IGNORED

Saturday - Bring The Effin Noise

TuxHarry

The team need and deserve our support more than ever on Saturday. Boro have sold an impressive 1,300 to date according to another forum so our wounded squad needs the support.

Seriously what is the point in turning up and sitting on your hands folks? You may as well not be there and I witness this all too often in the Lansdown Stand. Get behind the team as per the players and managements request, it really makes a difference! 

COYR!

I've got massive respect to fans who go game in game out, home and away to follow City. I also love it when that support is vocal.

But it's each to their own for me - if that's what you choose = being there, paying for your ticket and clapping is also just as good support for me and the tickets sales won't agree with you that they "may as well not be there"! 

How else we going to pay Afobe's wages :bonkers:

12 minutes ago, TuxHarry said:

The team need and deserve our support more than ever on Saturday. Boro have sold an impressive 1,300 to date according to another forum so our wounded squad needs the support.

Seriously what is the point in turning up and sitting on your hands folks? You may as well not be there and I witness this all too often in the Lansdown Stand. Get behind the team as per the players and managements request, it really makes a difference! 

COYR!

12.30 kick off , you can forget a decent atmosphere I'm afraid. 

13 minutes ago, TuxHarry said:

COYR!

I like to watch the game, see my friends and fellow supporters in the South Stand, shout and cheer, and sing as I see fit. I'm sure others feel the same. :city:

36 minutes ago, TuxHarry said:

COYR!

Putting aside that people watch/enjoy in different ways and disregarding the fact that 12.30pm kick offs always have unsurprising issues getting atmosphere going- just on a specific point:

The Lansdown is never going to be a noisy stand- which is a bit unfortunate given it's the largest!

Consider the factors:

• Most expensive tickets in the ground- less likely to be rowdy, raucous.
  • Directors, corporates.
  • Family section in the upper.

Probably quite tight stewarding to reflect these factors? All has an impact. I've given up on the Lansdown creating any particular atmosphere of note- if I ever believed it likely in the first place that is.

19 minutes ago, TuxHarry said:

COYR!

Why "more than ever"?

Genuinely intrigued 

36 minutes ago, TuxHarry said:

COYR!

I go & rarely sing or join in with songs because as someone who likes to take in all the intricacies of the game, I like to concentrate on what is actually going on on the pitch!

If that means that you’d prefer that I wasn’t there, then tough! I’ve supported my club for over 40 years & while I used to stand in the middle of the EastEnd as a teenager in the 80’s & 90’s, that’s now past me. Not good enough for you? Tough.

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Putting aside that people watch/enjoy in different ways and disregarding the fact that 12.30pm kick offs always have unsurprising issues getting atmosphere going- just on a specific point:

The Lansdown is never going to be a noisy stand- which is a bit unfortunate given it's the largest!

Consider the factors:

• Most expensive tickets in the ground- less likely to be rowdy, raucous.
  • Directors, corporates.
  • Family section in the upper.

Probably quite tight stewarding to reflect these factors? All has an impact. I've given up on the Lansdown creating any particular atmosphere of note- if I ever believed it likely in the first place that is.

I was quite worried when we were moved up there that it would feel disjointed and distant. But it doesn't, we get a really decent level of noise coming from other parts of the ground. There is also quite a bit of noise going on up there (albeit with a fair level of word substitution to reflect the ethos of young children being present :whistle: ). The kids seem to love the atmosphere and also love being able to yell and cheer - long may that continue!

54 minutes ago, TuxHarry said:

COYR!

It's a no from me I'm afraid. It's a 12:30 kick off, I'll be sat sitting on my hands being pissed off that I'm there that early. 

8 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

12.30 kick off completely ruins it. Only saving grace is that it’s not a Sunday

Shite. 

Would be interested to see if this is a universal trend- listened to a game when I was up North the weekend we lost to Derby, and Leeds-Aston Villa was very noisy.

Not only at midday but on a Sunday at that! Also read that Derby-WBA lately was quite good for a 12.30pm.

Maybe an exception, not a rule? It is mostly flatter granted. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would be interested to see if this is a universal trend- listened to a game when I was up North the weekend we lost to Derby, and Leeds-Aston Villa was very noisy.

Not only at midday but on a Sunday at that! Also read that Derby-WBA lately was quite good for a 12.30pm.

Maybe an exception, not a rule? It is mostly flatter granted. 

I remember going to a City V Rovers game at Ashton Gate on a Sunday with something like a 12 kick off around 2000, atmosphere was shocking.

I just don't think our fanbase likes the early kick offs whilst over teams don't mind as much.

2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I remember going to a City V Rovers game at Ashton Gate on a Sunday with something like a 12 kick off around 2000, atmosphere was shocking.

I just don't think our fanbase likes the early kick offs whilst over teams don't mind as much.

Yeah, that sounds right- think it was about 20 years ago, or 1999/2000 anyway, unsure when in the season- under the dreaded Pulis?

One could similarly ask the question what’s the point in going to not actually watch the game, get ridiculously drunk, stare at the opposition fans for 90 minutes, bang a drum, let off fireworks etc.  Each to their own, some are very analytical and want to observe players/tactics etc.

Me, I’m somewhere in the middle but a good noise usually helps!

16 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, that sounds right- think it was about 20 years ago, or 1999/2000 anyway, unsure when in the season- under the dreaded Pulis?

Yeah Oct 99, dire match and dire atmosphere. 

One year on, Dec 2000, Friday night, cracking atmosphere and a 3-2 win :D 

I really don’t get the moaning about 12:30 kick off. I agree that it’s not ideal - but it is what it is. 

Don't turn up being negative about it from the start. 

There’s no rule anywhere stating that people can’t sing before 3pm, so make the most what turns out to feel like a longer day of it. 

Head out a little earlier, cheer the boys on and then enjoy the rest of the afternoon doing whatever it is that you’ll be doing. 

If people really need booze to be able to sing a couple of hours earlier that preferred, then just the Thatchers on your cornflakes and get on with it..! 

COYR! 

10 minutes ago, Icelandic Clap said:

Yeah Oct 99, dire match and dire atmosphere. 

One year on, Dec 2000, Friday night, cracking atmosphere and a 3-2 win :D

A poor game but I do recall given we were languishing in the lower reaches and that side were top or right up there,  probably better than expected! 

That one was great, just before Christmas too, in front of the Sky cameras, under the lights! That other side laughed first- scored about 30 secs in- but we laughed last and longest! :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Get over yourself. A lot of people like to turn up to watch a game of football. Then go home. Not everyone is a beered up ultra.

There’s a difference between being a “beered up ultra” and sitting on your seat refusing to join in with any songs.

It really confuses me when people take the moral high ground over this sort of thing and get all arsey about being asked to sing — the club constantly ask for an atmosphere and to cheer the boys on, if you support Bristol City then why on earth would you not oblige?

13 minutes ago, TuxHarry said:

There’s a difference between being a “beered up ultra” and sitting on your seat refusing to join in with any songs.

It really confuses me when people take the moral high ground over this sort of thing and get all arsey about being asked to sing — the club constantly ask for an atmosphere and to cheer the boys on, if you support Bristol City then why on earth would you not oblige?

Seriously?

11 minutes ago, TuxHarry said:

Seriously. If you support the club, why wouldn’t you try and do your all to urge them into victory? It really makes a difference.

I wish more people would, but at the end of the day, you can't force them? There may be a number of reasons.. older age, more introverted personality, more interest in the tactical side of the game, children to look after... Doesn't make them any less of a fan.

9 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Well there we go, if you don't join in with the singing section then you shouldn't be coming to AG to watch us...

Really don't get why some fans seem to feep obliged to tell others how to enjoy their football

Completely agree.

If I had to sit still and just talk to the person next to me for 90 minutes I wouldn’t go and wouldn’t enjoy football.

I would find it boring and not what I fell in love with 30 odd years ago.

Archived