Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Dolman_Stand

Summer Business

Best Summer Signing  

334 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In terms of actual business it'll turn out to be Massengo I imagine, but Nagy is the most exciting in my opinion.

• Like 2

Im going to base it on sales next summer and collecting probably £40m+ for Dasilva and Massengo means these two are the best business!

and yes we will sell them if the price is right!

• Like 1

It doesn’t answer the original option for one player but I like the fact we have recruited ‘down the spine’ with apparent better quality in those recruited in those positions ( plus getting rock Kalas on a permanent)

Bentley > (Kalas) > Nagy> Afobe

Get the spine right and you’re into a good thing

• Like 7

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It doesn’t answer the original option for one player but I like the fact we have recruited ‘down the spine’ with apparent better quality in those recruited in those positions ( plus getting rock Kalas on a permanent)

Nor do we have to rely on flogging our 2 CMs to death.  We have some options.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Nor do we have to rely on flogging our 2 CMs to death.  We have some options.

I do hope when injured players return though Dave , that we don’t tinker too much 

• Like 1

I'd say Nagy, so much of our game is dependant on that role and someone of quality in it can make a huge difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I do hope when injured players return though Dave , that we don’t tinker too much 

I think the likes of Smith can come in, if needed without changing the way we play.  What we didn’t have last year was a Pack-clone.  We don’t need one.

Dasilva for Rowe.

Semenyo and Diedhiou for our front two.

We look ok 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree with your point but would suggest Brownhill is part of the "spine" more so than Nagy at the moment.

It's also amazingly positive that our £8m centre back hasn't been mentioned in this thread as yet...

Edited by Dolman_Stand

6 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Don't know how you can say Nagy or HNM after a couple of games. Kalas proved his worth last season. JD's long term injury has to count against him at this stage.

He certainly did , and did so in last two games and a great rock to build on and was my No 1 priority in summer

But then... you see the quality of Nagy and the effect already he has had on us , in a crucial position in Championship football.....

Yet....I’d almost punt on Afobe as I think a decent all round front man can be the vital focal point 

All three crucial , plus, what  I think what we have,  in a potentially top keeper

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 1

The best business was the £35m we collected for Kelly and Webster, without which we wouldn't have been able to sign  Kalas, Dasilva, Palmer, Massengo, Nagy, Rowe, Bentley  and Szmodics and loan Afobe and Perriera

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kasey Palmer not getting much love here so let me give him a shout. The creativity last year was arguably dreadful at times. Think he is making a massive difference to the attack. Giving players like Afobe and Weimann quality service but more importantly they know he can and will find them. I imagine Weimann is particularly happy with him as Palmer spots his clever runs often. 

It isn’t to say Massengo, Nagy, Kalas and Dasilva aren’t great because they are but two were here all last season and the other two look great in games 1-2-3. Need to see them on their 7th game in 20 days and how they cope with that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I voted Afobe. Has given our attack a lot more threat and gives us different opinions. Balls down the channels, behind the defence, he can hold up the ball, good touch and decent in air. Plus will press. 

• Like 1

Went with LJ’s new contract. As I believe ( have done for a few years now), that stability is what we can build on. It’s what I also think new potential signings will like the look of & will sign for potentially. I Also think we will do well to keep hold of him, if we keep improving as we have.  Player wise it’s a complete toss up at this stage, as the potential is frightening I believe if it all clicks. COYR 

• Like 1

The biggest change for me is that we have made a significant change to our formation/line-up. We've brought in some cracking players but actually moving on some others who have been our bedrock seems to be the biggest thing for me. 

2 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Went with LJ’s new contract. As I believe ( have done for a few years now), that stability is what we can build on. It’s what I also think new potential signings will like the look of & will sign for potentially. I Also think we will do well to keep hold of him, if we keep improving as we have.  Player wise it’s a complete toss up at this stage, as the potential is frightening I believe if it all clicks. COYR 

I went the same, without him I think the whole business model of improving players significantly with a view to achieving promotion and / or selling them for huge profits falls down. So glad SL stuck with him when the pressure was near insurmountable as it is paying dividends now.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Agree with your point but would suggest Brownhill is part of the "spine" more so than Nagy at the moment.

It's also amazingly positive that our £8m centre back hasn't been mentioned in this thread as yet...

He was mentioned twice in the post to which you replied ....

The positive for me is the early signs suggest continued improvement in quality. Each season we sell players for good money and reinvest, improving quality or potential quality. Overall signs are that we are continuing to be able to to that. 

Would say Nagy. We havent had a really good defensive mf since Cisse. The season Cisse left we were relegated. This summer had been really good in transfers, lots of money in and good players in as well.

If I could I’d vote for the whole lot..

never in a million years of watching city would I have dreamed of signing so many quilting players in one window 

looking at other teams in the league surely we have to be in with a shout this year ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

If I could I’d vote for the whole lot..

never in a million years of watching city would I have dreamed of signing so many quilting players in one window 

Might say the previous players weren't a patch on them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Tom Fleuriot said:

Might say the previous players weren't a patch on them. 

Except for Famara Duvetdhiou.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I went with Nagy but coupled with the decision to offload Pack (for more money than Nagy cost) as it has given our midfield a whole different dynamic.

Sure we lose a bit of physical presence and strength in the air but Pack slowed things down. Now we are very dynamic in the middle and think we will break up play and attack with speed. Just what we've needed for a long while.

• Like 1

All the new signings are an improvement to the squad. City are now far stronger across the board but if I had to choose one  best signing it would have to be Han Noah Messengo. 

The lad seems to have everything. Youth, great skills, vision. pace, stamina and energy. He’ll impress everyone over this coming season and I’m sure bigger clubs will be after him - and I mean big PL clubs.

He’ll end up earning City mega bucks.

Great signing by LJ and MA.

• Like 2

It's Jay Dasilva no question. Swapping the England u21 second choice LB for the first choice LB + £15m or so was an absolute heist by Mark Ashton and team.

Edited by cityboy
Autocorrect
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, citywest30 said:

I went with Nagy but coupled with the decision to offload Pack (for more money than Nagy cost) as it has given our midfield a whole different dynamic.

Sure we lose a bit of physical presence and strength in the air but Pack slowed things down. Now we are very dynamic in the middle and think we will break up play and attack with speed. Just what we've needed for a long while.

Easy to dismiss what Pack gave us (not saying you are), but I think a combination of his progress / development levelling out (up to last season he’d improved every season) and teams knowing that everything started with him, meant he became less effective on the ball.  He still provided excellent cover in front of a CB pairing.

But...

....I did think that he might be the player we needed to improve upon to take us to the next level...the play-offs.  We have added Nagy and Massengo for a little over the amount we got for Pack, but also added years of potential too.  If ever there was an example of “rinse and repeat” it’s this, but the important bit is buying more than one player with the proceeds, which is what we’ve done.

Tactically, the DM in front of the 2xCBs has been replaced by 2xCMs in front of 3xCBs, making us very compact centrally.  The difference I saw from QPR to Derby in the way the whole team shifted sideways was evident of identification of a problem and training to get it right.  Rowe wasn’t any where near as exposed v Derby.

This gives us the solid base to play Palmer in between and importantly 2 strikers too.

We will need to accept periods of games (QPR 0-30 and Derby 60-90) where we don’t have much possession, but I think these will be less obvious as we learn the new system, and in what positions we can trust our players to take the ball...and keep it.  Nagy and Massengo obvious upgrades here.

We were wasteful on transition too on Tuesday.  I think we have players like O’Dowda (if he ever signs a contract) who can be used away from home especially to break quickly and get us up the pitch.

Today’s game will be a good watch in terms of whether we’ve tweaked a few things from Derby.

• Like 3

Whilst Nagy is my favourite signing, I chose Massengo because I can foresee him being our club's first ever £30m plus sale. He might go off the rails of course, but I expect he'll progress quicker than the club do.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Easy to dismiss what Pack gave us (not saying you are), but I think a combination of his progress / development levelling out (up to last season he’d improved every season) and teams knowing that everything started with him, meant he became less effective on the ball.  He still provided excellent cover in front of a CB pairing.

But...

....I did think that he might be the player we needed to improve upon to take us to the next level...the play-offs.  We have added Nagy and Massengo for a little over the amount we got for Pack, but also added years of potential too.  If ever there was an example of “rinse and repeat” it’s this, but the important bit is buying more than one player with the proceeds, which is what we’ve done.

Tactically, the DM in front of the 2xCBs has been replaced by 2xCMs in front of 3xCBs, making us very compact centrally.  The difference I saw from QPR to Derby in the way the whole team shifted sideways was evident of identification of a problem and training to get it right.  Rowe wasn’t any where near as exposed v Derby.

This gives us the solid base to play Palmer in between and importantly 2 strikers too.

We will need to accept periods of games (QPR 0-30 and Derby 60-90) where we don’t have much possession, but I think these will be less obvious as we learn the new system, and in what positions we can trust our players to take the ball...and keep it.  Nagy and Massengo obvious upgrades here.

We were wasteful on transition too on Tuesday.  I think we have players like O’Dowda (if he ever signs a contract) who can be used away from home especially to break quickly and get us up the pitch.

Today’s game will be a good watch in terms of whether we’ve tweaked a few things from Derby.

LJ seems to agree with you on not making the most of transitions and recycling possession. He said a lot more work needed to be done but the emphasis had been on defensive work. Though they had only had time for 6 sessions on that.

If we can keep picking up points while still improving key areas so much the better.

• Like 2

Difficult to choose just one. The exciting thing about this summer is that we have signed real quality. We already know what Kalas, Dasilva and Palmer are capable of, and Nagy and Massengo seem like exciting talents. I’m optimistic we’re going to have a good season. 

• Like 3

This poll shows how good a summer we had. KP has been excellent and still has less than 2% of the vote, so many great players in. 

• Like 1

I almost disregard the purchased loans as feels like a continuation. It’s got to be a triple threat award for Nagy, massengo and afobe. 

Quality reinforcement is midfield was an absolute requirement and the quality we seem to have obtained is far beyond what I thought possible.

Afobe on a Bristol city team sheet is something I never thought I’d see and he’s had a weird year but is no doubt absolutely top drawer championship forward that is a scary name for other teams to see on a team sheet

COYR

3 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Here's 4 that didn't have the right DNA

quilting.thumb.jpg.09ce75dc78e14237e13903aa8008d66d.jpg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

But...

Completely agree. Whilst I haven't seen City live this season, I can see what you're saying. 

Definitely wasn't being dismissive of Pack and initially I was disappointed to see him go but what a transformation our midfield has been since.

I suspect we became a little over reliant on our play going through him in the same way we were in the days of Adomah and actually their departures led us to being a better team after.

• Like 1