IGNORED

Anyone else satisfied we got Afobe and not Nketia?

CiderCraig

42 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d be surprised - he wants out , Stoke want him off the wages , and he will only have. A year left on his contract

Got to remember he’s not valued now or in 9 months his value agreed would have been in the window when Stoke were happy to ship him out

...and we’ve paid a loan fee.  Wouldn’t surprise me if that was £2m....and then his wages of £1m too.  Suspect that works in our favour too.  Wouldn’t surprise me if £3-4m fee.

I said when the Afobe deal was announced that I would have been happy with his signing as a priority target.

Proven goals at this level, great age, physical presence and a cool finisher.

What’s not to like?

1 hour ago, CiderCraig said:

It's been an excellent start by Benik. Nketia has barely had a look in since choosing Northern Spymasters United, but has found the net a couple of times. 

I guess we'll never know how he would've done for us, but personally I am pleased with Afobe, clearly fitted in well (and quickly, which is important) and is already showing signs of the player who was out of our reach just a few short years ago. 

Onwards and upwards, City, and likewise Benik Afobe. 

I'm glad we got Benik but I am wishing that we had kept hold of Mo Eisa a well.

As for Nketia he decided not to come here so I don't care.

If the answer has to be a plain yes or no

I'm going yes.

Looks real quality and just as importantly he has the right character and mentality to be at BCFC right now (would Nketiah, who knows?)

To be honest, like others have said, I couldn't give a shit about that other bloke now

Yes, I’m happy with how it turned out. I’ve never seen Nkethiah play and know little about him. Might have been brilliant for us, but inexperienced and a bit of an unknown quantity. 

So far Afobe has really impressed me and is a proven Championship striker, which is what we’ve been crying out for. 

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

The fact that Nketiah didn't have the courtesy to let us know he wasn't coming down for the medical suggests something about his character. No problems with Afobe's attitude so to that extent perhaps we got the right outcome.

I’m guessing that’s really unfair. Is there any evidence that he had agreed to come to us at that point? I doubt it. I got the impression we arranged for a medical in the hope that he’d choose us. I don’t think he said he’d come then pulled out of an agreed medical.

Secondly, it’s not clear whether he or Arsenal made the ultimate decision where he would go. More likely Arsenal.

Thirdly, it seems unlikely that a teenager at Arsenal makes the arrangements in a deal like this. Either Arsenal or his representatives do. Even if we should have been advised (which I’d doubt) then any poor character would not have been from the player himself.

In short, however disappointed we may feel, questioning Nketiah’s character is just sour grapes, I’m afraid.

What pleases me the most about this situation is Nketia was supposedly sent to Leeds for development and game time. So far it’s not looking like this is going to happen so he might as well stayed at Arsenal.  

The way we were treated in all this makes me hope that it turns out a bad move for both Arsenal and the player. 

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

I’m guessing that’s really unfair. Is there any evidence that he had agreed to come to us at that point? I doubt it. I got the impression we arranged for a medical in the hope that he’d choose us. I don’t think he said he’d come then pulled out of an agreed medical.

Secondly, it’s not clear whether he or Arsenal made the ultimate decision where he would go. More likely Arsenal.

Thirdly, it seems unlikely that a teenager at Arsenal makes the arrangements in a deal like this. Either Arsenal or his representatives do. Even if we should have been advised (which I’d doubt) then any poor character would not have been from the player himself.

In short, however disappointed we may feel, questioning Nketiah’s character is just sour grapes, I’m afraid.

Can’t understand this fascination with a player that has never played for us. We will probably never know who was at fault for not managing to complete the loan, but we need to move on. Not who got the better deal , but support those we did get and don’t keep thinking of them as 2nd choice. Don’t keep looking at the Leeds squad and whether Nketiah is playing or on the bench.  He’s not our player and has no influence on the Bristol City team.

Happy that we have invested the time and money in Afobe with a chance of him becoming a City signing and us potentially benefiting from him in the future. I know we need to score the goals but it doesn't sit right with me to be paying a fortune loaning in one season wonders who are never going to join us.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Difficult to say really. Nketiah is a real talent, and he may have done just as well or even better.

What's perhaps more useful about Afobe is that he's proven at this level, and even though he's just 26 years old, is more experienced at a higher level than many of our fairly young squad. 

It seemed pretty obvious to me that if he was settled, fit and had a team who played to his strengths - he'd get us goals. He had none of this at Stoke. 

I think Nketiah will also have a good season, but maybe for where we are as a club, Afobe may turn out to be a better option ultimately. 

My opinions are the same.

24 minutes ago, Redandwhitescarf said:

Can’t understand this fascination with a player that has never played for us. We will probably never know who was at fault for not managing to complete the loan, but we need to move on. Not who got the better deal , but support those we did get and don’t keep thinking of them as 2nd choice. Don’t keep looking at the Leeds squad and whether Nketiah is playing or on the bench.  He’s not our player and has no influence on the Bristol City team.

But life is full of "if only's" and "what if's"

The second choice can be relied upon to be a good choice in so many situations.

We have Afobe for the season and so far, so good. Nketieh is history.

Love everyone acting like afobe was some diseased leppa.

he has had a strong career where he’s had a tremendously odd 2 years where all sorts of clauses have seen him shoved pillar to post - and he’s only 26

Has all the attributes to succeed (again) in the championship, a great signing

Really happy we ended up with Afobe. I said at the time, when fit & confident, I believe him to be what I would call a proper striker. Can come short, can go in behind, works the channels well & his finishing reminds me of Defoe in the way that he seems to be able to get the shot off early. Am sure if he stays fit, we have found our 20+ goals forward we have been craving for. Eddie who? COYR 

18 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

he has had a strong career where he’s had a tremendously odd 2 years where all sorts of clauses have seen him shoved pillar to post - and he’s only 26

With our luck with injuries, a bout of leprosy would come as no surprise...

It’s not just about individuals, but more about partnerships. Afobe works well with Wieman, whose work rate and chasing down is a valuable underrated part of the team performance. Nobody know how Nketia would have fitted into the team because, obviously, he’s not here. 

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

100% the player.

That's literally the reason LJ went to meet Tammy and his parents before he joined. To show the player that Bristol City was the right club for him to go to. If it wasn't Tammy's decision there would have been absolutely no point in doing it.

Personally Stoke City have been a shambles since their relegation from the premier league and Benik maybe just didn’t suit Stokes style of play or vice versa. In Bristol City he has signed for a very good footballing side as his best years were with Wolves and Bournemouth who also play a nice brand of football. Afobe needed City as much and we needed Afobe 

51 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

100% the player.

That's literally the reason LJ went to meet Tammy and his parents before he joined. To show the player that Bristol City was the right club for him to go to. If it wasn't Tammy's decision there would have been absolutely no point in doing it.

So why do you suppose the bidding clubs had to make corporate presentations to Arsenal?

55 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

100% the player.

Different scenario and I don’t know how you can be so sure.

1 hour ago, Fjmcity said:

It's because lots of football fans in the reactionary and don't consider the whole context. Perhaps the disappointment and stress of the Nketiah situation also led to the negative overreaction when he joined.

If you look at the context of Afobe's career - it was pretty obvious he'd just had a couple of bad moves and needed to get his career back on track. He's a proven goalscorer in this league.

So far so good, very pleased with how he’s started, Afobe will score plenty in a footballing side, Stoke were not that so didn’t listen to their fans or some of our own saying how poor he was or his record is shit etc. Long may it continue.

Archived