IGNORED

The returning player to get most stick on their return to AG?

cityexile

Tomlin got a lot of abuse when he came on as sub for Cardiff when we beat them 2-1  two seasons ago.  IIRC correctly they had a free kick which he took right near then end, and we were all dreading it was going to be like his Fulham away winner for us, but it turned out more like the penalty against Burton!

1 hour ago, harvey54 said:

Not a player but Tony Penis when he came back with Stoke and we beat them in the season they got promoted and we lost to Hull in the pray offs. He got absolute vitriolic pelters all afternoon and it was fabulous ?

If we were to confine this to just our ex employees this has to be right up there.  The only problem was that he enjoyed every second of it!!

15 minutes ago, cityexile said:

I miss more games than I see, half a memory we played against Zach Clough after his dad laughed at us and talked him out of coming here. Might be making that up equally! Shame, seeing all the top sides he has gone on to play for.

6-0 win that game.

Not sure if he came off the bench or not.

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

With our gas head friends worried that thousands of City fans will be in the Oxford end cheering on Matty Taylor on his return to the cabbage patch and blaming the league for even allowing it because they ‘know what it going to happen’...it got me thinking...

Over the years who are our returners we have given most stick too? Or I suppose any player.

To start the ball rolling, I can remember some real noise for Maynard when he returned with West Ham I think it was. Enjoyed it myself in a Pantomine kind of way.

Any that stick in your mind, where even walking to the ground you were thinking ‘blimey, I bet (insert name here) gets some stick, and you were not disappointed?

Maynard was brilliant . ? your sons bristolian belting out . He hardly had a kick that night . It definitely got to him 

10 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Greg Cunningham has had a few pelters with his antics for PNE at AG since he left.

That's an unusual one as I was never aware of any bad feeling (at least not with the fans) when he left, but he certainly held a grudge about something.  I also remember Sam Baldock behaving like a bit of a dick when he scored for Brighton at AG, yet always thought he was popular with the fans (apart from the odd moan and groan, but they all get that!).

11 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

That's an unusual one as I was never aware of any bad feeling (at least not with the fans) when he left, but he certainly held a grudge about something.  I also remember Sam Baldock behaving like a bit of a dick when he scored for Brighton at AG, yet always thought he was popular with the fans (apart from the odd moan and groan, but they all get that!).

He didn't, the Atyeo just had a go for some reason that night (15-16 season, we lost 4-0)

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Did Lita get any in 2009 returning with Middlesbrough?

Someone got some angry stuff that day I'm sure, when Middlesbrough either won or scored a penalty and celebrated in front of Atyeo- thinking Lita...

You’re referring to Adam Johnson. Was supposed to be the real deal at the time and got a lot from the home fans, especially after he gestured the Dolman and  Atyeo after scoring a penalty.

Remember this well as I was in Dolman lower.

After gloating, he went to take a throwing and backed out after a load of City fans ran down the front almost begging him to ‘come join us’. He went really quiet after that and ran straight down the tunnel at full time. Also remember someone shouting “I’m going to **** your mum” ? and “I’m going to follow you home and **** your wife”

Must say I remember the crowds being proper G’d up all season, more so than any season since. Was great to feel the stands shake when we scored and the noise we made really created a fortress feel during home games.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was that a night game?  Did Bell score from a free-kick?

We were 4-0 up inside about half an hour and Parkin was atrocious. As others have recalled, he then got sent off for handball and the new bloke was a huge improvement. We were all singing `We want Parkin back, say we want Parkin back`. We didn`t score again and 4-0`s how it finished.

A night game in the rain IIRC.

31 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

I don't think Cunningham held bad blood with 'the club' rather than it being reserved for a couple of individuals 

Tiny Penis always had a special welcome from me for his lovely brand of total football.

I remember Micky Naynard's hammers return, he was so wound up that night & desperate to score for all of the dogs abuse he got.

That little b--tard Leon Knight, always hated him since the playoff final defeat to Brighton.

On the whole it's rare to see that kind of banter. Even with Kodjia those idiots at vile paid so much money for him you really couldn't give him any dogs.

I suppose fatso from the headtappers will get it as he's shown a lack of respect.

Not a player or a manager but a chairman - that obnoxious ***t from Crystal Palace "Tango Man" after the play-offs and the "phantom stanchion" business with Colin. Got a right going over in the car park as he tried to sneak away in his .................?

Brilliant

sorry Swede, just saw your post

4 hours ago, Unan said:

Lita got pelters after he celebrated, although he did run in front of the east end celebrating in front of the City fans. To this day I never understand why he done that, there was no bad blood before hand, he was a bit of a City 'legend'.

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Downing wasn't it?

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

You’re referring to Adam Johnson. Was supposed to be the real deal at the time and got a lot from the home fans, especially after he gestured the Dolman and  Atyeo after scoring a penalty.

Remember this well as I was in Dolman lower.

After gloating, he went to take a throwing and backed out after a load of City fans ran down the front almost begging him to ‘come join us’. He went really quiet after that and ran straight down the tunnel at full time. Also remember someone shouting “I’m going to **** your mum” ? and “I’m going to follow you home and **** your wife”

Must say I remember the crowds being proper G’d up all season, more so than any season since. Was great to feel the stands shake when we scored and the noise we made really created a fortress feel during home games.

Yeah, was getting Adam Johnson and Lita mixed up.

Now you mention it, it comes back- penalty, celebrated and he gestured- I was in the Atyeo that day, but was a good lively atmosphere all round IMO. Fortress for sure, certainly first half of the season- are we talking same season? 2009-10, eventually Johnson went. Bit of liveliness like that day added to the atmosphere 10 years on wouldn't go amiss!

We got a newish side...talernted but newish. As it gels it will need those marginal gains and those advantages- a bit of 'edge' would help!

4 hours ago, Edge1981 said:

Brian Parkin for Wycombe around 96. Can’t remember If he got sent off or subbed on but seem to remember he didn’t have a great game 

Didnt he get sent off for handling ball outside the box and then the outfield player who went in goal stopped a few shots and the whole ground started singing " we want Parkin back " 

Sorry missed the posts about it before mine ,was bloody funny though

Archived