IGNORED

Player Ratings - Hull (a) - 3-1 Win

Davefevs

3 wins in a week, fantastic result.  Not perfect, but you always felt we had a goal or two in us today.

Usual ratings...no half marks. 6/10 is a player earning his corn.

Bentley - 8 - my MOTM today.  So assured, and made crucial saves, and commanded his box.  Got his confidence back, and you can begin to see the understanding building with his defenders.

Pereira (66m) - 7 - great kegs up and down and some lovely whipped crosses.  Has the pace to recover and grew into the game.  Replaced by Hunt.

Hunt (24m) - 8 - what an impact.  Second assist this season (to add to his goal), and relishing sharing the minutes with Pedro.  Was a great cross that Afobe would’ve buried had Burke not turned it into his own goal.  The right side was very good today.

Moore - 7 - very disciplined today and learning all the time.  Used his body well today and we all feared he might suffer when Kalas went off, but he’s thriving with the opportunity.  Used the ball very well today.

Kalas (32m) - 6 - went off injured but a couple of lovely interceptions and drives forward in the half hour he was on.  Can only hope he’s come off before making it worse.  Only 3 games in Sept if it is a few weeks.  Replaced by Palmer.

Palmer (58m) - 6 - did some nice stuff, but loses a mark for a third yellow card and losing the ball for their equaliser.  He put a few lovely balls through and again worked hard in the unfamiliar left midfield role.

Baker - 7 - solid, and against Eaves didn’t let him get behind him very often.  Did well in a 4 too, which should be no surprise as he’s played most of his career there.  Looks to have his head right.

Rowe - 6 - good outlet on the left, especially from sprayed balls.  Felt he could have done a bit more when he got it, but lo and behold, he’s the one who pops up in the penalty area to get brought down for the first.  Unlucky with Bowen’s goal as played for the offside but Moore hadn’t stepped up.

Brownhill - 6 - another mature performance, working so hard in a two man midfield.  Lots of ball-wins, going unnoticed and perhaps not the chance to get forward as much.

Massengo - 6 - thought Hull pressed him successfully first half, but he learned quickly to move the ball on.  Second half, much better and good range of passes.  Like him as the one who stays up front from corners and he did well to great breaks moving.

Weimann - 8 - started in the KP no10, and involved in lots of our good work in the first half.  Got better as game rolled on, and his willingness to work hard with and without the ball paid dividends for a lovely cross for our third.  I think we seeing his best form since last August.

Diedhiou (75m) - 6 - a mixed game. A couple of lovely bits of hold-up play early on, but looked a bit lost at times when we didn’t have the ball.  Very unlucky with header.  Replaced by Semenyo.

Semenyo (15) - no rating, but did ok and linked up well.

Afobe - 8 - thought he missed Weimann initially, but grew into the game and must love having Palmer on the pitch.  He times his runs so well.  Should’ve had a penalty before he eventually scored after Rowe fouled.  Second goal was a cool finish off a bouncing ball.  We’ve seen those missed, but you sense Afobe trusts himself.  I’m sure he would’ve scored from Hunt’s cross, so could’ve easily had a hat-trick today.  Probably MOTM, but just felt Bentley deserved it.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

3 wins in a week, fantastic result.  Not perfect, but you always felt we had a goal or two in us today.

Usual ratings...no half marks. 6/10 is a player earning his corn.

Bentley - 8 - my MOTM today.  So assured, and made crucial saves, and commanded his box.  Got his confidence back, and you can begin to see the understanding building with his defenders.

Pereira (66m) - 7 - great kegs up and down and some lovely whipped crosses.  Has the pace to recover and grew into the game.  Replaced by Hunt.

Hunt (24m) - 8 - what an impact.  Second assist this season (to add to his goal), and relishing sharing the minutes with Pedro.  Was a great cross that Afobe would’ve buried had Burke not turned it into his own goal.  The right side was very good today.

Moore - 7 - very disciplined today and learning all the time.  Used his body well today and we all feared he might suffer when Kalas went off, but he’s thriving with the opportunity.  Used the ball very well today.

Kalas (32m) - 6 - went off injured but a couple of lovely interceptions and drives forward in the half hour he was on.  Can only hope he’s come off before making it worse.  Only 3 games in Sept if it is a few weeks.  Replaced by Palmer.

Palmer (58m) - 6 - did some nice stuff, but loses a mark for a third yellow card and losing the ball for their equaliser.  He put a few lovely balls through and again worked hard in the unfamiliar left midfield role.

Baker - 7 - solid, and against Eaves didn’t let him get behind him very often.  Did well in a 4 too, which should be no surprise as he’s played most of his career there.  Looks to have his head right.

Rowe - 6 - good outlet on the left, especially from sprayed balls.  Felt he could have done a bit more when he got it, but lo and behold, he’s the one who pops up in the penalty area to get brought down for the first.  Unlucky with Bowen’s goal as played for the offside but Moore hadn’t stepped up.

Brownhill - 6 - another mature performance, working so hard in a two man midfield.  Lots of ball-wins, going unnoticed and perhaps not the chance to get forward as much.

Massengo - 6 - thought Hull pressed him successfully first half, but he learned quickly to move the ball on.  Second half, much better and good range of passes.  Like him as the one who stays up front from corners and he did well to great breaks moving.

Weimann - 8 - started in the KP no10, and involved in lots of our good work in the first half.  Got better as game rolled on, and his willingness to work hard with and without the ball paid dividends for a lovely cross for our third.  I think we seeing his best form since last August.

Diedhiou (75m) - 6 - a mixed game. A couple of lovely bits of hold-up play early on, but looked a bit lost at times when we didn’t have the ball.  Very unlucky with header.  Replaced by Semenyo.

Semenyo (15) - no rating, but did ok and linked up well.

Afobe - 8 - thought he missed Weimann initially, but grew into the game and must love having Palmer on the pitch.  He times his runs so well.  Should’ve had a penalty before he eventually scored after Rowe fouled.  Second goal was a cool finish off a bouncing ball.  We’ve seen those missed, but you sense Afobe trusts himself.  I’m sure he would’ve scored from Hunt’s cross, so could’ve easily had a hat-trick today.  Probably MOTM, but just felt Bentley deserved it.

I’d give Hunt a 5 simply because we have to slag some one off :)

fair reflection dav 

Bentley 8 - so far he is proving me wrong. Hope it continues 
Pereira 5 - good going forward but pretty poor defensively 
Moore 8 - absolute rock and living up to his potential that he had when we signed him 
Baker 7 - solid again. 
Kalas 7 - usual self until injury cut his day short 
Rowe 7 - his best game for us I think. Bowen is a tough opponent and he did well
Massengo 7 - overrun in midfield but no fault of his and pretty mature again 
Brownhill 7 - kept it neat and simple most of the time. Bit sloppy passing forward 
Weimann 7 - poor in possession at times but extremely busy as usual and a big part in the important moments 
Afobe 8 - an incredible signing. So important for us now 
Diedhiou 6 - pretty up and down display. Frustrating again really. 
Subs
Palmer 5 - gave ball away for the goal and inconsistent in possession 
Hunt 7 - some great deliveries and solid defensively 
Semenyo 6 - not on long enough to rate really but nearly scored and looked bright

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Good sets of ratings. Did you go Dave, or did you watch online? Not that I doubt you to provide fair ratings (far from it!) just think it's useful to add in the disclaimer due to watching a stream prevents viewing of off the ball movement/shape.

No, online.  Yep, agree, miss lots when watching on tv / stream....nothing like being there.

Diedhou was a weird one , his first and second touches were generally really good and then he would **** it up with his third touch.

The looping header from 20 yards was a good attempt, and the crossbar one would have gone in off the goalies back another day.

Good effort from all the boys today and a very welcome result.

My only thought here with Massengo....  He is a talent that is for sure, but he has next to no pace whatsoever, i saw him, well not exactly giving up, but certainly being left in peoples wake as he has zero pace.  I think if he plays in  a central 3 and is protected from pace he is going to be awesome, but if he plays in the centre where we only have 2 I fear we may get over run by some team as he just doesn't seem to be able to keep up with even moderate pace.

I want the guy to play, and  I really wan to see Nagy and him in the same midfield as I think that will be something to behold their style should complement one another, I just have an uneasy thought of him with the wrong pairing in a midfield 2.

Anyway this is not meant to be a dig, just an observation, I think the is going to be a cracking player, very "footballing" intelligent

2 minutes ago, TRL said:

My only thought here with Massengo....  He is a talent that is for sure, but he has next to no pace whatsoever, i saw him, well not exactly giving up, but certainly being left in peoples wake as he has zero pace.  I think if he plays in  a central 3 and is protected from pace he is going to be awesome, but if he plays in the centre where we only have 2 I fear we may get over run by some team as he just doesn't seem to be able to keep up with even moderate pace.

I want the guy to play, and  I really wan to see Nagy and him in the same midfield as I think that will be something to behold their style should complement one another, I just have an uneasy thought of him with the wrong pairing in a midfield 2.

Anyway this is not meant to be a dig, just an observation, I think the is going to be a cracking player, very "footballing" intelligent

I think they (Hull) had a plan today to step on him every time he got on the ball.  He had 30/37 (81%) success today on what looked like a pitch that had a high bounce, against often a 3 man press.  I think he did well under the circumstances and the press on him gave freedom elsewhere.

Two tough games, away from home, 180 minutes of physical Championship football, for a lad just turned 18....in a midfield 2.

I think you are right to an extent re pace....but I think some of it appears to show because of lack of physicality.  Quite big spaces today, it wasn’t a compact game where he can nip in with challenges.

He is one that will benefit from a little rest this week.

7ACB1239-B60F-4610-92DA-9A902653B15C.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think they (Hull) had a plan today to step on him every time he got on the ball.  He had 30/37 (81%) success today on what looked like a pitch that had a high bounce, against often a 3 man press.  I think he did well under the circumstances and the press on him gave freedom elsewhere.

Two tough games, away from home, 180 minutes of physical Championship football, for a lad just turned 18....in a midfield 2.

I think you are right to an extent re pace....but I think some of it appears to show because of lack of physicality.  Quite big spaces today, it wasn’t a compact game where he can nip in with challenges.

He is one that will benefit from a little rest this week.

7ACB1239-B60F-4610-92DA-9A902653B15C.jpeg

yep you make some very good points there. I do think he is slow, but he has the intelligence to make up for it.  He is new to the side in a different country with a different style of play, I think he will get him self positioned better as he he learns, he can negate his pace issues.

Steep learning curve for the lad and I think he is dealing with it well

4 minutes ago, TRL said:

yep you make some very good points there. I do think he is slow, but he has the intelligence to make up for it.  He is new to the side in a different country with a different style of play, I think he will get him self positioned better as he he learns, he can negate his pace issues.

Steep learning curve for the lad and I think he is dealing with it well

Hes only going to get better. A lot better. Doesn't look out of place and you can see hes clever.

I actually think there's a hell of alot more to come from us as a whole 

1 minute ago, BCFC Grim said:

Hes only going to get better. A lot better. Doesn't look out of place and you can see hes clever.

I actually think there's a hell of alot more to come from us as a whole 

if we get Nagy and him together, their play is only going to benefit Brownhill, who can't fail but to learn and improve from 2 very intelligent midfield partners

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

Also worth noting that when Fam`s header hit the bar he was the player that went in with the defender for the rebound so he must have shifted pretty quickly then

He seems to be quick of the mark in terms of knowing when to go and getting a jump on someone, in a foot race he is not the same, both games he has played, in a straight one on one he has fallen behind the guy he is chasing, i may be being unfair on the bloke as he could have been up against speed freaks...  but it was noticeable. Again, I don't think it is going to hamper him, as he has the footballing knowledge to position himself well.

It is something his team mates need to be aware of to help him out. Pereria was well aware today and cover it off for him twice, as long as that happens we are in a good place.

Think my mom would be Weimann.

Purely because he's got his act together when making runs.

Always had the work rate and desire...just needed the head and calmness to go with it.

Long may it continue...think him, Rowe and Brownhill could be unsung heroes this season.

1 hour ago, TRL said:

are you sure about that?  I've rarely seen a City player cover so much ground so quickly.

3 hours ago, RedDave said:

Bentley 8 - so far he is proving me wrong. Hope it continues 
Pereira 5 - good going forward but pretty poor defensively 
Moore 8 - absolute rock and living up to his potential that he had when we signed him 
Baker 7 - solid again. 
Kalas 7 - usual self until injury cut his day short 
Rowe 7 - his best game for us I think. Bowen is a tough opponent and he did well
Massengo 7 - overrun in midfield but no fault of his and pretty mature again 
Brownhill 7 - kept it neat and simple most of the time. Bit sloppy passing forward 
Weimann 7 - poor in possession at times but extremely busy as usual and a big part in the important moments 
Afobe 8 - an incredible signing. So important for us now 
Diedhiou 6 - pretty up and down display. Frustrating again really. 
Subs
Palmer 5 - gave ball away for the goal and inconsistent in possession 
Hunt 7 - some great deliveries and solid defensively 
Semenyo 6 - not on long enough to rate really but nearly scored and looked bright

Did you go? Or are these ratings from watching a stream? Cheers ...

1 minute ago, Top Robin said:

are you sure about that?  I've rarely seen a City player cover so much ground si quickly.

in a foot race yes he appears to have no pace, in terms of covering ground in the midfield area i agree he gets around it quickly. That is what is so odd. Chasing back with an opponent he appears to have concrete boots, closing down space and moving around his brain works quickly and gets him into that space before others are moving.

take a look at some highlights you will see what i mean, Pereria pulled him out of the doo doo twice by tracking back and covering the guy he could not keep up with.

I am not having a go at the lad you either you have pace or you don't its just my observation

Archived