IGNORED

Holden's Interview - Great reading

boadle

Love reading insights from Dean Holden, and the pre-Hull presser is no exception. He goes into a level of detail that few managers or coaches do. Here's a few of the best bits that I thought we really interesting...

On language

For part of my Pro-license you had to do a language so I picked up Spanish.

Taylor Moore speaks fluent French as well so we try to encourage speaking English because it's the best way for the lads to learn, and Han-Noah speaks good English as well.

The club are great with that off the pitch, language lessons and making sure the lads are settled in off the pitch is a major thing as well.

On Massengo

Within five minutes of that first training session me, Macca (Jamie McAllister) and the gaffer said, 'this boy's got some real talent'.

My lad was at the academy last week, he won a tournament inside the cages, like the Goals centres. Talking to Han, he grew up in them in Paris.

And you can see the way he uses his body, he's not the most physical, certainly not in terms of the Championship, you look at him and he's very immature physically.

But the way he uses his body, the way he opens it - he's almost Spanish like (Andres) Iniesta. Not comparing him to him but how he scans and his awareness of where he is on the pitch is very high. So we're trying to improve him even further.

On the squad

We've got a real good group that actually come and ask questions, they want to come and talk about a game that was on last night or they want to watch some clips.

That's the way to learn and that stands us in a good stead. We feel we're in a good place at the moment but we have a lot of progression to go with such a new team.

On new signings

You do your research. Every club will do. We research it as far as we can. Behind the scenes there are a lot of things we look at: social media, we talk to people that have worked with them previously.

Youth team coaches and even if you can, sometimes it's not always possible, but teachers. People who have worked with them in the past. And, of course, the more questions that you ask, the more answers that you're going to get.

It's important to look someone in the eye and we'll never sign a player without meeting them first. The gaffer is big on that.

On preparation

So many things go into a performance, even off the pitch the logistics of everything in an away game.

The travelling, the professionalism, the recovery off the pitch, I have to say I think we're as professional as anybody.

I think the recovery tactics are good. You've all seen, even this early in the season the amount of games in the Championship. So you've got to get your recovery right but at the same time you've got to get your training in.

Nutrition is another thing we're looking at strongly this season so there's all sorts of things that need to go into it.

On training

In training we do a lot of problem solving. A huge percentage of our training is psychological problem solving because we feel it's the best way to learn.

You shouldn't really ever be going through something in a game that you haven't been through before, even going down to 10 or 9 men, conceding a goal early or conceding a goal late.

We try and do it without boring the players because players just want to play.

Sometimes we do it subconsciously and tell one or two players, "here are your rules, you go sort it out yourself".

We might say there's five minutes to go and you're a goal down. The other team don't know that because we've only told one or two players, and we're not trying to be the oracle or anything but we're hoping it creates leadership.

On partnerships

Some of the scenario-based training that we do; myself, Macca and the gaffer and Cisse we do a lot of unit stuff, so we get the strikers away from the rest of the group and we work on patterns.

If you know what your mate is going to do when he gets the ball, it gives you a real advantage.

So we look at opposition defenders and what they don't like, we speak to our defenders about what they don't like and try and improve on some of the patterns.

I think the cage refence is to panna or cruyff courts. Dutch,  French and Spanish kids grow up playing in them as they are common place, along with futsal they assist to create more skilled players at early ages. 

Unfortunately these cages barely exist in the UK in comparison.

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I think the cage refence is to panna or cruyff courts. Dutch,  French and Spanish kids grow up playing in them as they are common place, along with futsal they assist to create more skilled players at early ages. 

Marlon Pack had his own! ?

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Pleased to confirm that Nic’s mum is indeed Brazilian. Finding out proved a close shave though.

She'd tear you off a strip if she knew what you were saying about her!

3 hours ago, Cowshed said:

In the poorer areas of London, particularly South London, there are quite a few cages around.

I don't think it's any coincidence that the bulk of top quality young English players (Sterling, Sancho, etc) have grown up playing in the cages. 

Certainly seems a case of get good or get hurt. 

Edit: just listened to the full interview and the one thing I found interesting was about Kasey Palmer wuickly becoming good mates with Afobe, and that Afobe seems to be really enjoying himself. The reason I found this interesting is after last season when we had KP on loan and he didnt really play as much as he would've liked, is that he would come back and knuckle down and really try and make his mark whilst at the same time still be a good pro and make time for the new guys. 

Maybe all this talk about signing players with the right DNA really does make a difference to the team.

Also, I couldnt help but think that the fans that were hammering the club when we got rid of Pemberton and got Holden as he was just a mate of LJ's maybe are thinking a little differently now. Here's hoping anyway.

19 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

In the poorer areas of London, particularly South London, there are quite a few cages around.

I don't think it's any coincidence that the bulk of top quality young English players (Sterling, Sancho, etc) have grown up playing in the cages. 

Certainly seems a case of get good or get hurt. 

I was going to post outside of London. It isn't a coincidence that South London is producing so much talent. It has it's own football culture and skilled identity. This urban tough football produces skills -that get good  or get hurt. 

19 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Surprising the things you pick up in these interviews.

Such as Bakinson speaks Portuguese as does Eliasson, which helps with Pereira.

Pereira's English is good anyway.

I found when living in Portugal that the one thing about speaking an alternative language for long periods, is it made me tire more easily. 

Archived