IGNORED

Do City players only train two hours a day ?

Major Isewater

They will have a lot of rest. Quite often you see our players on social media wearing recovery sleeves on their legs.

The intensity of training will vary depending on how many games are coming up and general fatigue of the squad.

You're right that they'll have other things to do besides training - analysis, team meetings, strength and conditioning. "Training" encompasses all of that, not just ball work or tactics. 

At a guess, I would imagine training (including all of that) might take the players more like 3/4 hours on a normal training day. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

It has often been said that pro footballers only train two hours a day and have nothing to do in the afternoons , is this still the case in this day and age or do they then have individual coaching or time spent with analysts ? 

Yes. Frequently in groups as units e.g defensive shape. And sessions based on specific fitness and related targets.  

59 minutes ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

Is it still snooker then the bookies in the afternoon?

Those were the days, in my case early 70's you could pretty much guarantee that half the Arsenal first team were in the club above Burtons on a Wednesday afternoon. Peter Marinello (the next George Best ) pretty much lived in there and would often help out serving customers.

On away trips to the Midlands the team coach would always drop the players off at a local pub for a couple of swift halves .

Times have certainly changed

I imagine footballers do a lot more than just 2 hours. They will be working in the gym, recovery sessions with the fitness and medical team, studying tactics and players of the opposition team ready for the next game. Furthermore, if they are that dedicated, will be looking to improve their game during their own time. 

10 minutes ago, Redpool said:

I imagine footballers do a lot more than just 2 hours. They will be working in the gym, recovery sessions with the fitness and medical team, studying tactics and players of the opposition team ready for the next game. Furthermore, if they are that dedicated, will be looking to improve their game during their own time. 

I always thought it was around 3 or 4 hours with an hour of pitch work included in that,

19 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I always thought it was around 3 or 4 hours with an hour of pitch work included in that,

That's what I would say. On average, I imagine they spend around 4.5-5 hours a day doing their job. Obviously some more than others will do more to improve where they can.

I've spotted a few out shopping after about 1pm, but they do have a fair bit of spare time and loads of money burning holes in their pockets. That's why some go off the rails, but most are pretty sensible.

It was always the case that players often go out for a few beers on a Sunday lunchtime, having played on Saturday.  Most obviously don't go out on a Friday night (which they spend relaxing with their families, watching TV or playing computer games.  They usually have an early night so as they are fresh on a Saturday (well most of them).

Archived