IGNORED

U23 game @ AG, 1pm Tuesday

CTRed

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It’s a problem as when you consider how many injuries we have atm and then look at that side today that’s a lot of players for the young ones to push past 

Plus , Ideally our fringe players need to be playing against fringe players of a similar standard or better 

Its difficult one for sure

A Championship reserve league would be an answer 

Or a more flexible loan system for u23s (or whatever age deemed appropriate).  Keep half/full season loans for over 23s.

7 hours ago, Shtanley said:

O'Leary he immediately dropped for a shite Kiwi keeper from nowhere. He had zero confidence in him.

Kelly played 32 games last season, was clearly good enough. That's a fair one.

Morrell didn't get a sniff, only played vs Ipswich because Walsh got injured. He only played in the 3 cup games, Pack was playing the worst football of his City career yet still racked up 46 games. Never even thought about dropping him.

Semenyo played 4 times last season, Matty Taylor played 33 times. 

I'll die on this hill but I really don't think he likes using our academy players unless forced due to injury. Any other well run club would give their fringe squad places to the youngsters. 

Johnson would rather have a bloated squad of players on medium wages rather than having to play youngsters occasionally.

Agreed. In an ideal world we’d have a strong 13-15 players and youth would fill another 8-10 spots. Youth I count Semenyo, Szmodics, Bakinson, Walsh etc. They are all around and have played for our first team but can’t get a but more consistency for us.

Walsh and Semenyo end of last season was very baffling. Clearly have bright futures yet we kept counting on Taylor to provide a spark from the bench and kept flogging Pack and Brownhill. And the experience didn’t exactly get us over the line(playoffs). Now maybe we finished 8th instead of 10th. No one knows but what we do know is Taylor and Pack are no longer here and those players have less experience than they should have. 

4 minutes ago, WesM said:

If we HAD to.....then yes. 100% comfortable.

Would I CHOOSE to....probably not. I’d want another run out under his belt. As mentioned above, there is a gargantuan gap in class and speed from today’s offering to a championship game.

Ta.  Possibly start 4 at the back then....with Williams on bench if we want to swap to a 5.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What was your thoughts on / impression of  Ashley Williams,  Redtucks ?

I thought he looked very assured and in command, even if only playing at half pace.

He appeared to be in control of the defence with Baldwin and Soady benefiting from his authority and experience.

I was also impressed with the pin-point accuracy of a few of his long cross field passes.

It will be interesting to see how he fits into a Championship game at twice the pace.

I would hope, however, that his vast experience would compensate for any lack of pace.

Overall I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll be a worthwile addition.

1 minute ago, Redtucks said:

I thought he looked very assured and in command, even if only playing at half pace.

He appeared to be in control of the defence with Baldwin and Soady benefiting from his authority and experience.

I was also impressed with the pin-point accuracy of a few of his long cross field passes.

It will be interesting to see how he fits into a Championship game at twice the pace.

I would hope, however, that his vast experience would compensate for any lack of pace.

Overall I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll be a worthwile addition.

Thanks for your thoughts

Agree with all you’ve highlighted and

Yep - Without doubt 

I do think there are times LJ has given youth a go and it's cost us points. It's difficult for him to make those gambles. 

But I do think now we have a very good side, it is easier for youth to come in and play well. Unlike when Vyner played right back against Brighton. We were a poor side, against a very good side. Murray on the left for them was being fed to ball so often.

It makes such a difference for a youth player coming into a side that is stronger than it's opponents. I look at the teams in this league compared to ours, and although it's still early days, I fancy us against most except a few.

Alex Ferguson used to play youth players that were not often of the required Man U quality. But being the better side, they still got results. And it's surprising how those young players often come in and do a reliable job. 

Had we kept Cam Pring, it would not have surprised me if he had come in and done a good job at left wing back. Better than job than Rowe? Well he has pace and can run with the ball. Wing back is Pring's position. I would have liked LJ to have tried it.

I'm surprised we loaned out Vyner. By the end of last season he apparently had the likes of Hernandez of Norwich and Luke Freeman (now both prem players) in his back pocket.

The 3 at the back could have been ideal for him to come in with the injuries we have now. Baker in the centre and Moore wide left, Vyner wide right of a three. Moore being right footed not a problem at all, often played left for Southend, maybe even better that side like Webster was.

I'm glad we loaned out Max. Ok last season that one game to go with Marinovic was a poor decision, though he didn't actually do anything that led to us conceding. O'Leary just didn't look quite ready for this level. A loan for a season in league one, 40 odd games, he will be more polished and confident coming back.

Walsh is a tricky one. He isn't ready yet, but we would be a bit light if we loan him out. If Korey was back fit then I'd definitely loan him to league one. He needs games. I wonder whether he can be included on the bench more often than he is. He so far has seemed to be more effective coming off the bench. It might only be 20 minutes at a time, but keep impressing off the bench and it may give LJ something to think about.

I have no worries about Semenyo's game minutes so far. He is 19, and has a handful of appearances already. He seems to have been improving at a rapid rate. From Bath sub to too good for Newport within 12 months. Against a tired side in the last 20, he can be a very effective sub coming on. Build up his minutes that way for now I reckon for now. Would not surprise me if LJ gives him a fair amount of starts too.

5 hours ago, Colemanballs said:

What a pleasure it was to wake up to this informative thread with its civil debate. It made the distance between me and Ashton Gate seem just that little bit closer than the actual 5,600 plus miles. Thanks to all and more of the same please. 

Seconded. Although only about 180ish miles!!

Thanks to everyone who was there yesterday for reporting back. Does anybody see the reserves regularly? You could do the match reports on the main site - more informative than usual!! 

6 hours ago, Colemanballs said:

What a pleasure it was to wake up to this informative thread with its civil debate. It made the distance between me and Ashton Gate seem just that little bit closer than the actual 5,600 plus miles. Thanks to all and more of the same please. 

As you are that far ahead of us timewise, is there any chance that you could let us know on Saturday morning how we got on against Middlesbro'?

:innocent06:

12 hours ago, Desso said:

They were sat near me near the back for much of the game and I thought he looked familiar. In fact, I asked one the scouts who he was and he didn't know.

It’s been bugging me , 

I think it might have been Jermaine Easter -  

what ya reckon  ?

(I see he’s a ‘Football Consultant’ on Linkedin)

7F879F18-A455-4E48-9175-9C16DED8A120.jpeg

12 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Exactly. There’s no logical reason why LJ would rather have a “bloated squad of players on medium wages rather than having to play youngsters” (to quote @Shtanley) - if the youngsters were good enough.

He’s just bought Massengo, an 18 year old, and he’s gone straight into the team. So he’s clearly not afraid to pick someone young. If he’d had a player of Massengo’s quality in the academy then naturally he’d have picked him too. But he doesn’t.

I understand your point of view and it would be silly for LJ to put youngsters in at the start of matches.

But he should be using them as late subs to give them the opportunity to aid their development. 

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thanks for your thoughts

Agree with all you’ve highlighted and

Yep - Without doubt 

Bob, you've been a legend on this thread, fantastic updates and opinions on the players involved.  Top man.

Was the lad we signed from Bath, Rob Cundy, involved at all?  I can't recall if we loaned him out to someone already.

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Bob, you've been a legend on this thread, fantastic updates and opinions on the players involved.  Top man.

Was the lad we signed from Bath, Rob Cundy, involved at all?  I can't recall if we loaned him out to someone already.

He’s at Exeter on a season’s loan and I don’t think he’s made the 18 once yet for a league game, but was on bench for league cup. 

48 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It’s been bugging me , 

I think it might have been Jermaine Easter -  

what ya reckon  ?

(I see he’s a ‘Football Consultant’ on Linkedin)

7F879F18-A455-4E48-9175-9C16DED8A120.jpeg

Pretty certain that's him. Thank you, I can relax now. He was on his phone messaging nearly all the game. Jamie Mac. Dean Holden and Lee acknowledged him when they took their seats.

47 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

You are welcome Kev

Its merely a personal opinion based on a single snapshot 

Have to say , it was a completely different experience to watching us on a full match day , not worried about result and able to enjoy some excellent football, from both sides, Tbf

Would highly recommend it 

I went down yesterday and thought it was a very enjoyable game to watch.  Obviously we had a much stronger side out than them, but it was nice to see some good football played and a few of the young lads looked good.  As already mentioned, Soady impressed me and I thought after a shaky start Aden Baldwin looked alright too, as well as the other centre back that came on late Tom (I think?) Harrison.

Semenyo looked really good, Eliasson was a constant threat and far too good for reserve football, Adelakun grew into the game, and Szmodics was tireless up front.

Williams also looked a lot more ready than I thought he might be.  It's tough to judge against a young team but he dealt with everything pretty well and the couple of times it looked like he might get caught out for pace, he was able to read the game well enough to get back and clear.

Only real disappointment of sorts was Jonny Smith (who admittedly only played 15 mins or so).  He struggled to get going and a few of his teammates seemed frustrated by him.

Other than that it was worth going down and I'm hoping to catch a few more of the U23 games this season.

Another “out of interest” question from me!

Was Williams at fault for their goal?

From BP reporter Krishan Davis:

Rusty start

Inevitably the experienced centre-half took a little while to shake off the cobwebs - his last 90 minutes coming for Wales on June 11.

Although he was predictably loud and communicated well, he was nowhere to be seen as Barnsley forward Elliot Simoes nipped the ball around his defensive partner Aden Baldwin before running through on goal and slotting past Niki Maenpaa after just seven minutes.

He was also involved in some loose passing after a quarter of an hour as the Robins defence put pressure on their own 'keeper. Maenpaa was forced to skip past one man before being tackled for a fortunate goal kick.

Lee Johnson will be acutely aware that a slow start against the likes of Britt Assombalonga will mean trouble.

Looks like the next u.23 home game is against Birmingham on Monday 9th Sept, ko 1pm.

Are they always held at AG these days?

Or if anyone's so enthused by these match reports that they can't wait that long the next match is Leeds away, this coming Sunday, ko 1pm. :chant6ez:

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Rusty start

Inevitably the experienced centre-half took a little while to shake off the cobwebs - his last 90 minutes coming for Wales on June 11.

Although he was predictably loud and communicated well, he was nowhere to be seen as Barnsley forward Elliot Simoes nipped the ball around his defensive partner Aden Baldwin before running through on goal and slotting past Niki Maenpaa after just seven minutes.

He was also involved in some loose passing after a quarter of an hour as the Robins defence put pressure on their own 'keeper. Maenpaa was forced to skip past one man before being tackled for a fortunate goal kick.

Lee Johnson will be acutely aware that a slow start against the likes of Britt Assombalonga will mean trouble.

No !

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Looks like the next u.23 home game is against Birmingham on Monday 9th Sept, ko 1pm.

Are they always held at AG these days?

Or if anyone's so enthused by these match reports that they can't wait that long the next match is Leeds away, this coming Sunday, ko 1pm. :chant6ez:

What time train we catching Nogs :thumbsup:

:trumpet:

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Rusty start

I think that's more than a bit harsh.  Baldwin was the one who should've cleared it but he looked weak and just let the guy skip past him far too easily.

17 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

No !

9 minutes ago, Roe said:

I think that's more than a bit harsh.  Baldwin was the one who should've cleared it but he looked weak and just let the guy skip past him far too easily.

I’ll rely on your judgement!!!!

33 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What time train we catching Nogs :thumbsup:

:trumpet:

Just had a look Bob.

We'd be looking at the 9.15 from TM, gets in exactly at ko time.

We'd miss most of the 1st half, but probably still worth it at just 89.55 e/w?

Certain to be a lot of interest in this one after yesterday - wonder if the club would consider laying on a special? ? ?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Rusty start

Iirc the problem started with our keeper with the ball at his feet. Williams went to his right and Baldwin was on his left. Keeper was then pressed and it appeared the out ball was left footed to Williams in acres of space. Keeper dawdled then played it to Baldwin who was immediately under pressure and tried to go wide left but was robbed leaving attacker one on one with the keeper. Maenpa chose the wrong option of the safer ball to Williams in space.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Just had a look Bob.

Certain to be a lot of interest in this one after yesterday - wonder if the club would consider laying on a special? ? ?

Really Nog? Have you not been brainwashed into trying Train AI yet for cheaper tickets?

13 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Iirc the problem started with our keeper with the ball at his feet. Williams went to his right and Baldwin was on his left. Keeper was then pressed and it appeared the out ball was left footed to Williams in acres of space. Keeper dawdled then played it to Baldwin who was immediately under pressure and tried to go wide left but was robbed leaving attacker one on one with the keeper. Maenpa chose the wrong option of the safer ball to Williams in space.

No, we got away with that one !

For the goal - No one challenged a ball forward , big  header by their CB just inside their half, all the way thro to their attacker and Baldwin who misses his kick or attacker got a touch ,&  straight in on Maenppa,     IIRC  

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Just had a look Bob.

Erm, ..… Parson St !

Dont forget,  Parson St !  

Archived