IGNORED

Dean Saunders (Merged)

Bristol Rob

• Admin

Ex-Liverpool striker Dean Saunders has won his appeal against a jail sentence for failing to take a breath test.

Saunders, 55, was jailed for 10 weeks by District Judge Nicholas Sanders when he appeared at Chester Magistrates' Court on August 28.

He admitting failing to comply with a roadside breath test and failing to provide a breath specimen.

Judge Steven Everett has quashed the immediate jail term and instead suspended the sentence for 18 months.

Saunders also played for Aston Villa, Derby County, and Nottingham Forest and won 75 caps for Wales.

Judge Everett, the Honorary Recorder of Chester Crown Court, also ordered Saunders to do 200 hours unpaid work in the community. His 30-month road ban remains.

Saunders failed to comply with a roadside breath when he was stopped in an Audi A8 by a police patrol in Chester city centre on May 10 after spending a day at the races.

He spent just one day in custody and was given bail after his lawyers launched an appeal against his jail sentence.

The court was shown footage from a police body-cam taken in the custody suite at Blacon police station.

'Laughing stock'

For several minutes Saunders is repeatedly offered the chance to provide a breath specimen but he tells police he wants to wait for the duty solicitor.

After being told that is not an option he continues to questions the instruction and is told that he will be prosecuted for failing to provide a specimen.

Alistair Webster QC, defending, told the court the immediate prison sentence was "disproportionate".

He said the footage which was issued to the media by the police and had left his client "humiliated".

"He rapidly went from an icon to a laughing stock," the barrister said.

Mr Webster added: "He's not been able to watch (the footage) before because he feels overwhelming humiliation by everything that happened."

'Hang your head in shame'

Judge Everett said he believed Saunders had "had a lot to drink" and "prevaricated" over taking a breath test so the reading would be lower.

The judge said he took "entirely wrong approach" at the magistrates' court in telling probation officers that he could not do work in the community because of his job as a TV pundit.

The court heard that Saunders was now willing to carry out community service and the only other realistic option was serving a sentence in jail.

Judge Everett said the district judge had been right to jail Saunders but, because of his previous good character and the prospect of rehabilitation, he could now suspend the sentence.

The judge added: "The sheer shame is going to live with you for the rest of your life.

"You should literally hang your head in shame by what you did.

"I suggest you take the opportunity to tell others that it really isn't worth it. Drink-driving is a terrible thing. Don't," he added.

'Terrible error of judgement'

In a statement released by the League Managers Association, Saunders said: "I want to apologise to the court, my family and all of the people I have let down as a result of my actions.

"I made a terrible error of judgment for which I have been rightly punished, and I wholeheartedly regret that it happened.

"I accept that I have been given an opportunity by the court and I hope that people can learn from my experience. The message is a simple one - don't ever drink and drive.

"I will learn from this and become a better person."

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

The court heard that Saunders was now willing to carry out community service and the only other realistic option was serving a sentence in jail.

So he thought he could play the easy way out and just get fined rather than community service, but when a custodial was the only other option he decided he could manage community service - should have doubled what they were going to give him just for that? If I am reading that correctly then the bloke couldn't care less about what he has been caught and convicted of, and just wanted an easy way out.

I hope he never gets another tv contract and let someone else have one who are more deserving of it. First judge obviously had his character bang to rights.

Archived