IGNORED

U23 game @ AG, 1pm Tuesday

CTRed

8 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

But he should be using them as late subs to give them the opportunity to aid their development

Whats better for a players development, occasional 'late' appearances off the bench or what should be regular game time in the division below? Take Max for example, say we didn't sign Bentley he'd have played 5 games up until Maenpaa being fit again (he's played a couple of 23's games) so could be back out of the side and sat on the bench, or do we let him go to league 1 and play every week to help him develop? Joe Morrell, occasional appearances on the bench or a full season in league 1? He'd basically be in the position Walsh is in now, which is really better for a player?

17 minutes ago, hodge said:

Whats better for a players development, occasional 'late' appearances off the bench or what should be regular game time in the division below? Take Max for example, say we didn't sign Bentley he'd have played 5 games up until Maenpaa being fit again (he's played a couple of 23's games) so could be back out of the side and sat on the bench, or do we let him go to league 1 and play every week to help him develop? Joe Morrell, occasional appearances on the bench or a full season in league 1? He'd basically be in the position Walsh is in now, which is really better for a player?

Interesting argument, and I’m not sure there’s a black and white answer.

From the outside looking in, I reckon Freddie Hinds loan to Cheltenham was a poor one because I reckon he’d have learned more training with the first team, better players, style of play etc....someone like Bobby taking him under their wing.  I’m sure there were good intentions but that doesn’t mean it’s right.

4 hours ago, hodge said:

Agree with you completely but not all Academy boys are out on loan. So from those that remain here, presumably those that are nearest to our standard, then more cameo appearances are essential to their development.

22 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I understand your point of view and it would be silly for LJ to put youngsters in at the start of matches.

But he should be using them as late subs to give them the opportunity to aid their development. 

Should he? I thought we were aiming for promotion? Substitutes are a critical part of the game. We need people on the bench with the ability to change the game or be like-for-like quality replacements in the event of injury or tiredness.

Are you suggesting he should compromise on selecting his best match day squad - and our best chance of winning the game - so we can “aid the development” of youngsters? Sorry, can’t agree.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Should he? I thought we were aiming for promotion? Substitutes are a critical part of the game. We need people on the bench with the ability to change the game or be like-for-like quality replacements in the event of injury or tiredness.

Are you suggesting he should compromise on selecting his best match day squad - and our best chance of winning the game - so we can “aid the development” of youngsters? Sorry, can’t agree.

A fair point but the counter-argument would be that the approach you are advocating is short-termist and the best hope of gaining promotion is to have a bunch of quality youngsters coming through that are ready to step up when needed and if the way to do that is to slightly compromise the match day squad then so be it. I don't think either approach is right by the way. I think there needs to be balance between the two. As to whether LJ is striking the right balance, I'd suggest that he is erring on the cautious, short term side but, given the pressures on him to deliver results, that's understandable.

8 hours ago, Colemanballs said:

A fair point but the counter-argument would be that the approach you are advocating is short-termist and the best hope of gaining promotion is to have a bunch of quality youngsters coming through that are ready to step up when needed and if the way to do that is to slightly compromise the match day squad then so be it. I don't think either approach is right by the way. I think there needs to be balance between the two. As to whether LJ is striking the right balance, I'd suggest that he is erring on the cautious, short term side but, given the pressures on him to deliver results, that's understandable.

Half the trouble is that we never seem to have a season where we`re comfortably mid -table and the last six games become essentially meaningless so we can play some youngsters in them.

Archived