IGNORED

The returning player to get most stick on their return to AG?

cityexile

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

To turn this on it`s head who got the best reception on their return?

For me it used to be Glyn Riley when he came back with Aldershot but that was eclipsed by Wilbs`s return with Bolton when he came on as sub. I really have never seen anything like that before and doubt I will again.

Cotts, when he was working with Redknapp at Brum, last game of the season and they needed a win to stay up. Poor game, we lost, but what a post match ovation for Cotts.

I enjoyed that a lot more than the game.

It felt very right that the fans had a chance to applaud him for his double success the previous season.

28 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Cotts, when he was working with Redknapp at Brum, last game of the season and they needed a win to stay up. Poor game, we lost, but what a post match ovation for Cotts.

I enjoyed that a lot more than the game.

It felt very right that the fans had a chance to applaud him for his double success the previous season.T

The way half the team played that day was in a manner that welcomed SC back and saved him the embarrassment of being associated with a team being relegated. Complete disgrace from our lot.

15 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

When jason roberts came back with the gas, and the whole of the grandstand was singing city reject, he looked like he wanted to cry.

I can recall alan crawford scoring for exeter and knocking us out the cup and getting a load of grief.

John shaw was also on parade that day.

Roberts’ face was a ******* picture that day, poor lamb couldn’t quite grasp it ?

I remember Devon White coming on for Shrewsbury in a league cup first leg tie (back when the first few rounds were two-legged) and rousing the 6k crowd into dishing out some quality abuse ?

And although not a former Gas or City player special mention to the chant of ‘Iain Dowie’s f**ckin ugly’ sung on repeat when QPR came down in Feb 99. The Atyeo H block was in fine voice that night. 

18 hours ago, 97Red said:

Again, not a returning player. But didn't Kasey Palmer get booed last season before we signed him? ??

He got booed, but only for coming into the south stand/dolman corner. Every left winger gets it & whoever is on corners. One game last season even the opposition Physio got pelters on his walk back round. Amazing!

Leroy Sane got some & then made sure he came over to us when he scored ?

quite like that tbh, id do exactly the same in his shoes!

19 hours ago, Masala said:

I remember when he scored the penalty and pointed to his name on his shirt - all of AG shouting "w4nker", my boy, 5years old at the time, stood up shouting wyker, wyker and then asked me what a wyker was. Oh, I dunno mate I said!

Was a weird one, he’d not got any real stick and after he scored the pen he went mental in the atyeo/dolman corner.  Maynard then banged in a 90th min winner and then he looked a right twat - got absolute pelters walking off.

24 minutes ago, Masala said:

Forearm smash as Junior ran past him I remember?

Yes in any other walk of life it’d probably been GBH, with intent.  I think one of the first times the FA reviewed it post match 

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Did Dave Penny ever play at AG after smashing Juniors jaw to bits??

Not sure if ever, but I do remember that for the next City/oxford game after the Junior incident he was conveniently injured and then available the next game.  Shameful what he did to Junior; outright thuggery.  If anyone on here did that in the normal walk of life we'd be off for a spell at HM's pleasure. 

7 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Not sure if ever, but I do remember that for the next City/oxford game after the Junior incident he was conveniently injured and then available the next game.  Shameful what he did to Junior; outright thuggery.  If anyone on here did that in the normal walk of life we'd be off for a spell at HM's pleasure. 

I remember the incident being shown on the HTV news, absolutely disgusting. I’m sure I remember a player (possibly a Brentford player? I’m not certain) who did find himself on the end of criminal charges for something that happened during a game? It would’ve been around the same time...I don’t think I dreamt it.

38 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

I remember the ‘Show Penney the red card’  on back of an early edition of OTIB.

Also forget the clown went and managed at the cabbage patch for all of 13 games - one of the real comedy appointments by them 

44 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Always played with a smile on his face did junior.

Pretty sure he scored or came on and made one for blackpool in one of the last games of the season under ward.

Mickey bell scoring a cracker for port vale at ashton gate after he left us, was widely clapped, rightly so.

Junior signed off scoring the winner for us against the gas and signed for Blackpool next day.  Don’t think seen him back on pitch at HT etc since he retired. Anyone know what he’s doing these days? 

6 minutes ago, Offside said:

The abuse Cureton got stands out in my mind. It always seemed to affect him and I’m sure I remember the Evening Post reported that his family watched one game when he played us at AG and were offended by the chants. What did he expect?

Packet of sweet and a cheeky smile?

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Junior signed off scoring the winner for us against the gas and signed for Blackpool next day.  Don’t think seen him back on pitch at HT etc since he retired. Anyone know what he’s doing these days? 

He was coaching at PNEs academy - wonderful lad

My guilty secret is playing a part in his move to Blackpool

Archived