IGNORED

Stadium tours

Desso

50 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Doesn’t have to be trophies or what you’ve won (That’s called a TROPHY ROOM)

‘museum’  - all sorts of memorabilia and items from years gone by, of interest  to others,  

Such as what?

Old shirts, Fatty Wedlock’s and John Atyeo’s England caps?

There ain’t much else Bob.

44 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

You sound like every premier League fan that I've ever spoke to, by the way very few of them have ever stepped foot in to the stadium of the team they proclaim to support.

We all wish we were a top 4 premier League side, we all wish we had a bigger house or a better car etc but most of us are content with what we do have and the same goes for Bristol City. I celebrated our Mickey mouse cup wins and winning the league as if we had just won the Champions League because to us winning those things were a big deal.

Those promotions and Micky mouse cup wins were very important to me as that was what was on offer to our club. Would you have rather we not of won them? Your attitude is generally pretty baffling. Especially considering your previous role.

Do you have children? I hope to god they are all doctors or barristers etc? Or otherwise you'd not be proud of them and their achievements in life.

You’re missing my point entirely.

In other clubs museums they have memorabilia including any significant trophy’s they’ve won - City don’t have anything significant to put on display. The Micky Mouse Cups are exactly that - Mickey Mouse cups 

Even tho I was at Wembley for most of them, these days they have no meaning any more 

10 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I would probably start at the beginning with memorabilia from the 1890's.

Possibily include Wedlocks caps and match details from his England games.

Significant events and the like, artifacts - like you would get in a museum.

etc etc etc

Trophies go in a trophy room not a museum.  

Wedlock's caps? 

Hmm, bit old hat doncha fink?   (only joking)

I reckon replicas of Harry Dolmans patented (brecknell, dolman, rogers.) East End turnstiles (do any originals survive anywhere I wonder?)  could feature.

Also a fullsize 'working replica' of the East End open air urinals would be fun (for old times sake ?)

The old 'half time' score boards complete with wheelbarrow, numbers and White coated man.

Some flying big rolls..

Rosettes, wooden rattles, bobble hats 'n scarves, pipes and woodbines..

Representations of typical 'supporters though the ages' from the 50s/60's cloth caps, through (controversially) the 60s/70s/80s skinheads, bootboys, casuals etc (interesting fashions and era's) through to the present day .  

Kits through the ages, managers, team captains, top scorers, types of boot and ball technology and evolution.

Theres loads of 'not so obvious' possible exhibits that could be included which, with a bit of imagination, might be of interest.

Tickets, Programmes through the years etc..  Quotes and anecdotes from well known iconic City related people inc much loved and missed people like Beryl … Big Awaydays through the years, and stories surrounding them.

Nothing to exhibit ? ….. Huh, think we're gonna need a bigger venue !  ?  

13 minutes ago, Dave L said:

I used to enjoy doing the tours. There was some discussion over the summer about me running them again, but not sure where they are up to with that at the moment. 

I remember going on a stadium tour sometime in the 90s.  I think Deryn Coller might have hosted it, but it's so long ago and all I really remember is seeing the boardroom table and the replica world cup! The training ground might be more of an interesting destination for youngsters nowadays. Anyway, good luck with this Dave.

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

In other clubs museums they have memorabilia including any significant trophy’s they’ve won - City don’t have anything significant to put on display. The Micky Mouse Cups are exactly that - Mickey Mouse cups 

Even tho I was at Wembley for most of them, these days they have no meaning any more 

I noticed you sounded like it was news that clubs like Barcelona do tours, so I’m guessing you haven’t been on many Robbo.

To you something from a cult hero or memorable game throughout our history might mean nothing, but there are people out there who like the nostalgia and sentiment of football over the big bits of metal.

My lads have been bugging me all summer about doing a stadium tour at City......I would love them to see the changing rooms and walk down the tunnel....be an amazing experience!  As city don’t offer it they are bugging me to take them on stadium tour of a premier team....they ask if we can go to Bournemouth, Southampton or even Villa....makes my blood boil.  

Given the tourists we have got coming to the region over the summer hols....surely demand could be generated.  

There is a significant difference between a museum and a trophy room. There is plenty to put in a museum, we should have one and it should be included in stadium tours that should be on offer. The importance of City to the Bristol community cannot be overstated and supporters and visitors, both young and old, should be given the opportunity to learn about, and celebrate local history. As for the Mickey Mouse cup jibe I'm sick of it. The trophies may not have the kudos of the FA Cup or League Cup (although many premiership teams interest in these is disgraceful) but they were honestly competed for and won with no little effort from the players and supporters alike. As someone who has been watching City for nearly 60 years I am deeply insulted by sh**s who decry the winning of such trophies and try to undermine the immense pride I felt in seeing City walk out at Wembley in the Freight Rover Trophy final of 1986 and then proceed to demolish Bolton Wanderers. It is still for me the greatest day I ever had in watching the team I passionately love.

1 hour ago, Dave L said:

I used to enjoy doing the tours. There was some discussion over the summer about me running them again, but not sure where they are up to with that at the moment. 

Please do what you can Dave. The hospitality people and corporates probably get a tour, I don't know, but the normal supporters do not get a chance to look behind the scenes of our shiny new stadium. The club should reconsider and not alienate the "proper" fans. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Chelsea's museum is overwhelmingly not about what they have won. Its about how they became, the evolution of the club, its fans, its stadium, its traditions, its culture ..

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

Chelsea's museum is overwhelmingly not about what they have won. Its about how they became, the evolution of the club, its fans, its stadium, its traditions, its culture ..

That’s all well and good Cowshed but City aren’t exactly Chelsea or any other big PL outfit.

I guess showing the evolution of AG is something some might be interested in.

At the Bernabeu and Camp Nue both had old portraits of previous players with explanations of what they achieved/won along with replicas of various trophies - exiting thru the gift shop of course.......

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s all well and good Cowshed but City aren’t exactly Chelsea or any other big PL outfit.

I guess showing the evolution of AG is something some might be interested in.

At the Bernabeu and Camp Nue both had old portraits of previous players with explanations of what they achieved/won along with replicas of various trophies - exiting thru the gift shop of course.......

You posted that City have nothing significant to put in it -  In other clubs museums they have memorabilia including any significant trophy’s they’ve won - City don’t have anything significant to put on display. The Micky Mouse Cups are exactly that - Mickey Mouse cups 

I provided an example of a club who have won things and have a different interpretation of what significant is. Clubs have rich and diverse histories. Those histories and the cultures around the club are significant. Fans Beryl or Divvy are part of the rich tapestries of this club, a first edition of the Bountyhunter is part of the FC .. Chelsea include fans and fanzines in their museum.

I mean this with no disrespect but your view is your view. People find differing things interesting. I find the culture and history of clubs very interesting. You appear not to.

As an aside I thought the Bernabeau's museum was poor because it told me so little about the club beyond what they have won. Dull. 

50 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

There is a significant difference between a museum and a trophy room. There is plenty to put in a museum, we should have one and it should be included in stadium tours that should be on offer. The importance of City to the Bristol community cannot be overstated and supporters and visitors, both young and old, should be given the opportunity to learn about, and celebrate local history. As for the Mickey Mouse cup jibe I'm sick of it. The trophies may not have the kudos of the FA Cup or League Cup (although many premiership teams interest in these is disgraceful) but they were honestly competed for and won with no little effort from the players and supporters alike. As someone who has been watching City for nearly 60 years I am deeply insulted by sh**s who decry the winning of such trophies and try to undermine the immense pride I felt in seeing City walk out at Wembley in the Freight Rover Trophy final of 1986 and then proceed to demolish Bolton Wanderers. It is still for me the greatest day I ever had in watching the team I passionately love.

Completely agree. That day at Wembley in 1986 was absolutely special - I’ve got very fond memories of it and the footage of Terry Cooper in tears still has me in tears as well. 

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I remember going on a stadium tour sometime in the 90s.  I think Deryn Coller might have hosted it, but it's so long ago and all I really remember is seeing the boardroom table and the replica world cup! The training ground might be more of an interesting destination for youngsters nowadays. Anyway, good luck with this Dave.

Same here - think they used to do them as part of the Open Days or whatever they used to be called

10 minutes ago, weepywall said:

I'll see what I can do but as its a plumbing and heating trade evening the stadium tour may only be the showers, toilets and boiler !!

Forget the toilets but the showers and boiler would be good.?Anything's better than nothing.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I think it's you that's missing the point, not me. 

It's a huge shame that on our sold out trips to Wembley(and one for the sags) you took up a seat that could have gone to someone who would have cherished the day and the experience of seeing their local team win at the world famous national stadium. 

9 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

It's a huge shame that on our sold out trips to Wembley(and one for the sags) you took up a seat that could have gone to someone who would have cherished the day and the experience of seeing their local team win at the world famous national stadium. 

Don’t get sucked in UTC

17 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Don’t try to lecture me UTC.

I enjoyed those days out to Wembley but ultimately they mean bugger all. The Mickey Mouse Cup is for lower league clubs and imv a cub like Bristol City should never have been it to start with. I want to be proud of my club and winning the MM cup  regardless of how many times certainly didn’t make me feel proud - reaching the semifinals of the league cup did tho......something other ‘bigger’ clubs would notice

I couldn’t tell you who won the tin pot trophy last season or the any season that City didn’t win it but I could tell you who won the FA cup......and who won the PL.

47 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Don’t try to lecture me UTC.

I enjoyed those days out to Wembley but ultimately they mean bugger all. The Mickey Mouse Cup is for lower league clubs and imv a cub like Bristol City should never have been it to start with. I want to be proud of my club and winning the MM cup  regardless of how many times certainly didn’t make me feel proud - reaching the semifinals of the league cup did tho......something other ‘bigger’ clubs would notice

I couldn’t tell you who won the tin pot trophy last season or the any season that City didn’t win it but I could tell you who won the FA cup......and who won the PL.

Sounds to me like you could do supporting another club.

Id love to see behind the scenes and the changing rooms etc. Happily pay a tenner

On 24/08/2019 at 13:52, Desso said:

Having been a supporter for 50 odd years and a season ticket holder for 40, I contacted the club to find out if I could have a stadium tour. Not too much to ask one might think but the answer was "despite numerous requests, we don't do stadium tours". Why not I wonder? Surely on quiet days it wouldn't do any harm to have a volunteer to show people around, a senior red perhaps. Maybe a lot of forum members have been around already but I'm sure most haven't. 

Remember a guy called steve Webb use to take you round on match day experience what he didnt kniw about Bristol city wasnt worth knowing not sure what happened to him was great on our history.

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

Tell me what City have won that’s of any significance?

In over 50 years of following City I’ve witnessed various promotions and a few Micky Mouse cups - that’s it.

So what would you suggest City put in the museum?

You really think a club museum should only focus on prizes won, and not the overall history of the club..?!

3 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Remember a guy called steve Webb use to take you round on match day experience what he didnt kniw about Bristol city wasnt worth knowing not sure what happened to him was great on our history.

Yes, I remember him.

Archived