IGNORED

Bolton Att.

slartibartfast

9 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

I went to virtually every away game in those two seasons, mostly on coach TWO. Wherever coach one went, so did coach two!

We played Doncaster away one night. Can't remember the score other than their goalscorer said that because the floodlight shone on John Shaw's bald head, he could see he was off the line so lobbed him from stupidly yards out!

The other memory I have of that night is that that the coaches got there soooooo early we had little else to do. Nigel from one of the coaches, was a great knowledge on racing. Opposite the ground was Doncaster racecourse. Nigel decided to operate a guided tour of the course and stands. What a tour! 

We still had time for a beer or two in the Donny Supporters bar before kick off. Amazingly, we sat next to John Shaw's relative who was a Doncaster fan!

We might have been in Division Four but what a time to support the reds. Great memories. ....I might have even bumped into Slartibartfast!

Wasn’t that Crewe?  John Crabbe?

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed. Would also add in certain parts of the country unemployment rising sharply would've played a role- put that with all that you put together and it's a very grim prognosis.

Would be interesting to see how those ones between us and them diverged.

Tbh outside the PL football has really only kicked up attendance wise in last 15-20 years. Dunno how accurate some of these sites are hurt some seemingly quite well supported clubs now didn't attract so many even 20 years ago..

Dunno how good a gauge of attendances and support Cup games can be, was the 12,000 in 1994 a Cup game? Seemed to take a while with a fair few clubs to build it back up again.

It was a league game (div 2) they had less than 10,000 a couple of months earlier October against millwall in the Littlewoods cup.

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed. Would also add in certain parts of the country unemployment rising sharply would've played a role- put that with all that you put together and it's a very grim prognosis.

Would be interesting to see how those ones between us and them diverged.

Tbh outside the PL football has really only kicked up attendance wise in last 15-20 years. Dunno how accurate some of these sites are hurt some seemingly quite well supported clubs now didn't attract so many even 20 years ago..

Dunno how good a gauge of attendances and support Cup games can be, was the 12,000 in 1994 a Cup game? Seemed to take a while with a fair few clubs to build it back up again.

I remember going to Newcastle (against us) for Kevin Keenan’s first ever game as manager there. 

The hype and excitement around it at the time was phenomenal and a lot was made of the fact that they were expecting an incredible 30k attendance for a 2nd tier match. 

I’ve also been at Roker Park, when there were about 11k there. 

I’ve been at many a City match, where the crowds struggled to get over 8k

Most amazing of all though, I’ve been at the Mem on one of the few occasions they’ve managed to get over 10k ??

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Administrators for Bolton state latest deal to buy the club has fallen through and Bolton will begin process of liquidation if no deal agreed before 5pm tomorrow !

Terrible news and such a sad state of affairs. 

I think the only proper solution would be to demote Rovers back to the conference. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Wasn’t that Crewe?  John Crabbe?

Am I getting that old where I'm confusing my Crewes and Doncasters? 

I've been to Gresty Road a few times but I wasn't at that particular game. Maybe it happened twice to John Shaw?

I think that was the main reason why he started to wear a cap after the goal (Doncaster or Crewe)!

20 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Most amazing of all though, I’ve been at the Mem on one of the few occasions they’ve managed to get over 10k ??

Was South Africa playing that day? Massive crowd and plenty of anti-apartheid protests. Made the national BBC news.

9 minutes ago, RaspberryRed said:

WOW 

Looks like they're gone this time! Wednesday is D Day

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49470865

No, just some brinkmanship by Anderson for allowing a new bid to be tabled.

Evidence of a realistic bid will be provided to the EFL on Tuesday and they will get another week's extension.

Same with Bury: rinse and repeat.

I do wonder if Bury will be able to make it through the whole season without playing a game.

If the EFL was serious about enforcing the rules then they would have kicked both clubs out during the summer to pitch up in Conference North.

As they didn't then they won't now.

Both clubs have bought league places that they couldn't afford and should be kicked out. They won't disappear of course despite the melodramatics of some of their supporters. No club with a decent support ever folds and is no more.

It's Notts County fans, losing league status after 140 years, and Plymouth fans languishing in Div 4 for whom I feel sorry; not the cheating management of Bury and Bolton.

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

No, just some brinkmanship by Anderson for allowing a new bid to be tabled.

Evidence of a realistic bid will be provided to the EFL on Tuesday and they will get another week's extension.

Same with Bury: rinse and repeat.

I do wonder if Bury will be able to make it through the whole season without playing a game.

If the EFL was serious about enforcing the rules then they would have kicked both clubs out during the summer to pitch up in Conference North.

As they didn't then they won't now.

Both clubs have bought league places that they couldn't afford and should be kicked out. They won't disappear of course despite the melodramatics of some of their supporters. No club with a decent support ever folds and is no more.

It's Notts County fans, losing league status after 140 years, and Plymouth fans languishing in Div 4 for whom I feel sorry; not the cheating management of Bury and Bolton.

There will be no extension this time the efl have made it clear in both clubs cases,

bury if not sold will be gone today I think 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

There will be no extension this time the efl have made it clear in both clubs cases,

bury if not sold will be gone today I think 

If I knew you would be having money on both of those; but I don't piss about with money online.

Except Bury being sold; obviously that is a possible outcome.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

I remember going to Newcastle (against us) for Kevin Keenan’s first ever game as manager there. 

The hype and excitement around it at the time was phenomenal and a lot was made of the fact that they were expecting an incredible 30k attendance for a 2nd tier match. 

I think that was my first vist to Newcastle. I thought we took a lot there until they scored their first and half the city pen started cheering. I remember being kept in at the end, and the exit gate getting a good buffetting from outside forces. Glad it held.

1 minute ago, pillred said:

yes 17th Dec 1994, their Littlewoods cup game was in the Oct of that year, must say it surprised me that they had such small attendances in the 80s and 90s.

Once again, attendances were right down in the 1980s for a range of reasons. Football as a viable entity or at least a business proposition was in a woeful place- this plays its role. Remember unemployment spiked in some parts of the country including Newcastle I suspect for a while that decade- this played a role too I'd say. 

Also there are sites that state historic attendances. Some decent sized Championship/yoyo 2nd tier lower PL clubs in mid to late 1990s and even early 2000s had lower stated attendances in the 2nd tier than people may now assume.

Obviously Newcastle put a lot on with Keegan etc but average attendances overall a better gauge than individual ones.

Early 80s I was at Uni. People assumed you must be a hooligan to follow football. Had a friend doing the 92 and we went all over. Our professors treated us like a fascinating social experiment. Was at Peterborough away for a cup match. From memory Ricky Chandler scored and there were 37  of us there. Happy days though. We felt a revival was just around the corner. Chester was up there with the best. The supporters coaches made it back to the Gate before the players who we met off the coach. Tom Ritchie ran into my late brothers arms. Was of the highlights of his City days! Players joined us in the supporters club for a drunken evening. Felt like a turning point. Shame it has taken so long to get back to bring a potential top flight side. Explains some of the frustration I think. 

Gates were awful in the 80’s apart from local derbies.

Strangly I enjoyed the fourth division because we actually starting winning games after December 82.The fact that everyone at Ashton Gate was a true fan also helped.

A friend of mine and still argue about how many Halifax bought down on a freezing night .I say it was 13 .He is convinced it was 15.They did the conga most of the night to keep warm..As dogman daryl says - happy days.

On 25/08/2019 at 02:00, TedBrist0l77 said:

Steady mate ... People have been called gas for less :laugh: ...

Credit to any Bolton fan turning up to watch what's effectively a youth team playing league football .... Totally unprecedented stuff ... 

Could be worse, could be paying to watch has beens and cast offs playing hoofball whilst watching from a leaky tent 

On 26/08/2019 at 00:05, Norn Iron said:

I went to virtually every away game in those two seasons, mostly on coach TWO. Wherever coach one went, so did coach two!

We played Doncaster away one night. Can't remember the score other than their goalscorer said that because the floodlight shone on John Shaw's bald head, he could see he was off the line so lobbed him from stupidly yards out!

The other memory I have of that night is that that the coaches got there soooooo early we had little else to do. Nigel from one of the coaches, was a great knowledge on racing. Opposite the ground was Doncaster racecourse. Nigel decided to operate a guided tour of the course and stands. What a tour! 

We still had time for a beer or two in the Donny Supporters bar before kick off. Amazingly, we sat next to John Shaw's relative who was a Doncaster fan!

We might have been in Division Four but what a time to support the reds. Great memories. ....I might have even bumped into Slartibartfast!

Was in the 4-1 (Or was it 4-0?) defeat at Crewe, shortly to be followed by a 7-1 defeat at Northampton. I too was at most games during the Gory Years, including a crowd of just over1,000 for a meaningless night game at Chester (A dull 0-0). Good times though, so glad just to have a team to follow.

Archived