would know he’s safe until the window which could be helpful to stop the rot but a disadvantage to his employer who see getting rid of him is the only option. 

So you have considered it then!  :)

I think it's a nice idea, can bring a bit more stability- though how you go about enforcing it if a manager resigns or similar...that manager is then without work for months in theory, at least ifor jobs n the UK? Has to just sit on the sidelines.

Alright if you're Conte eg nice payoff from Chelsea though he's still in dispute with them over this, but though the idea of a manager window is nice in theory and I've sometimes wondered about it myself, I'm not sure how you go about enforcing it in practice and that's before we even consider that players can't just work out of a club but it seems managers can- the registration of players being held by the club means this but it seems nothing similar applies to managers- would you need to introduce this as a starting point?

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

the registration of players being held by the club means this but it seems nothing similar applies to managers- would you need to introduce this as a starting point?

Theoretically yes I suppose - not a bad starting point as you say. I guess it would actually end up protecting managers in the long term? 

8 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

They already have their gardening leave

10 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Don’t you Everest ? 

Archived