IGNORED

Anyone else satisfied we got Afobe and not Nketia?

CiderCraig

It's been an excellent start by Benik. Nketia has barely had a look in since choosing Northern Spymasters United, but has found the net a couple of times. 

I guess we'll never know how he would've done for us, but personally I am pleased with Afobe, clearly fitted in well (and quickly, which is important) and is already showing signs of the player who was out of our reach just a few short years ago. 

Onwards and upwards, City, and likewise Benik Afobe. 

I don't think it's quite so simple. I think Nketiah would score 20+ in this team amd we still need someone in that mould at this club. 

Saying that, Afobe's doing really well and we might just resurrect the career of a handful up front.

29 minutes ago, CiderCraig said:

It's been an excellent start by Benik. Nketia has barely had a look in since choosing Northern Spymasters United, but has found the net a couple of times. 

I guess we'll never know how he would've done for us, but personally I am pleased with Afobe, clearly fitted in well (and quickly, which is important) and is already showing signs of the player who was out of our reach just a few short years ago. 

Onwards and upwards, City, and likewise Benik Afobe. 

Difficult to say really. Nketiah is a real talent, and he may have done just as well or even better.

What's perhaps more useful about Afobe is that he's proven at this level, and even though he's just 26 years old, is more experienced at a higher level than many of our fairly young squad. 

It seemed pretty obvious to me that if he was settled, fit and had a team who played to his strengths - he'd get us goals. He had none of this at Stoke. 

I think Nketiah will also have a good season, but maybe for where we are as a club, Afobe may turn out to be a better option ultimately. 

20 minutes ago, mozo said:

I don't think it's quite so simple. I think Nketiah would score 20+ in this team amd we still need someone in that mould at this club. 

Saying that, Afobe's doing really well and we might just resurrect the career of a handful up front.

It’s one of those “we’ll never know” things.

FFIW, I always had a worry about how we’d fit Eddie in...as it looked like we’d set up 4231, with Fam up top.  On that basis, until Webster’s sale freed up other recruitment options, and injuries sort of enforced a 5212, I couldn’t see life without Fam up top, even if I thought Weimann deserved minutes there instead.  Where would Eddie have played?  Wide?

As it’s happened the 5212 might well have accommodated Nketiah in the 2, and you could see Palmer liking his movement.  But...

...I think it would’ve been Diedhiou and Nketiah, not Nketiah and Weimann, as it is with Afobe and Weimann....both excellent movement, and with Weimann especially, you get fantastic energy.

So, ifs, buts and maybes.

At 16:55 on deadline day and news of Afobe on loan, I was very happy.  This was a £12m (virtually) proven front-man one year earlier.

As the deal materialised and we found out it was 12 months loan, with an option to buy, it sounded even better.  Kids intel that the purchase price is very favourable makes it sound even better.

Add to that Benik’s attitude to being here, better again.

Add to that, 3 goals in 4 starts, better again.

And finally, a player that suits Weimann....and Palmer, and it’s a brilliant piece of recruitment.

Eddie might get 20+ for Leeds....but no guarantees with us.

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

No, but you’d expect it to be around the £10-12million that Stoke paid - if we want to keep him. 

I’d be surprised - he wants out , Stoke want him off the wages , and he will only have. A year left on his contract

Got to remember he’s not valued now or in 9 months his value agreed would have been in the window when Stoke were happy to ship him out

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d be surprised - he wants out , Stoke want him off the wages , and he will only have. A year left on his contract

Got to remember he’s not valued now or in 9 months his value agreed would have been in the window when Stoke were happy to ship him out

True and hopefully that means we bag a bargain! 

Imagine how sick they’d feel if he bangs in 20+ goals for us and they’d already agreed to ship him out for £5million ??

54 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Think we got the better player.

Knows his way around this level.

Better option playing up on his own also. Physically he’s better suited to our style and has a very good record at this level 

Nketiah whilst a very good young player is probably better in an attacking 3 and has yet to prove himself at this level

Im glad we have Afobe

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

True and hopefully that means we bag a bargain! 

Imagine how sick they’d feel if he bangs in 20+ goals for us and they’d already agreed to ship him out for £5million ??

Ironically they’ve replaced him with Hogan (Not sure if it’s with an option , or even commitment ,to buy ) on , Id hazzard  a Guess, similar wages 

They have Vokes there (Well on the bench !) So Maybe saw Hogan as a better option

I quite like Hogan, but Afobes all round game much better IMHO and just what we needed

I honestly think we would have signed both if we could.

We were constantly linked with more than one type of striker. Whilst Afobe isn’t a full on target man, he does give some physicality that the likes of Moore and Hugill would have given.

Very happy with Afobe. Having seen a bit of Nketiah I think he's real quality. Maybe learning the Leeds way of playing before getting starts. Was gutted when we didn't get him, but delighted with number 2 on the list.

17 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ironically they’ve replaced him with Hogan (Not sure if it’s with an option , or even commitment ,to buy ) on , Id hazzard  a Guess, similar wages 

They have Vokes there (Well on the bench !) So Maybe saw Hogan as a better option

I quite like Hogan, but Afobes all round game much better IMHO and just what we needed

I agree. I’ve always rated Hogan, but that’s based on what I’ve seen against us. 

Take away his goals against us from his stats and he’s probably more on par with Matty Taylor..! ?

Archived