IGNORED

Tommy Rowe

JakeOTIB

It would be all too easy for him to play the LWB / LB role cautiously, yet we’ve seen him:

- bomb past his marker for the goal v Brum

- in the middle of a melee at home to QPR

- brought down for penalty in the 6 yard box v Hull, as well as being a constant advanced outlet for Taylor Moore passes too

Of course he’s gonna struggle when faced up to a tricky winger, but I would say the past 3 games, since QPR at home, we’ve worked better as a team to not get him isolated.  Bowen didn’t really cause him that uncomfortable an afternoon on Saturday.

4 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

pound for pound the best summer signing of them all. Dasilva won't walk straight back in

Disagree, but very fortunate signing none the less.

I’m actually surprised how strong he is, going forward, 1 on 1. Several times he’s taken his man on near the oppositions box and got around them, against QPR & Derby he tricked his way past a defender & got in to dangerous positions in the box.

@Davefevs beat me to it by seconds, with much more detail.

I said at the time, this signing reminds me of the Alex Russell signing. He is a good player/pro who is comfortable on the ball & can cover a few positions. He also knows how to look after himself & when to commit a foul. Only slight worry is yellow cards. Has he got 3 now? Could do without a ban for him anytime soon. COYR 

19 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

I said at the time, this signing reminds me of the Alex Russell signing. He is a good player/pro who is comfortable on the ball & can cover a few positions. He also knows how to look after himself & when to commit a foul. Only slight worry is yellow cards. Has he got 3 now? Could do without a ban for him anytime soon. COYR 

Rowe has 1 yellow....the one on Saturday.

Palmer has 3 though.

I think that in the scenario where Jay wasn’t injured and Nagy was, Rowe would be playing CM with Brownhill where I think he’d be even more impressive in his natural position.

I think LJ would have shielded Massengo more had the above happened.

We have great options!

1 minute ago, JakeOTIB said:

Another goal for Rowe today. Jay Dasilva’s gotta work hard to get back in the side when fit again.

Dasilva bound to get back in imo. Not even close the levels between the 2. Thought Rowe had his best game I've seen. But will be interesting to see 1st goal back. Was he a bit slow? 

Interesting that once O'Dowda moved the left back, Boro concentrated on our right side. O'Dowda looked comfortable I thought at left back.

1 hour ago, JakeOTIB said:

Another goal for Rowe today. Jay Dasilva’s gotta work hard to get back in the side when fit again.

JD a far superior left back. I think Rowe has improved a lot in LB as he has learned his role but really lacks pace.

Unfortunately it means he stands off his man for fear of getting beaten and results in us conceding a lot of crosses in from his side. All first half they were targeting his side as it was so easy to get a cross in and it was no surprise when the ball came in from there for the first goal. 

Fair play to him for standing in manfully but it’s a real shame we’re missing Jay for the next 4-5 months. Also because Dasilva would have linked up with the technical play of Kasey, Nagy and Massengo beautifully. ?

Rowe is clearly not a left back, and a back 4 doesn’t suit him, but much like Joe Bryan previously, he is a good enough all round player to be able to slot in at left wing back. He is clearly a midfielder who likes to get forward and 2 goals in 6 games, plus getting the penalty award at Hull, is a great return. In the second half, the ball he got from Weimann, then played at speed back towards Weimann in the box, deserved a touch on it and a goal. And when called upon to replace Massengo, he looked fine in central midfield.

As free transfers go, he might not quite be Pukki, but I would suggest that LJ is currently counting his lucky stars that he picked him up for nothing.

Archived