IGNORED

Nathan no nonsense Baker

AppyDAZE

He has that desire back. That's why I was always criticising him over last 12 or so months. Seemed to lose his desire to me, which is what he relies on to be a no nonsense centre half. Keep this up and very happy with him in the side up till January at least.

38 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Stay fit fella, stay on the pitch (no mad red cards / decisions) and this could be your year at BCFC.

VERY impressive start to 2019-20, NB

Hero status can be yours, grab it with both hands cos you are well capable.

Totally agree, I love the guy - hence me starting this topic ... he’s a warrior back there ...

Baker is a quality central defender at this level. He always has been. We just had two exceptional central defenders last season, and he's struggled for fitness in the past. That's it.

We're fortunate to have a player of his quality. Let's hope he stays fit.

5 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Baker is a quality central defender at this level. He always has been. We just had two exceptional central defenders last season, and he's struggled for fitness in the past. That's it.

We're fortunate to have a player of his quality. Let's hope he stays fit.

Yes agree, but me truly need him to play his  part now.

7 hours ago, Knighty said:

Might have something to do with his missus and the engagement out of season.. looks a lot more level headed n determined 

His missus does?

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Ridiculous that some had seemed to have written him off. 

Always been one of the best CB’s in this division, when fit. 

Great to see him back again! 

In fairness he was playing well below his standards .

He was often ‘ injured ‘ and seemed to go off at the slightest knock .

He , equally, seemed to get banned for too many bookings resulting in time off at special moments ( famously one Christmas) 

He appeared to have been bypassed as his style appeared to be incongruent with that of the first team.

Maybe the penny has dropped and now he’s ready to show what he can do now his chance has come round again.

LJ needs to know that he can depend on him which hasn’t been the case before .

Well done Nathan, keep it up son .

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

In fairness he was playing well below his standards .

He was often ‘ injured ‘ and seemed to go off at the slightest knock .

He , equally, seemed to get banned for too many bookings resulting in time off at special moments ( famously one Christmas) 

He appeared to have been bypassed as his style appeared to be incongruent with that of the first team.

Maybe the penny has dropped and now he’s ready to show what he can do now his chance has come round again.

LJ needs to know that he can depend on him which hasn’t been the case before .

Well done Nathan, keep it up son .

Valid points, although most of his injuries have come from putting his body on the line. 

Lets not forget that he also had to overcome, physically, but also and possibly moreso - a fractured skull last season. Maybe that had more effect on him and his confidence than people realised. 

EDIT: actually, now I’ve written that... was it Baker or Kalas, who fractured their skull..? Away at Wigan I think it was.

Something is now making me think it was Kalas..?!

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Valid points, although most of his injuries have come from putting his body on the line. 

Lets not forget that he also had to overcome, physically, but also and possibly moreso - a fractured skull last season. Maybe that had more effect on him and his confidence than people realised. 

A Fractured skull ?

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

As edited above. May have actually been Kalas..? 

I’m sure one of them did. Wigan away..?

Think it might have been an accidental clash of heads with our own player...? 

Kalas - Fractured Jaw

By Marley Watkins

Tbh you’ve actually highlighted the difference I see between Kalas and Baker of the last two seasons

I still find it unbelievable, having seen the metalwork needed in his jaw ,  that an on Loan player (Kalas) was back on the pitch giving everything for us  in about ? 5 ? weeks 

Personally ,I don’t think Baker would have been 

Good to see his current form and upwards curve though

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Kalas - Fractured Jaw

By Marley Watkins

Tbh you’ve actually highlighted the difference I see between Kalas and Baker of the last two seasons

I still find it unbelievable, having seen the metalwork needed in his jaw ,  that an on Loan player (Kalas) was back on the pitch giving everything for us  in about ? 5 ? weeks 

Personally ,I don’t think Baker would have been 

Good to see his current form and upwards curve though

Ah yes, that’s right. Jaw not skull. And Kalas, not Baker. 

Otherwise, I was spot on..! ??

Yes, incredible how quickly he was back playing! 

I just got his stats from soccerbase and assuming they are correct, if so where are all his yellows and reds that many seem to think he gets, on what seems like a weekly basis?

2017/18 - 38 appearances, 7 yellows and 1 red - is that high for a central defender for a season?

2018/19 - 17 appearances (didn't check how many from the bench) no yellows, and no reds

2019/20 - 5 appearances and 1 yellow

Are the stats wrong? Or do we only remember a few crunching tackles that are perceived to be non stop cards just waiting to happen?

He has been superb so far along with Taylor Moore, we just have to hope they both stay fit for the next couple of months.

1 hour ago, wood_red said:

I just got his stats from soccerbase and assuming they are correct, if so where are all his yellows and reds that many seem to think he gets, on what seems like a weekly basis?

2017/18 - 38 appearances, 7 yellows and 1 red - is that high for a central defender for a season?

2018/19 - 17 appearances (didn't check how many from the bench) no yellows, and no reds

Are the stats wrong? Or do we only remember a few crunching tackles that are perceived to be non stop cards just waiting to happen?

He has been superb so far along with Taylor Moore, we just have to hope they both stay fit for the next couple of months.

I think we need a sub forum for people who insist on quoting facts. There is no place for this kind of perspective.

Whatever next, comparing Fammy's record with £15m Assombalonga? Claims that Jack Hunt can cross a ball, just because he can in fact cross a ball? Outrageous!?

3 hours ago, wood_red said:

It's called "first impressions" squire. Or, early ones, at least. Very common human phenomenon. Have a look at his first 20 games or so for us, on loan. The Blackburn home game, especially, left us with psychological "scars" as far as Nathan is concerned. Messed with our judgement of Nathan a bit them early games (it's why we're not football scouts, just mere flawed fans).

The going off with various injuries also contributes to our skewed world/Baker view, however fairly or unfairly (we never know for sure the truth of these things).

Very difficult to shake off, first impressions, and it'll take a bit more than four good games in August to achieve this. 

35 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

It's called "first impressions" squire. Or, early ones, at least. Very common human phenomenon. Have a look at his first 20 games or so for us, on loan. The Blackburn home game, especially, left us with psychological "scars" as far as Nathan is concerned. Messed with our judgement of Nathan a bit them early games (it's why we're not football scouts, just mere flawed fans).

The going off with various injuries also contributes to our skewed world/Baker view, however fairly or unfairly (we never know for sure the truth of these things).

Very difficult to shake off, first impressions, and it'll take a bit more than four good games in August to achieve this. 

I’ve said on here before that I think Bakes is a player who needs to be 100% to be his best, whether that’s mentally or physically.  That game v Blackburn he looked far from happy in the Pre-match warm-up.  Of course we will never know whether he wanted to play, or whether he was asked / forced to play....but you can sometimes sense all is not well from his warm-up.

He is a very shy guy, almost the opposite of his on field persona.

Hoping that we will see him return to 17/18 (pre-qpr) form.

I thought his time might be up here, but that was whilst we still had Webster.  He does provide that good left side balance.

Keep it up Bakes.

4 hours ago, archie andrews said:

Also helps having a better midfield this season....... 

Yep. I think with more mobility in front of the defence, they are better protected. At least it looks like that so far imo

Archived