IGNORED

The returning player to get most stick on their return to AG?

cityexile

With our gas head friends worried that thousands of City fans will be in the Oxford end cheering on Matty Taylor on his return to the cabbage patch and blaming the league for even allowing it because they ‘know what it going to happen’...it got me thinking...

Over the years who are our returners we have given most stick too? Or I suppose any player.

To start the ball rolling, I can remember some real noise for Maynard when he returned with West Ham I think it was. Enjoyed it myself in a Pantomine kind of way.

Any that stick in your mind, where even walking to the ground you were thinking ‘blimey, I bet (insert name here) gets some stick, and you were not disappointed?

2 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Not a player but Tony Penis when he came back with Stoke and we beat them in the season they got promoted and we lost to Hull in the pray offs. He got absolute vitriolic pelters all afternoon and it was fabulous ?

O yes, I think managers must be allowed, remember that one, and Warnock is always good for a bit of exercise on the old lungs

16 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Not a player but Tony Penis when he came back with Stoke and we beat them in the season they got promoted and we lost to Hull in the pray offs. He got absolute vitriolic pelters all afternoon and it was fabulous ?

I remember that game sat in the Dolman,Marv scored a screamer and we passed them off the park.Unfortunately a poor guy died of heart attack that day too.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Did Lita get any in 2009 returning with Middlesbrough?

Someone got some angry stiff that day I'm sure, when Middlesbrough either won or scored a penalty and celebrated in front of Atyeo- thinking Lita...

Lita got pelters after he celebrated, although he did run in front of the east end celebrating in front of the City fans. To this day I never understand why he done that, there was no bad blood before hand, he was a bit of a City 'legend'.

1 minute ago, Unan said:

Lita got pelters after he celebrated, although he did run in front of the east end celebrating in front of the City fans. To this day I never understand why he done that, there was no bad blood before hand, he was a bit of a City 'legend'.

Yeah that's the one though I'm convinced he celebrated in front of Atyeo or someone did- remember after said penalty chants of the 'w' word but think it was at whoever was celebrating in the vicinity.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah that's the one though I'm convinced he celebrated in front of Atyeo or someone did- remember after said penalty chants of the 'w' word but think it was at whoever was celebrating in the vicinity.

Downing wasn't it?

Can't remember ex players or managers getting more than the usual although Maynard got a lot on his return.

Since late 90's i would say Jamie Cureton with the paedo chants ringing around AG was an eye opener for me at a young age. 

Worst for a Manager was definitely Warnock at the semi final against palace.

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Did Lita get any in 2009 returning with Middlesbrough?

Someone got some angry stuff that day I'm sure, when Middlesbrough either won or scored a penalty and celebrated in front of Atyeo- thinking Lita...

And if I'm not mistaken he also asked for an interview with the Bristol City media team and made an apology video?

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Maynard got a lot of stick when warming up as an MK Don's player.

When he came on he had an absolute mare.

I remember him warming up in front of the signing section when it was in the Atyeo end and him playing along with the chants pretending to be injured and laughing, he also clapped the end after he finished warming up. I changed my mind him on that day think most of things he said was tongue in cheek 

26 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

Brian Parkin for Wycombe around 96. Can’t remember If he got sent off or subbed on but seem to remember he didn’t have a great game 

He had so much "poor little gashead" abuse that he didn't know where he was and caught the ball outside the box and was sent off. The guy who went in goal (no sub keeper then) turned out to be better, cue a chorus of "Bring back the Parkin."

Not a visiting player but Phil Purnell used to get dogs abuse whenever taking a corner in front of the city fans when the gas were at Twerton. He was covered in spit every time he had to come over to take a corner. Actually had a bit of respect for him after that as it must've been an awful situation to be put in. 

Just now, BristolCity1992 said:

Literally beat me to it by seconds. 

I was in the front row of the Atyeo for the 1st leg of the FRT southern final and can remember he got a bit of applause before and after the game but abuse all the way through it. He then got some polite applause at the end IIRC. 

Archived