IGNORED

Anyone else satisfied we got Afobe and not Nketia?

CiderCraig

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks said:

Rather have Eddy and Afobe and lose Fammy

Wouldn't you just. At least Fam is a passionate and honest player, wanting what's best for the team and giving his best for BCFC.

Why is it so hard to get behind ALL our players, especially when things are going so well?

I wouldn't have thought that was hard.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's because lots of football fans in the reactionary and don't consider the whole context. Perhaps the disappointment and stress of the Nketiah situation also led to the negative overreaction when he joined.

If you look at the context of Afobe's career - it was pretty obvious he'd just had a couple of bad moves and needed to get his career back on track. He's a proven goalscorer in this league.

Just one bad move I'd say. Stoke.

Did well on loan on his return to Wolves, his first 2 seasons at Bournemouth had once sub's/starts and assists factored in not so terrible- my Bournemouth mate would have sooner kept him over Grabban as a rotation option.

Clearly a good signing for us though, suits the style, good age and knows the League.

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

It’s not just about individuals, but more about partnerships. Afobe works well with Wieman, whose work rate and chasing down is a valuable underrated part of the team performance. Nobody know how Nketia would have fitted into the team because, obviously, he’s not here. 

On pure numbers and before we even get onto the chemistry, workrate, understanding.

Already in just 4 games it reads Afobe G A Weimann twice. That's a very positive start and bodes well moving forward.

Afobe also clearly wants to be here. Pretty happy we have him- perhaps if we go up, a Nketiah loan come summer 2020- if we'd have him back of course. ;)

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's because lots of football fans in the reactionary and don't consider the whole context. Perhaps the disappointment and stress of the Nketiah situation also led to the negative overreaction when he joined.

If you look at the context of Afobe's career - it was pretty obvious he'd just had a couple of bad moves and needed to get his career back on track. He's a proven goalscorer in this league.

This was my feeling! After being Linked with Nketiah for so long and then seeing him score in Arsenal’s pre season, Afobe seemed like a slight disappointment.

Although I did say when Afobe was announced, it depends which Afobe turns up, so far he’s been class. 

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

So that Arsenal would accept the loan offer for the player.

Arsenal will accept offers, the final destination  is the choice of the player.

LJ presented to a panel which included EN. The panel will have made a joint decision on the outcome of the presentations. This is a standard process for decision making in business. 

Have we established yet if Afobe was the proven number 9 that Ashton was on about all along or actually a deadline day panic throw of the dice?

If one of the genuine planning options was actually Afobe & Nketiah then fair play to our club for the ambition & for so nearly pulling it off.

As it is Afobe on his own is a huge step up in class / ability and others teams will already be taking notice.

9 hours ago, Nibor said:

Pleased when we signed him and even more so now.  He's a proper striker, you can tell that just by watching his movement.  I would like to see more of him in front of a midfield with Nagy, Palmer and Massengo in. 

That won't happen with Brownhill captain. Han-Noah will drop back to the bench when Nagy returns.

Yep.

Unlike many I was delighted with the acquisition of Afobe when it happened. The guy scores goals. It was obvious to anyone that really looked that the reason last season he struggled was because Stoke are dogshit. There is something very wrong with that club atm.

It is obvious he wasn't first choice with the timing of the signing, but I have always been positive towards the purchase because I know he is a goalscorer.

IMO this is exactly what we need. 

6 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

You're right Dave, Johnson  only went to Tammy's because he fancied a cup of tea and a natter.

Surely you need to sell it to both the player , and the club James

If the club doesn’t want him to come,  or the player himself doesn’t,    Id suggest you’d do well to get him 

Yes, I'm happy with Benik. I'm no football expert but I had reservations about playing an untested (at Championship level) player in a team that is not known for it's consistency, and with a lot of new players. Perhaps he might have worked in the new system? But when I heard that Benik was joining us, I thought he was a better 'team' fit and was probably the kind of striker we needed at this time. He seems a decent chap too!

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Surely you need to sell it to both the player , and the club James

If the club doesn’t want him to come,  or the player himself doesn’t,    Id suggest you’d do well to get him 

I haven't said it's one at the expense of the other, at any point.

The club will accept offers they deem suitable, the player will choose out of the accepted offers.

18 hours ago, Henry said:

I honestly think we would have signed both if we could.

We were constantly linked with more than one type of striker. Whilst Afobe isn’t a full on target man, he does give some physicality that the likes of Moore and Hugill would have given.

Agreed. Afobe was badly needed but I think we are still light in that area. All it takes is an injury to afobe, fam or weimann and we will be in trouble  

6 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

You're right Dave, Johnson  only went to Tammy's because he fancied a cup of tea and a natter.

Obviously we would talk to the player and his representatives/family as part of the process. That doesn’t in any way prove your assertion that he had the final say.

13 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Love that analogy pissing myself. 

12 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Dare I say, Hollowayesque?  :laugh:

Some of those "snogs" turn out not so bad after all

It’s more like settling for a snog with the last remaining fat bird, then her taking you home for a threesome with her really fit best mate..! 

I’m shocked at Arsenal to be honest the whole point of him going out on loan was to develop EN and give him starts he would have had that with Bristol City. If I was in charge of the loans I would have said go to City or stay and fight for your place after chasing him all summer long I thought Arsenal showed a lack of class and I would refrain in doing any business with them in the future.

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just one bad move I'd say. Stoke.

Did well on loan on his return to Wolves, his first 2 seasons at Bournemouth had once sub's/starts and assists factored in not so terrible- my Bournemouth mate would have sooner kept him over Grabban as a rotation option.

Clearly a good signing for us though, suits the style, good age and knows the League.

Yeah agreed, perhaps if being really picky about it the Bournemouth move was a year or two too soon - but can completely see why he went for it. Probably made him a much cleverer player.

It's pretty clear i'm a huge fan - and I'm delighted we got him. I really wanted us to try and get him the season he was doing well at MK Dons, but Wolves pipped us to the post understandably. 

55 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I haven't said it's one at the expense of the other, at any point.

The club will accept offers they deem suitable, the player will choose out of the accepted offers.

But, again, that’s you guessing that’s the decision making process for both Tammy and Eddie. If you said “I reckon it’s the player’s choice”, I’d have no issue. But you are making it sound like FACT. 

18 hours ago, Offside said:

Yes, I’m happy with how it turned out. I’ve never seen Nkethiah play and know little about him. Might have been brilliant for us, but inexperienced and a bit of an unknown quantity. 

So far Afobe has really impressed me and is a proven Championship striker, which is what we’ve been crying out for. 

Nkethiah is class he's a prem player he has it all and another year or 2 he will lead the line for Arsenal. He's a natural goal scorer. Afobe also has experienced of this league and prem so overall I think his experience will be the better fit long term.

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

Obviously we would talk to the player and his representatives/family as part of the process. That doesn’t in any way prove your assertion that he had the final say.

Ah, so Tammy lied when he said it was a factor in him joining us.

Obviously you know better than the player who actually came here on loan.

Archived