IGNORED

Famara Diedhiou... latest scapegoat.

Superjack

This guy works his bollocks off without any support or any player within twenty yards of him for over a year.

Then we sign Afobe. And Johnson immediately plays a striker alongside him.

I am sick and ****ing tired of the abuse he gets 

He has become my favourite player. Not because I can see what he brings to the table when other embarrassingly thick "supporters" can't.  

But because of the disgraceful, vitriolic and unjustified abuse he gets. And for what? Sacrificing his best game for the 'good' of a club under a manager's instructions.

I hope he gets a shedload 

2 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Afobe has exposed him unfortunately. I appreciate what Famara has done, but Afobe is twice the player in every area. Has a touch, skills, pace, finishing and superior football intelligence all round. Also interviews fantastically. I'm actually starting to think this might work out better than if we had nketiah!

I don't disagree with anything you say.

But Diedhiou has given his all for the cause without any support for over a year.

And all he gets is abuse.

It's disgusting.

22 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I don't disagree with anything you say.

But Diedhiou has given his all for the cause without any support for over a year.

It's disgusting.

It's s weird that people feel the need to hammer one player, but it's been going on for a fair while, used to be Matty Hill that got it every week, then Roberts staggered ito the club (on his own admission) and the fans gave it to him... 

Dont know if their is an answer, but it's not stopping any time soon.. 

49 minutes ago, Superjack said:

It's disgusting.

Does he get abuse, or do people just state he isn't good enough?

I like Fammy and agree that it's been tough on him to be stuck up top on his own, but can't disagree that he's missed a fair few sitters and his touch leaves a lot to be desired. 

I certainly can't recall anything I'd term as abuse, either on here, or from the stands. 

I don't really get why a player is a scapegoat if people think we need better. We have better in Afobe now so people were probably right saying Diedhiou isn't good enough. I like Fam but we probably needed an upgrade. And the same goes for Pack. He was never a scapegoat, but people could see we needed better.

1 hour ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I like Fammy and agree that it's been tough on him to be stuck up top on his own, but can't disagree that he's missed a fair few sitters and his touch leaves a lot to be desired. 

I certainly can't recall anything I'd term as abuse, either on here, or from the stands. 

He gets abuse, go and look at the match day thread, and tell me if there is any correlation between his terrific effort that came back off the underside of the bar, and the ridiculous descriptions of it or him in the next two pages. You would have thought that it was an open goal and an apparent deliberate attempt to sabotage the teams effort to win.

I don’t know if he is on social media, but I really fear he is getting/will get the same treatment that people like Tammy have been getting.

3 hours ago, Superjack said:

This guy works his bollocks off without any support or any player within twenty yards of him for over a year.

He has become my favourite player. Not because I can see what he brings to the table when other embarrassingly thick "supporters" can't.  

But because of the disgraceful, vitriolic and unjustified abuse he gets. And for what? Sacrificing his best game for the 'good' of a club under a manager's instructions.

Calm down dear,,it's not personal - he's just not good enough.....first touch??.. doesn't really exist so we'll leave it there.

Works hard,good attitude but lacks quality...plain to see.

2 hours ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Well said - my thoughts exactly.

He’s a handful to play against for sure. 

4 hours ago, Superjack said:

This guy works his bollocks off without any support .

I'm sure the club's budget can run to one of these for him.

jockstrap.png.78d857ba7606d0aa34c1c00dab90eb1d.png

On a serious note, the guy's been asked to perform a pretty thankless task - playing as a lone striker. Despite this he's chipped in with a decent goal haul in a pretty low scoring team and Ive said before that he is a striker that defenders will hate playing against.

Having said that he has his weakness, but that is likely to be the case for most strikers at this level. His first touch can be a bit "bouncy" and he perhaps misses a few clear cut chances, although I think he's been unlucky in that his misses are often accentuated by the opposition scoring shortly after,  as was the case yesterday ( although I wouldn't class his header as the "glaring miss " that few others have.

Afobe looks to be a bit more mobile than does Famara, although I agree with the OP in that it must be galling for FD to see Afobe come in and immediately be given a strike partner. Having said that, we've seen new players come in this summer and with many appearing to be an upgrade on who they've replaced. If that is the case with Afobe and Famara then while it's tough on FD, it will be to the teams benefit.

3 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

It's s weird that people feel the need to hammer one player, but it's been going on for a fair while, used to be Matty Hill that got it every week, then Roberts staggered ito the club (on his own admission) and the fans gave it to him... 

Dont know if their is an answer, but it's not stopping any time soon.. 

Even the L1 winners had Kieran Agard filling the role.

It seems there has to be one, and it's Diedhiou's turn now.

15 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Just a question then, why doesn't Taylor get the same vitriol? 

It's like a "face doesn't fit" thing with our supports sometimes I feel. 

It's like if you're funny, or have a good chant, our supporters seem to overlook things. It's actually pretty funny. 

I'll give you a few examples: 

Matty Taylor. Awful. Not good enough at this level. He's 15% of Fams ability, but because he runs around a lot and we stole him from Rovers he's like a cult ******* hero.  He's shite. 

Flint. Wasn't actually that good (defensively). Says a comment about Swindon and becomes some sort of superhero.

Albert Adomah; Had flashes of brilliance, but was an absolute liability when it came to tracking back and lost the ball in some stupid areas fairly consistently. 

But because these players have / had good chants etc all the other stuff is overlooked. 

My advice to Fam would be, ask the media team to do an interview with you so you can do a silly dance or drop in how you much you hate the Gas and then you'll be fine. The fans will then love you.

There is no consistency and a lot of hypocrisy when it comes to "picking" on a player too. Look at Hunt for example. The guy in the last few games has scored an absolute screamer and a couple of assists, but he's too inconsistent according to some, but yet Palmer is a footballing god. Erm, he's probably one of the most inconsistent players on our books. He's always giving the ball away, but yet because he has a chant about "shagging people's wives" this is overlooked.

Then we have the Afobe situation. A lot of our fan base said on transfer day that he was awful. A panic buy and we were scrapping the bottom of the barrel. He's scores some great goals, but that's now because he's a confidence player and that he's playing well because we love him and the Stoke fans got on his back. That's why he was bad for them.  Erm, but it's ok to do it to Fam? Maybe he needs some love? Has anyone thought about that?

Anyway, rant over. 

If people are being overly harsh on Diedhiou then agree. Many have said Taylor isn't good enough for where we are now.

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

Calm down dear,,it's not personal - he's just not good enough.....first touch??.. doesn't really exist so we'll leave it there.

Works hard,good attitude but lacks quality...plain to see.

But it is getting personal, one seasoned idiot poster thinks it’s hilarious to call him Didgereedoo (or something equally pathetic) and far too many morons in the Dolman despair when his touch, finish or movement doesn’t remind them of Messi.

This guy misses some but is a brilliant option - he just needs support. You can see the passion he has wearing our shirt. If we aren’t careful we’ll do to him what Stoke did to Afobe. 

Here we go.  FD abuse ?  Never seen abuse, in fact a popular player. As a human I like the bloke as I have said before here, he’s liked because he beats the badge, bares his teeth and gives his best. Sadly the difference being  Afobe and FD is chalk & cheese, night and day, and all that. That’s why BCFC Bought Afobe in.  FD would  not get us any higher

Last season I reckon FD had a cracking storming  match against WBA at home.  the rest. Some ok, others poor.  Afobe will not play every match. When FD plays he will have the crowd behind him and the support. Afobe has shown the difference in quality, touch, hold up, vision.  

SCAPEGOAT From Wiki

In the Bible, a scapegoat is an animal that is ritually burdened with the sins of others, and then driven away. The concept first appears in Leviticus, in which a goat is designated to be cast into the desert to carry away the sins of the community.

And Aaron shall cast lots upon the two goats: one lot for the LORD, and the other lot for Azazel.

— Leviticus 16:8, Jewish Publication Society (1917)

Practices with some similarities to the scapegoat ritual also appear in ancient Greece and Ebla.

It seems it IS a striker thing.

But Wilbs? Two Shaun Goaters? I only remember the one.

I've got no issue with his effort but I was disappointed with his performances last season and have rated him as a notch below the rest of the team in his minutes so far this season.

I like him, respect him, but ultimately don't rate him and feel this is his last season at the club.

5 hours ago, Superjack said:

I have no problem with his work rate. Just his terrible touch, lack of pace over 5 yards and inability to read the flight of the ball on crosses. Never really attacks the ball. Needs it to land on his head....

In fairness I have also always said we don't play to his strengths though... hit long balls to an isolated striker with a poor touch is obviously not going to work.

Where do you start with Fammy? Great personality from what I’ve seen, a point I made last week when noticing him during the warm up encouraging other players, although obviously disappointed to be on the bench. I actually thought he would grab 20 goals this season if starting regular. But as with all players, he has his deficiencies. For me, far too often on his heels & reacting, rather than acting. Doesn’t create good angles or shows for the ball  to feet enough imo, hence the far to often lofted passes he tends to receive. His touch is somewhat unreliable, whether he is being marked tight or not. But then he will go & score a worldly. So what do I know! But ultimately a great character, good professional & will get my backing when he wears our red shirt. Something he seems to care about, something that we all know isn’t always the case! COYR 

19 minutes ago, Judda said:

I have no problem with his work rate. Just his terrible touch, lack of pace over 5 yards and inability to read the flight of the ball on crosses. Never really attacks the ball. Needs it to land on his head....

In fairness I have also always said we don't play to his strengths though... hit long balls to an isolated striker with a poor touch is obviously not going to work.

Sorry but one of my pet hates is the erroneous use of the word “never”. Tell me that he is not attacking the ball to make that chance yesterday, or the goal against Stoke last season. I have no problem with rarely or “should do it more often”, but you can’t use absolutes like never in the face of evidence to contrary. 

it’s not just you, people do it all the time on here, Paterson never tackles, Palmer never tracks back, all “facts” that easily contradicted by video evidence.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Sorry but one of my pet hates is the erroneous use of the word “never”. Tell me that he is not attacking the ball to make that chance yesterday, or the goal against Stoke last season. I have no problem with rarely or “should do it more often”, but you can’t use absolutes like never in the face of evidence to contrary. 

it’s not just you, people do it all the time on here, Paterson never tackles, Palmer never tracks back, all “facts” that easily contradicted by video evidence.

Ok. Let me rephrase. Rarely attacks the ball...

Better?

?

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Also you can't say that followed by "people do it ALL THE TIME on here "...

??????

FM’s limitations are easy for all to see, but if the team selection and tactics do not fit in with his strengths it’s not and never was his fault.

Obviously the trainers will have been trying to improve him between games, but the team selection is the failure when he’s hung out to dry!

Of course some fans will call him out for his lack of pace, ball control and skill - but they would get even more abuse if they were putting the blame where it really lies.

Our own manager knows exactly what it's like to be a scapegoat as a player for our club. Was one of the biggest examples in recent memory. 

I've not been to many home games in recent years and even I've heard Diedhiou get abuse. I'm sure he doesn't care that much, and I'm sure he'll continue to score at a reasonably impressive rate. I also worry that the abuse might get racist though. Not an accusation, just a natural progression from all the people who call him a donkey. He's obviously good enough. Afobe is probably better. That's the end. 

Archived