IGNORED

U23 game @ AG, 1pm Tuesday

CTRed

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This line-up proves the squad is bloated at the moment. Should not have that many senior players starting an under 23s game. 

Last season we were fielding more like an under 20s team.

Johnson is petrified of academy players

1 minute ago, Shtanley said:

We normally never find out as he'd rather play players through bad form or buy squad players from other clubs.

I think that's a bit harsh. There were days, not that long ago, where our young players barely got a look-in. Kelly, Moore, MOL (albeit through gritted teeth), Semenyo, Vyner, have all had a look-in over the past couple of years.

He's not the new Brian Tinnion, he could do more, but he's not that bad.

3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

We normally never find out as he'd rather play players through bad form or buy squad players from other clubs.

O'Leary, Kelly, Morrell, Semenyo etc.

He does play them. But they need to be good enough. 

5 minutes ago, Selred said:

O'Leary, Kelly, Morrell, Semenyo etc.

He does play them. But they need to be good enough. 

O'Leary he immediately dropped for a shite Kiwi keeper from nowhere. He had zero confidence in him.

Kelly played 32 games last season, was clearly good enough. That's a fair one.

Morrell didn't get a sniff, only played vs Ipswich because Walsh got injured. He only played in the 3 cup games, Pack was playing the worst football of his City career yet still racked up 46 games. Never even thought about dropping him.

Semenyo played 4 times last season, Matty Taylor played 33 times. 

I'll die on this hill but I really don't think he likes using our academy players unless forced due to injury. Any other well run club would give their fringe squad places to the youngsters. 

Johnson would rather have a bloated squad of players on medium wages rather than having to play youngsters occasionally.

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

3-1

Great edge of box interplay from HA , SS and finished by NE

The BCFC twitter feed of the same goal “Szmodics picks up possession on the edge of the six-yard box and tries to lay it off to Adelakun. In a crowded area, the ball bobbles through to Eliasson, who finishes from a yard”.

Are you wearing rose-tinters, Bob?

4 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

O'Leary he immediately dropped for a shite Kiwi keeper from nowhere. He had zero confidence in him.

Kelly played 32 games last season, was clearly good enough. That's a fair one.

Morrell didn't get a sniff, only played vs Ipswich because Walsh got injured. He only played in the 3 cup games, Pack was playing the worst football of his City career yet still racked up 46 games. Never even thought about dropping him.

Semenyo played 4 times last season, Matty Taylor played 33 times. 

I'll die on this hill but I really don't think he likes using our academy players unless forced due to injury. Any other well run club would give their fringe squad places to the youngsters. 

Johnson would rather have a bloated squad of players on medium wages rather than having to play youngsters occasionally.

The whole idea of the club atructure currently is to develop youngsters from either the academy or other academies and sell them off for big money. 

Hence why the likes of kelly, Reid and Bryan have gone for big money having come through the academy.

Can you name any other championship club who have sold 3 academy players for 31 million in the past 2 summer windows?

4 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

The BCFC twitter feed of the same goal “Szmodics picks up possession on the edge of the six-yard box and tries to lay it off to Adelakun. In a crowded area, the ball bobbles through to Eliasson, who finishes from a yard”.

:laughcont:

The initial interplay was great

The bobble bit is true though !

I have often thought that if LJ had a 17 year old Wayne Rooney in his academy, would he play him in the first team? Everton did. 

I think now that LJ would. He is playing an 18 year old albeit from Monaco. As others are suggesting, if they reach his perceived standard of championship football, they will play for BCFC.

We have up and coming City players currently on loan. They too, could do a Taylor Moore next season, who took his opportunity through someone else's injury, and play in the first team. TM is in the first eleven and not to just make up the numbers.

8 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

The whole idea of the club atructure currently is to develop youngsters from either the academy or other academies and sell them off for big money. 

Hence why the likes of kelly, Reid and Bryan have gone for big money having come through the academy.

Can you name any other championship club who have sold 3 academy players for 31 million in the past 2 summer windows?

I think the club is doing a great job with outgoings and making money from selling players. (From our academy or from other clubs), Leeds selling Clarke and almost selling Phillips closest to that £31m you put out. Charlton probably sold more better players but not for the same amount.

But I think he should be playing more of our youngsters. Our squad is in my opinion too big.

Currently we have 1 academy player in our squad. Semenyo. That for me isn't good enough for a club that bigs up the academy and pathway a lot. 

I'm gonna stop as don't want to derail the thread. I hear Semenyo just smashed one in.

5 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

I have often thought that if LJ had a 17 year old Wayne Rooney in his academy, would he play him in the first team? Everton did. 

I think now that LJ would. He is playing an 18 year old albeit from Monaco. As others are suggesting, if they reach his perceived standard of championship football, they will play for BCFC.

We have up and coming City players currently on loan. They too, could do a Taylor Moore next season, who took his opportunity through someone else's injury, and play in the first team. TM is in the first eleven and not to just make up the numbers.

I do sympathise with LJ a little. His remit is to get to the Premier League but also to blood talent. It's a difficult balancing act when young players by their nature will make mistakes, but mistakes can cost crucial points on the board. Tricky. 

29 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

No in fact he is under playing it. The yard Elliason finished from is someone's backyard in Duckmoor Road!

22 minutes ago, mozo said:

I do sympathise with LJ a little. His remit is to get to the Premier League but also to blood talent. It's a difficult balancing act when young players by their nature will make mistakes, but mistakes can cost crucial points on the board. Tricky. 

Incredibly difficult balancing act @mozo , totally agree.
To give a "youngster" a start in front of an established first team player, then for him to cost us the game or even a goal, LJ and the player would get pelters. Various injuries have possibly forced decisions but.... he had those players in , and around the first team leading up to getting their chance. He brings youth players in to travel with the first team well before they would be ready, but it gets them used to what is expected. It's not like Vyner , Kelly even  Dowling and Morrell , had just been plucked from the junior side for their debuts. 

To balance wins, development and the books is an almost impossible job. At the moment we are doing reasonably well.

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Harrison and Rees replace PP & AW

Hopefully both in contention for starts on Saturday now. 

Sounds like the team has performed something like you would expect from a bunch of players all pushing for first team minutes. 

Archived