IGNORED

Famara Diedhiou... latest scapegoat.

Superjack

6 hours ago, Superjack said:

This guy works his bollocks off without any support or any player within twenty yards of him for over a year.

Then we sign Afobe. And Johnson immediately plays a striker alongside him.

I am sick and ****ing tired of the abuse he gets 

He has become my favourite player. Not because I can see what he brings to the table when other embarrassingly thick "supporters" can't.  

But because of the disgraceful, vitriolic and unjustified abuse he gets. And for what? Sacrificing his best game for the 'good' of a club under a manager's instructions.

I hope he gets a shedload 

Always said it and I stick by it, Diedhiou is not a solo striker, he's a great striker in a pairing but he just doesn't have the ability to carry a front line by himself. 

If Diedhiou is going to be played in a front two then he's a great asset but as a solo "complete forward" he's just not good enough. 

I think most of his criticism comes from fans who don't understand that he was our only choice in a 1 up top system and that's just not his game. 

When fammy and hunt is out of the team brownhill will get the stick,

its sad, it’s as if some of our fan base just have to have a player that “isn’t good enough”

take palmer yesterday 100% at fault for hull’s equaliser, yet people went out of the way to try and blame Tommy Rowe because Palmer is a cult hero despite giving the ball away  constantly,

fielding was targeted pack by some and now it’s fammy

Diedhiou is a trier and has scored important goals for us but he is limited with his qualities. His touch is poor, link up isn't up to the standard we want now, not much pace and never seems to have the ball under control. Afobe is much better all round and should he paired up front with Weimann. Diedhiou can do a job against certain teams but for the next level we want to be he's not good enough as Pack wasn't. 

Yesterday's "sitter" he missed wasn't really that easy to be fair by the way so shouldn't get any stick for that 

Diedhiou gets stick... hunt gets some... there are two bits to this imo... 1

1. Giving stick... fixed mindset but some. The decision is made that said player will not ever be good enough. Every opportunity to point out to others that this mindset is correct is taken. 

2. Having an opinion on ability... reasoned judgement that a player can be improved upon. That their strengths are not strong enough and the weaknesses outweigh them. 

My personal opinion... think both players I mentioned are very committed to the club. I never see any of them not giving everything.

Hunt... has some great games where he delivers outstanding crosses, I also think he is solid as a defender. The last game at home he miscontrolled about 5 balls to him and lost possesion which was frustrating. He gets caught out of position a lot but that is to be expected if he is to be playing high up the pitch.

Famara... always works hard... excellent defensively... even on Tuesday night at derby he was winning balls in and around our penalty area and helping the team. Its frustrating sometimes when he misses chances you think he would score. Important to remember he has been isolated up front. 

Afobe appears to have hit the ground running and may well be an 'upgrade' but let's remember we have been steadily building as a club for a few years now and starting to add more proven quality in a bid to hit the top spots in our league.

22 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

When fammy and hunt is out of the team brownhill will get the stick,

its sad, it’s as if some of our fan base just have to have a player that “isn’t good enough”

take palmer yesterday 100% at fault for hull’s equaliser, yet people went out of the way to try and blame Tommy Rowe because Palmer is a cult hero despite giving the ball away  constantly,

fielding was targeted pack by some and now it’s fammy

I thinks it's fine to not rate players. I don't think we would go up with those 3 players in our side. Its not like they're not decent championship players, but we need to keep improving.

Got to feel sorry for Fam, circumstances certainly seem to have conspired against him. 

Being a club record signing at the time elevated fans expectations, especially as it was inevitable he would be compared to Kodjia. 

Then the poor sod gets played up top on his own (personal bug bear of mine, especially at home) 

Hopefully, now that his transfer fee has been eclipsed the pressure may be relieved somewhat. 

It also seems that even LJ may have tired of playing with a lone striker (please God let this be true!). 

So, maybe, just maybe, circumstances are now conspiring in Fam's favour. 

7 hours ago, Superjack said:

This guy works his bollocks off without any support or any player within twenty yards of him for over a year.

He has become my favourite player. Not because I can see what he brings to the table when other embarrassingly thick "supporters" can't.  

But because of the disgraceful, vitriolic and unjustified abuse he gets. And for what? Sacrificing his best game for the 'good' of a club under a manager's instructions.

Thread posted at 3am over Bank Holiday weekend: checks out.

I like Fammy, always have and have always stuck up for him amongst some of my group who label him a donkey etc. 

Afobe was always a potentially excellent signing. Just needed confidence back. 

Fammy & Afobe as our front 2. Who’d have thought that a few seasons ago..?! I’m pretty sure that most teams in this division look at that front pair with a little bit of trepidation..! 

5 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Always said Fam works his bollocks off, the problem is the chances he misses, at this level is not good enough. 

Well it’s good enough to score 1 in 3 in this league which is a good record - depends what you mean by good enough. It won’t take you to the next level which is why Afobe is in - good backup though. 

7 hours ago, Superjack said:

Bottom line is a strikers role is to score goals which BA will and his all round attributes are excellent. Hopefully FAM will learn from him and come back stronger but he needs to learn to run the channels. 

I like Fammy, it was because of his goals that we finished where we did last season. Given a run in the side and he’s about a 20 goal a season striker which is pretty good at this level! He’s still young enough to improve on his weaknesses and you can tell he loves playing for our club. I think the bloke deserves a big cheer next time his name is announced whether starting or coming on as a sub!

Think the “scapegoat” claim is trotted out a bit too readily these days, and actually more often than not it’s a bit of a myth.

Most of the critical posts I read about Famara focus on his pretty obvious limitations and weaknesses as a player. The difference Afobe has made has rather proved the point. It’s undeniable that Famara does miss chances you might reasonably expect him to take, his first touch is often poor, and he doesn’t look likely to score 20 a season, which we probably need if we’re serious about promotion. That’s not to say he lacks effort or commitment, which he doesn’t, or that he doesn’t contribute anything to the team, which he does. I think the sensible majority would happily acknowledge that. None of the above makes him a “scapegoat”.

Frankly with the team in good form and 4th in the Championship, I’m not even sure anyone can be a scapegoat yet. A scapegoat is someone who gets blamed for failure, but we haven’t failed yet this season.

14 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What got me is the “idiots” (that’s what you are) who thought that he missed a “sitter” yesterday. The most negative poster I recognise on this forum called him a Calamity for missing that header.

If you want to see a sitter being missed check out Jordan Hugill`s for QPR yesterday, truly Rosenthal-esque.

8 hours ago, Superjack said:

Frequently he does not. That is an easy observation. His aerobic and anaerobic capacities? His recovery after anaerobic bursts?   

And he instantly empathises the above.

I can see what he brings to the table when other embarrassingly thick "supporters" can't.  

What is it that Famara adds to Bristol City's football? Which of his key skills fit the team need? 

As a child of the sixties and watching football through the seventies and eighties the abuse players get now is benign in comparison. Lame and tame. Criticism can for some individuals fire their challenge and fight mind sets.

Fans pay good money to watch their teams, care about their teams and in turn want players to do that 110%. Famara at Derby emphasised at half time as players left the pitch he is not a cockwomble as he congratulated enthusiastically players for their performance, but then underlined why he gets criticised by his performance on the pitch displaying trampoline feet, a disregard for possession,  nil defensive tactical intensity to press and get into shape as well as some good touches. That cameo could have been countless games over years for BCFC.

I wouldn't coat off a player shouting at him but would observe what  fans do what they have always done, only less aggressively with less hurty words now. Fans in the main are not thick and they are also not dispassionate robots.

Personally I would like to see fans display more passion towards their team not less,

34 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Well it’s good enough to score 1 in 3 in this league which is a good record - depends what you mean by good enough. It won’t take you to the next level which is why Afobe is in - good backup though. 

Forget the stats and use your eyes - he missed 20 sitters last season which isn’t good enough. We created more than enough chances last year 

Excellent start to the season. Bad luck with injuries but that’s football. I personally like famara. Ye he has his limitations but he always gives a 100 per cent and the centre back will know  hes been in a battle . He is certainly a confidence player. My mates don’t rate him but never abuse him and I haven’t heard people around me abuse him . Not to say it doesn’t happen. 

5 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Forget the stats and use your eyes - he missed 20 sitters last season which isn’t good enough. We created more than enough chances last year 

Absolute horse shit and you know it,

a good striker will get 1 in 3 which is what fammy does, if he was a 1 in 2 striker he’d be at Real Madrid not Bristol city

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

a good striker will get 1 in 3 which is what fammy does, if he was a 1 in 2 striker he’d be at Real Madrid not Bristol city

So he didn’t miss lots of chances last season? That’s bollocks and you know it or you don’t go. 

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Pretty sure a Championship striker getting 1 in 2 wouldn’t immediately be snapped up by Real Madrid.

Stats are not everything. 1 in 3 in a struggling team creating few chances might be a decent return. In a successful team creating many chances it could be poor. That context is crucial. Goals scored per chance is probably a better statistic.

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Pit of perspective. Lois Diony 9million to st etienne . FD Bristol City 5.2 million. 

Agree - hence we have upgraded. 

I like his work ethic, think he puts in a shift every game but i still think he misses too many easy chances. For what it’s worth yesterday’s wasn’t a miss it was unlucky 

1 minute ago, Rob k said:

Agree - hence we have upgraded. 

I like his work ethic, think he puts in a shift every game but i still think he misses too many easy chances. For what it’s worth yesterday’s wasn’t a miss it was unlucky 

I can definitely see why people would be frustrated by him . But he is also valuable in the defensive side of things . We have a good strike force at the moment who all offer different options 

19 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I watched home and away - he was very good away. At home they lumped it up to him which isn’t his game. 

He isn’t the most clinical but the goals prove he is at worst an average striker at this level. 

6 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I watched home and away - he was very good away. At home they lumped it up to him which isn’t his game. 

He isn’t the most clinical but the goals prove he is at worst an average striker at this level. 

Absolutely agree with that 

As said i don’t dislike him but to move to the next level for me we had to upgrade in that department and i think we have 

Archived