IGNORED

Famara Diedhiou... latest scapegoat.

Superjack

4 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Just a question then, why doesn't Taylor get the same vitriol? 

It's like a "face doesn't fit" thing with our supports sometimes I feel. 

It's like if you're funny, or have a good chant, our supporters seem to overlook things. It's actually pretty funny. 

I'll give you a few examples: 

Matty Taylor. Awful. Not good enough at this level. He's 15% of Fams ability, but because he runs around a lot and we stole him from Rovers he's like a cult ******* hero.  He's shite. 

Flint. Wasn't actually that good (defensively). Says a comment about Swindon and becomes some sort of superhero.

Albert Adomah; Had flashes of brilliance, but was an absolute liability when it came to tracking back and lost the ball in some stupid areas fairly consistently. 

But because these players have / had good chants etc all the other stuff is overlooked. 

My advice to Fam would be, ask the media team to do an interview with you so you can do a silly dance or drop in how you much you hate the Gas and then you'll be fine. The fans will then love you.

There is no consistency and a lot of hypocrisy when it comes to "picking" on a player too. Look at Hunt for example. The guy in the last few games has scored an absolute screamer and a couple of assists, but he's too inconsistent according to some, but yet Palmer is a footballing god. Erm, he's probably one of the most inconsistent players on our books. He's always giving the ball away, but yet because he has a chant about "shagging people's wives" this is overlooked.

Then we have the Afobe situation. A lot of our fan base said on transfer day that he was awful. A panic buy and we were scrapping the bottom of the barrel. He's scores some great goals, but that's now because he's a confidence player and that he's playing well because we love him and the Stoke fans got on his back. That's why he was bad for them.  Erm, but it's ok to do it to Fam? Maybe he needs some love? Has anyone thought about that?

Anyway, rant over. 

Brilliant post. ?

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

I can definitely see why people would be frustrated by him . But he is also valuable in the defensive side of things . We have a good strike force at the moment who all offer different options 

Given our ever-growing injury list and shortage of defenders, it would be great if Johnson could convert him into a (temporary) centre-back, the way Cloughie did with Kenny Burns at Forest.

Can't see it happening though as Fammy is not a good tackler.

Great thread - yes he does get abuse, can’t believe people claim otherwise, not as in a whole crowd singing it at him but plenty I hear in the Dolman or at away games who do nothing but moan and ridicule the bloke and are always expecting him or even willing him to fail before he’s even touched the ball, just so they can say I told you so and moan some more.

I will say it’s proportional to crowd size - the further away you go the better Famara is supported and appreciated (name sung again yesterday), perhaps to those of us who’ve seen him be a leader at both ends of the pitch up in tough places like Boro and Forest it’s easier to see what he contributes whereas the masses at Ashton Gate just see his limitations.

What really irritates me is the arguments - if you’re going to criticise the bloke at least use facts, such as he is too slow for our style of football or finished last season and came into this one with his confidence shot to pieces and making mistakes, but no, instead people say he is lazy with a poor attitude... a poor attitude!? What an incredible conclusion to reach.

The bloke probably has the best attitude at the club, as @Superjack says, he has had a year of being isolated up front with balls pumped at his head, now finally we’re playing more attacking football with a forward line and he’s largely lost his place - but is the first player to celebrate our results, always has a smile on his face, and embodies team rather than individual.

Yes Afobe has been a revelation as someone more mobile who can get across players and run off the last man, but it is easier if you’re not having to play full time back to goal shielding long balls. Diedhiou has shown he can score if given good service, Afobe got that yesterday, last time we were in Yorkshire Hunt was smashing crosses over Fam into the Hillsborough stands.

5 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Calm down dear,,it's not personal - he's just not good enough.....first touch??.. doesn't really exist so we'll leave it there.

Works hard,good attitude but lacks quality...plain to see.

the phrase and in a nutshell, is this.

5 hours ago, Badger08 said:

But that's the point isn't it. He is good enough. He's actually got a better scoring ratio than Britt Assombalonga, someone people would have been happy for us to splash out £15m on. 

It's like we always need someone to put down. Cole Skuse, again, wasn't a show pony so people didn't get how good he actually was.  Another example. 

It's not only "we" it is football all over the world. And for a very long time now. Blaming and scapegoating is universal. It even happens amongst the loyal and Few up the Mem, rumour has it.

In 1954, when the Hungarians returned to the Nepstadion following their 2:3 loss to West Germany in the WC final, they were all - Puscas, the lot - booed and jeered by the crowd. The coach, Gustav Szebes, was driven out of his position and out of the game; Puscas cleared off to Madrid (although the invading Soviets also had a part in this).

Another scapegoat, infamously, was Andres Escobar.

The list goes on.

It has always been a part of the game, and always will be; here, and everywhere else. It is sad, unfortunate, I wish it were not so, but there it is: it is what it is. Like it is everywhere.

The problem at AG, or what we are missing, is not so much an absence of scapegoating but the lack of a noisy, lively, boisterous, involved crowd ready to get behind the team and roar us home - like the Leeds fan referred to on here last week.

Leeds do both - they get on their players backs and get right behind them, as the situation dictates; we only, really, do the former. This is the problem at AG, in my opinion 

7 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Just a question then, why doesn't Taylor get the same vitriol? 

It's like a "face doesn't fit" thing with our supports sometimes I feel. 

It's like if you're funny, or have a good chant, our supporters seem to overlook things. It's actually pretty funny. 

I'll give you a few examples: 

Matty Taylor. Awful. Not good enough at this level. He's 15% of Fams ability, but because he runs around a lot and we stole him from Rovers he's like a cult ******* hero.  He's shite. 

Flint. Wasn't actually that good (defensively). Says a comment about Swindon and becomes some sort of superhero.

Albert Adomah; Had flashes of brilliance, but was an absolute liability when it came to tracking back and lost the ball in some stupid areas fairly consistently. 

But because these players have / had good chants etc all the other stuff is overlooked. 

My advice to Fam would be, ask the media team to do an interview with you so you can do a silly dance or drop in how you much you hate the Gas and then you'll be fine. The fans will then love you.

There is no consistency and a lot of hypocrisy when it comes to "picking" on a player too. Look at Hunt for example. The guy in the last few games has scored an absolute screamer and a couple of assists, but he's too inconsistent according to some, but yet Palmer is a footballing god. Erm, he's probably one of the most inconsistent players on our books. He's always giving the ball away, but yet because he has a chant about "shagging people's wives" this is overlooked.

Then we have the Afobe situation. A lot of our fan base said on transfer day that he was awful. A panic buy and we were scrapping the bottom of the barrel. He's scores some great goals, but that's now because he's a confidence player and that he's playing well because we love him and the Stoke fans got on his back. That's why he was bad for them.  Erm, but it's ok to do it to Fam? Maybe he needs some love? Has anyone thought about that?

Anyway, rant over. 

I think actually our fans quite like his character. He comes across as a very happy and jovial character - no sulking when he's not in the team. I wouldn't put this down to a personal attack on his character as such.

He obviously has his limitations, but he's usually asked to do a thankless task as a lone forward. I think one problem with him is his playing style isn't very easy on the eye - fans generally enjoy watching players who have a good first touch and have a graceful style - Diedhiou has neither. Fans tend to remember misplaced passes and poor touches more than most things unfortunately.

I bet if you interviewed the defenders Diedhiou comes up against and asked them about him, they'd say he's difficult to play against. I think he might work very well in a front 2 alongside Afobe. 

Think a lot of strikers in the championship would be happy with 13 goals a season in a tough league when playing up top on their own.

All strikers miss chances, if Afobe misses the chances Fam has I just dont think he would get anywhere near the same type of abuse that Fam has got - if any at all.

He is going to be so important to our team this season, hes a real asset for us. His attitude is great and he is a nuisance even if his touch isnt the best.

Get behind him - he is going to win us plenty of points this year.

5 hours ago, Monkeh said:

When fammy and hunt is out of the team brownhill will get the stick,

its sad, it’s as if some of our fan base just have to have a player that “isn’t good enough”

take palmer yesterday 100% at fault for hull’s equaliser, yet people went out of the way to try and blame Tommy Rowe because Palmer is a cult hero despite giving the ball away  constantly,

fielding was targeted pack by some and now it’s fammy

....and it wasn’t even Tommy Rowe in the LB position....it was Josh Brownhill....and it was Taylor Moore playing Bowen onside.  Palmer should’ve headed the ball.

A catalogue of errors.

3 hours ago, Olé said:

Great thread - yes he does get abuse, can’t believe people claim otherwise, not as in a whole crowd singing it at him but plenty I hear in the Dolman or at away games who do nothing but moan and ridicule the bloke and are always expecting him or even willing him to fail before he’s even touched the ball, just so they can say I told you so and moan some more.

I will say it’s proportional to crowd size - the further away you go the better Famara is supported and appreciated (name sung again yesterday), perhaps to those of us who’ve seen him be a leader at both ends of the pitch up in tough places like Boro and Forest it’s easier to see what he contributes whereas the masses at Ashton Gate just see his limitations.

What really irritates me is the arguments - if you’re going to criticise the bloke at least use facts, such as he is too slow for our style of football or finished last season and came into this one with his confidence shot to pieces and making mistakes, but no, instead people say he is lazy with a poor attitude... a poor attitude!? What an incredible conclusion to reach.

The bloke probably has the best attitude at the club, as @Superjack says, he has had a year of being isolated up front with balls pumped at his head, now finally we’re playing more attacking football with a forward line and he’s largely lost his place - but is the first player to celebrate our results, always has a smile on his face, and embodies team rather than individual.

Yes Afobe has been a revelation as someone more mobile who can get across players and run off the last man, but it is easier if you’re not having to play full time back to goal shielding long balls. Diedhiou has shown he can score if given good service, Afobe got that yesterday, last time we were in Yorkshire Hunt was smashing crosses over Fam into the Hillsborough stands.

Out of likes, but great post.

10 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

I've never seen on here or heard in the ground any vitriolic abuse. People on here have generally stated that he isn't good enough, that is kind of being borne out at the moment with Afobe's current form.

That’s because there is a swear filter on here and I think almost everyone here rates him. On the Facebook pages and Twitter there’s non stop abuse of him and there are some people who moan at him at games or not give him any credit at all for doing something good. 

14 hours ago, Superjack said:

This guy works his bollocks off without any support or any player within twenty yards of him for over a year.

Then we sign Afobe. And Johnson immediately plays a striker alongside him.

I am sick and ****ing tired of the abuse he gets 

He has become my favourite player. Not because I can see what he brings to the table when other embarrassingly thick "supporters" can't.  

But because of the disgraceful, vitriolic and unjustified abuse he gets. And for what? Sacrificing his best game for the 'good' of a club under a manager's instructions.

I hope he gets a shedload 

Another thing to point out is that he’s someone who doesn’t fuss when he gets dropped and then is one of the first to come over to the fans whether he plays or not. Criticism is very unjustified imo

7 hours ago, Flint says No said:

That’s because there is a swear filter on here and I think almost everyone here rates him. On the Facebook pages and Twitter there’s non stop abuse of him and there are some people who moan at him at games or not give him any credit at all for doing something good. 

Another thing to point out is that he’s someone who doesn’t fuss when he gets dropped and then is one of the first to come over to the fans whether he plays or not. Criticism is very unjustified imo

Good points.

The City Facebook groups have the worst offenders. Vile stuff.

Id run around like a headless chicken for 10k a week. Simple as that.. All he offers.

If he isn't offisde hes on the floor. Or hes trying to hit a barn door, one of the three. If he was old school money like £500k even a £1mill fans wouldn't be as bad, although still bad. But 5 million plus pounds. Guys been useless for that price tag

22 hours ago, Superjack said:

This guy works his bollocks off without any support or any player within twenty yards of him for over a year.

He has become my favourite player. Not because I can see what he brings to the table when other embarrassingly thick "supporters" can't.  

But because of the disgraceful, vitriolic and unjustified abuse he gets. And for what? Sacrificing his best game for the 'good' of a club under a manager's instructions.

The people who slag of Famara all seem to rate Matty Taylor. Anyone who rates Matty Taylor is a moron, so I guess that sums it up. 

8 hours ago, Flint says No said:

I think almost everyone here rates him

I genuinely don't believe so.

1 hour ago, Superjack said:

Another thing to point out is that he’s someone who doesn’t fuss when he gets dropped

I'm not sure this has anything to do with what we're talking about,,the one thing that really counts? - what you do on the pitch..

23 hours ago, Superjack said:

Great post! Been saying the exact same since a few started to say how shit they think he is, what you’ve said is 100% spot on but will as usual fall on deaf ears to those who don’t think he is good enough, as someone on here said the other day about the people (prob same ones) who think Weimann is crap, these are the ones who no absolutely naff all about Football.

He has his bad games just the same as everyone else does, his first touch needs working on but I’ll say it again Diedhiou is not a target man, never has and never should like we have done played him as one, yet when we did he had no support whatsoever. His goal return since coming here has been very good, missed a few some being sitters but he’d be in the Prem if he scored with every shot. Laughable those comparing Afobe to him as when Fam is given the same support he’s just as effective, scoring, assisting etc.

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

I genuinely don't believe so.

I'm not sure this has anything to do with what we're talking about,,the one thing that really counts? - what you do on the pitch..

I think you'll find it wasn't me that wrote that.

But in any case you're wrong. It is relevant.

6 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Last season his shot conversion and big chance conversion ratio were both very poor. I like him but you can’t defend that in a “goal scorer”

One that particularly stood out for me was an oppertunity on his left foot to shoot at an open net,,home v Leeds at the away end but tried to come back in onto his right foot!!.....

It spoke volumes.

1 minute ago, Robert the bruce said:

One that particularly stood out for me was an oppertunity on his left foot to shoot at an open net,,home v Leeds at the away end but tried to come back in onto his right foot!!.....

It spoke volumes.

There was also a header at basically an open goal from 6 yards out against someone? That was bad 

I've never understood why fans abuse current players, perhaps it's the world we live in where it's so easy to be negative rather than positive. Fam gets it and so does Marley Watkins. 

As for comparisons, well, I don't really think there can be a comparison. We paid £5.5M for Fam; Afobe's last transfer was £12M. 

Diedhiou toiled mostly on his own up front and I have often thought that was due to the midfield not being strong enough to play as a four. The key here is that I don't think he has ever been prolific in his career to date.

We have strengthened right across the team, better keeper, new defence (time will tell if we have sufficiently recovered from the loss of Lloyd Kelly & Adam Webster), upgraded the midfield and with Afobe, given ourselves more options up front. 

Afobe has played at a higher level and it shows. We are very fortunate to have intelligent players such as Weimann & Afobe and it's showing with improved results.

Afobe links well and gives us more options but that doesn't make Diedhiou a "5hit" player overnight. They all have a part to play.

A few years ago Mark Ashton stated that we would see a quicker turnover of players to help propel us to that next level. This blueprint is what we're seeing.

As a fan I was sad to see Pato, Pack & Taylor leave especially as Marlon has been synonymous with Bristol City but in their places we have Palmer, Nagy & Semenyo, the new Bristol City, and an improvement.

Archived