IGNORED

Used car for learner driver

54-46

Hello

My son is looking for a cheapish car to learn in and see him good for a year or so after passing his test

Any suggestions as to a decent, reliable option and a decent dealer to use?

The Peugeot 107 / Citroen c1 looks a fairly good shout but any advice gratefully received

Thanks in advance 

Although cheap and a good run around I am not so sure their ncap safety rating is as hot as it could be. And with any new driver I think that needs to be taken into consideration not just the price.

I believe the Hyundai i10 may have a better rating and of course you can pick one up 2nd hand quite cheap still in warranty as it had 5 years. Where I think Citroen/Peugeot is 3 years

On 27/08/2019 at 20:34, TRL said:

Although cheap and a good run around I am not so sure their ncap safety rating is as hot as it could be. And with any new driver I think that needs to be taken into consideration not just the price.

I believe the Hyundai i10 may have a better rating and of course you can pick one up 2nd hand quite cheap still in warranty as it had 5 years. Where I think Citroen/Peugeot is 3 years

My first car was a Hyundai Getz (the older model of the i10) - very reliable and a great first car - would highly recommend ?

On 28/08/2019 at 21:50, 54-46 said:

He’s got a couple of grand saved up so far 

Get something cheap to run, repair and insure. Cheap being the optimum factor.

A £200 Corsa that will stand up to the knocks, bumps and scrapes of being a new driver for 6 months is probably cash well spent, they can then get something half tidy when they have a but of experience.

Remember that you are taught to pass your test, you learn to drive with experience.

The Corsa is a good shout. He'll probably need about 1k to insure it, plus tax and you may as well get him into the habit of having a couple of hundred tucked away for the inevitable repairs and consumables.

Bloody money pits! 

When my wife was learning someone we work with was selling a Clio on an X plate (2000). Had only done just over 60k and she wanted £300 for it. As the wife was learning in a Clio (albeit about 16 years newer), it wasnt a bad shout especially as it had 9 months MOT.

She passed about 5 months later, and had the Clio to "learn" on her own.

Unfortunately after having to replace the exhaust which fell off whilst I was driving it, replacing all the brakes, hazard switch, window motor, battery, headlights, the costs started racking up. The final straw was when 5 of the 6 windows were put through whilst parked up near the house we were in at the time - replaced them on the insurance and then traded it in against an 11 plate KA (newer shape). Bloody Clio was cursed!!!

Older cars are good in some respects, but can sometimes end up costing you more than it would by buying a slightly newer (yet older) one. 

One benefit of getting an older car though, is that so long as it's registered in your name for about 9 months (I think), a lot of dealers will take it in the scrappage scheme against a new car, so a £300 run around could get you about £2000 off the price of a new one in 9-12 months time. I think those deals sometimes come and go, but they still tend to do them quite regularly especially when the new registrations come out.

8 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Might be a good idea to check the insurance costs of any potential purchases before actually parting with cash. Some cars are very cheap to buy but a horror to insure at young age.

No indeed. A cheap jack runaround could cost you double in insurance and work out more expensive than a more expensive car with better safety features.

Quite rightly insurance companies have policies where clapped out old bangers being bought as first cars by new drivers will be expensive, as others in this thread have already suggested let the driver have a few scrapes and bangs in a car worth very little. The problem is not this worthless car, it's the car it potentially hits. 

My suggestion give the clapped out banger a miss. It will work out more expensive and put your loved on at greater risk if they were to be in an accident,... Which is statistically more likely when first starting out.

Cost, in my opinion is not the most important thing when making the decision. Highest priority is safety.

Avoid French crap and keep the make/model common and simple.

I’d say a Fiesta is the obvious choice.

Easy and cheap to maintain and common place for your local garage to conduct servicing and any basic repairs if required. Easy to source tyres etc...

Advise to get a petrol.

There’s always loads available for sale, for simple purpose of being a common vehicle.

If you’re going to a trader, rather than private, buy from a reputable garage, for example one which is an approved member of a trade association, such as The RMI. Better still, look out for Motor Codes/Trading Standard’s approved garages, like Trust My Garage approved centres. Helps if there’s an issue post-purchase.

Look out for vehicles with a full service record. If the owner(s) have been conscientious, then they’d have it at hand in the service booklet. 

Number of owners is not as important.

If a car has been looked after, they generally have a better MOT history with minimal issues found (if any). 

This can be checked here, simply by having the vehicle registration:

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status

Buying 'privately' vs from a 'trader'... Worth checking out Right To Reject (consumer act) if the car you purchase proves to be unfit for purpose, ie faulty etc.

Bought privately (usually initially a bit cheaper) you have next to no rights but if you buy from a trader (including those who trade from home and advertise on gumtree etc)  you do have certain rights, including short term time limited Right To Reject for full refund if car has faults... Can be complicated rules but well worth checking out if law on your side.

(I rejected a car earlier this year after advise from AA legal dept confirmed I had rights under Right to Reject Consumer Act and got a full refund from the trader, which was a relief as I thought I was stuck with a lemon. ) 

Something worth checking out anyway. 

Archived