IGNORED

Summer Business

Dolman_Stand

Best Summer Signing  

334 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I went with Nagy but coupled with the decision to offload Pack (for more money than Nagy cost) as it has given our midfield a whole different dynamic.

Sure we lose a bit of physical presence and strength in the air but Pack slowed things down. Now we are very dynamic in the middle and think we will break up play and attack with speed. Just what we've needed for a long while.

All the new signings are an improvement to the squad. City are now far stronger across the board but if I had to choose one  best signing it would have to be Han Noah Messengo. 

The lad seems to have everything. Youth, great skills, vision. pace, stamina and energy. He’ll impress everyone over this coming season and I’m sure bigger clubs will be after him - and I mean big PL clubs.

He’ll end up earning City mega bucks.

Great signing by LJ and MA.

1 hour ago, citywest30 said:

I went with Nagy but coupled with the decision to offload Pack (for more money than Nagy cost) as it has given our midfield a whole different dynamic.

Sure we lose a bit of physical presence and strength in the air but Pack slowed things down. Now we are very dynamic in the middle and think we will break up play and attack with speed. Just what we've needed for a long while.

Easy to dismiss what Pack gave us (not saying you are), but I think a combination of his progress / development levelling out (up to last season he’d improved every season) and teams knowing that everything started with him, meant he became less effective on the ball.  He still provided excellent cover in front of a CB pairing.

But...

....I did think that he might be the player we needed to improve upon to take us to the next level...the play-offs.  We have added Nagy and Massengo for a little over the amount we got for Pack, but also added years of potential too.  If ever there was an example of “rinse and repeat” it’s this, but the important bit is buying more than one player with the proceeds, which is what we’ve done.

Tactically, the DM in front of the 2xCBs has been replaced by 2xCMs in front of 3xCBs, making us very compact centrally.  The difference I saw from QPR to Derby in the way the whole team shifted sideways was evident of identification of a problem and training to get it right.  Rowe wasn’t any where near as exposed v Derby.

This gives us the solid base to play Palmer in between and importantly 2 strikers too.

We will need to accept periods of games (QPR 0-30 and Derby 60-90) where we don’t have much possession, but I think these will be less obvious as we learn the new system, and in what positions we can trust our players to take the ball...and keep it.  Nagy and Massengo obvious upgrades here.

We were wasteful on transition too on Tuesday.  I think we have players like O’Dowda (if he ever signs a contract) who can be used away from home especially to break quickly and get us up the pitch.

Today’s game will be a good watch in terms of whether we’ve tweaked a few things from Derby.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Easy to dismiss what Pack gave us (not saying you are), but I think a combination of his progress / development levelling out (up to last season he’d improved every season) and teams knowing that everything started with him, meant he became less effective on the ball.  He still provided excellent cover in front of a CB pairing.

But...

....I did think that he might be the player we needed to improve upon to take us to the next level...the play-offs.  We have added Nagy and Massengo for a little over the amount we got for Pack, but also added years of potential too.  If ever there was an example of “rinse and repeat” it’s this, but the important bit is buying more than one player with the proceeds, which is what we’ve done.

Tactically, the DM in front of the 2xCBs has been replaced by 2xCMs in front of 3xCBs, making us very compact centrally.  The difference I saw from QPR to Derby in the way the whole team shifted sideways was evident of identification of a problem and training to get it right.  Rowe wasn’t any where near as exposed v Derby.

This gives us the solid base to play Palmer in between and importantly 2 strikers too.

We will need to accept periods of games (QPR 0-30 and Derby 60-90) where we don’t have much possession, but I think these will be less obvious as we learn the new system, and in what positions we can trust our players to take the ball...and keep it.  Nagy and Massengo obvious upgrades here.

We were wasteful on transition too on Tuesday.  I think we have players like O’Dowda (if he ever signs a contract) who can be used away from home especially to break quickly and get us up the pitch.

Today’s game will be a good watch in terms of whether we’ve tweaked a few things from Derby.

LJ seems to agree with you on not making the most of transitions and recycling possession. He said a lot more work needed to be done but the emphasis had been on defensive work. Though they had only had time for 6 sessions on that.

If we can keep picking up points while still improving key areas so much the better.

Difficult to choose just one. The exciting thing about this summer is that we have signed real quality. We already know what Kalas, Dasilva and Palmer are capable of, and Nagy and Massengo seem like exciting talents. I’m optimistic we’re going to have a good season. 

I almost disregard the purchased loans as feels like a continuation. It’s got to be a triple threat award for Nagy, massengo and afobe. 

Quality reinforcement is midfield was an absolute requirement and the quality we seem to have obtained is far beyond what I thought possible.

Afobe on a Bristol city team sheet is something I never thought I’d see and he’s had a weird year but is no doubt absolutely top drawer championship forward that is a scary name for other teams to see on a team sheet

COYR

3 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

never in a million years of watching city would I have dreamed of signing so many quilting players in one window 

Here's 4 that didn't have the right DNA

quilting.thumb.jpg.09ce75dc78e14237e13903aa8008d66d.jpg

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

But...

Completely agree. Whilst I haven't seen City live this season, I can see what you're saying. 

Definitely wasn't being dismissive of Pack and initially I was disappointed to see him go but what a transformation our midfield has been since.

I suspect we became a little over reliant on our play going through him in the same way we were in the days of Adomah and actually their departures led us to being a better team after.

Archived