IGNORED

Bolton Att.

slartibartfast

26 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

5400 against Ipswich (who would have bought a lot)  what's the deal, are they on strike? The hoo-ha they created when they could have disappeared, unbelievable !

I was there every week, and I dare say you were too slarti, but don't forget in 81 -82,  the season City almost went out of existence, our average was only 6.3k in that division, and the following season after (yet another) relegation we were down to 4.7k average.

Loads of City fans completely deserted the club - and though a fair few returned for that Fulham game immediately after the club survived, many didn't return for long!!

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was there every week, and I dare say you were too slarti, but don't forget in 81 -82,  the season City almost went out of existence, our average was only 6.3k in that division, and the following season after (yet another) relegation we were down to 4.7k average.

Loads of City fans completely deserted the club - and though a fair few returned for that Fulham game immediately after the club survived, many didn't return for long!!

Beat me to it

Like Bolton now, it’s down to the loyal of the time

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Steady mate ... People have been called gas for less :laugh: ...

Credit to any Bolton fan turning up to watch what's effectively a youth team playing league football .... Totally unprecedented stuff ... 

15 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Those were the days! I can remember watching two young kids having a kick around with a ball in the East End during a game. The terraces were empty and we were getting beat every week. Sad times and not that long after we were in the top flight. 

18 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Am proud to say I was there for every home game we played in the old 4th division, small crowds but was in some ways better due to that feeling of all sticking together through the bad times and relief we still had a club to support.

32 minutes ago, pillred said:

Am proud to say I was there for every home game we played in the old 4th division, small crowds but was in some ways better due to that feeling of all sticking together through the bad times and relief we still had a club to support.

I went to virtually every away game in those two seasons, mostly on coach one......a lot of the time that was it !:P

2 hours ago, pillred said:

In fairness, attendances were right down across the country for a variety of reasons in varying parts of the 1980s- but the fall numerically, startling nonetheless.

44 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In fairness, attendances were right down across the country for a variety of reasons in varying parts of the 1980s- but the fall numerically, startling nonetheless.

Always amazes me when I look at how low some current premier league teams attendances have been in the past, Newcastle Utd being one. They had less than 12,000 when they played us in 1994 and have had several crowds under 11,000 in the past 30 years.

Remember those days with a certain  amount of affection in a strange way, almost on first name terms with much of the crowd, think we dipped as low as 3k for a game against Millwall as we departed Div 3 and I'll always remember Hereford away over Xmas and we won to climb off the bottom of Div 4, we have moved on so much since those dark days, seems like a lifetime away, these days people moan when we don't get 20k through the door, when you reach the bottom as we did back then their is only one way to go !!! Or you could go to Div 5 I suppose ???

23 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`m no absolutely certain but I don`t think they could sell any season tickets due to all the uncertainty over their future.

I might have dreamed that though.

Pretty sure this is true. The Bolton situation is a mess and it seems a personal spat between Bassini(wanted to buy and says he has) and Anderson(owner/former owner?) delayed progression further. 

30 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Remember those days with a certain  amount of affection in a strange way, almost on first name terms with much of the crowd, think we dipped as low as 3k for a game against Millwall as we departed Div 3 and I'll always remember Hereford away over Xmas and we won to climb off the bottom of Div 4, we have moved on so much since those dark days, seems like a lifetime away, these days people moan when we don't get 20k through the door, when you reach the bottom as we did back then their is only one way to go !!! Or you could go to Div 5 I suppose ???

Surely no Bristol club could ever sink that low could they?

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Correct. Football was deeply unfashionable, unlovable, and historically unpopular across the country, and beyond, at the time that we managed an unprecedented fall from grace and experienced our lowest low. Crowds were disappearing thanks to violence in the stands, appalling facilities, dire negative football and low scoring rates, etc etc. 

But anyone that thinks we had low crowds between 82 and 84 might want to check Cardiff's average over the next few years after that. We were, relatively, reasonably loyal, as it happens.

4 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Correct. Football was deeply unfashionable, unlovable, and historically unpopular across the country, and beyond, at the time that we managed an unprecedented fall from grace and experienced our lowest low. Crowds were disappearing thanks to violence in the stands, appalling facilities, dire negative football and low scoring rates, etc etc. 

But anyone that thinks we had low crowds between 82 and 84 might want to check Cardiff's average over the next few years after that. We were, relatively, reasonably loyal, as it happens.

Agreed. Would also add in certain parts of the country unemployment rising sharply would've played a role- put that with all that you put together and it's a very grim prognosis.

Would be interesting to see how those ones between us and them diverged.

7 hours ago, pillred said:

Always amazes me when I look at how low some current premier league teams attendances have been in the past, Newcastle Utd being one. They had less than 12,000 when they played us in 1994 and have had several crowds under 11,000 in the past 30 years.

Tbh outside the PL football has really only kicked up attendance wise in last 15-20 years. Dunno how accurate some of these sites are hurt some seemingly quite well supported clubs now didn't attract so many even 20 years ago..

Dunno how good a gauge of attendances and support Cup games can be, was the 12,000 in 1994 a Cup game? Seemed to take a while with a fair few clubs to build it back up again.

10 hours ago, pillred said:

Me too, and most of the away games too.

Never occurred to me not to.

Our reward eventually came with that fantastic promotion day at Chester, right up there up there in my top City memories along with Leeds away in the FA Cup, Portsmouth, Arsenal, Coventry, etc.

City's average gates during our relentless plummet through the divisions:

DIv.1 78-79 22,306 13th Mmm, everything seems fine. :photo:

Div. 1 79-80 18,550 Relegated :grr:

Div 2 80-81 9,950 Relegated :grr:

Div.3 81-82 6,308 Relegated :grr:

Div.4 82-83 4,723 14th :sweatingbullets: :noexp:

Div. 4 83-84 7,212 PROMOTED :clap::city: ? 'Hello , hello, City are back, City are back.' :bounce:

8 hours ago, pillred said:

Chelsea had a few sub-10k crowds for league games as recently as about 93/94 as well.

10 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I went to virtually every away game in those two seasons, mostly on coach one......a lot of the time that was it !:P

I went to virtually every away game in those two seasons, mostly on coach TWO. Wherever coach one went, so did coach two!

We played Doncaster away one night. Can't remember the score other than their goalscorer said that because the floodlight shone on John Shaw's bald head, he could see he was off the line so lobbed him from stupidly yards out!

The other memory I have of that night is that that the coaches got there soooooo early we had little else to do. Nigel from one of the coaches, was a great knowledge on racing. Opposite the ground was Doncaster racecourse. Nigel decided to operate a guided tour of the course and stands. What a tour! 

We still had time for a beer or two in the Donny Supporters bar before kick off. Amazingly, we sat next to John Shaw's relative who was a Doncaster fan!

We might have been in Division Four but what a time to support the reds. Great memories. ....I might have even bumped into Slartibartfast!

10 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

I went to virtually every away game in those two seasons, mostly on coach TWO. Wherever coach one went, so did coach two!

We played Doncaster away one night. Can't remember the score other than their goalscorer said that because the floodlight shone on John Shaw's bald head, he could see he was off the line so lobbed him from stupidly yards out!

The other memory I have of that night is that that the coaches got there soooooo early we had little else to do. Nigel from one of the coaches, was a great knowledge on racing. Opposite the ground was Doncaster racecourse. Nigel decided to operate a guided tour of the course and stands. What a tour! 

We still had time for a beer or two in the Donny Supporters bar before kick off. Amazingly, we sat next to John Shaw's relative who was a Doncaster fan!

We might have been in Division Four but what a time to support the reds. Great memories. ....I might have even bumped into Slartibartfast!

I must know you, I went on that tramp round the course with Nige and the Donny supporters club............playing pool in there that night was a very young Divvy !           Pretty sure Donny were top and we were about 4th or 5th, anyhoo we got a 1-1 draw , small world ain't it .     

Archived