IGNORED

Furthest flight between two airports

The Batman

Bare with me. Get your geography brains in order. Just something different to discuss on otib. 

Popped into my head today how silly it would be if you flew from alaska to New Zealand by flying acrossthe Atlantic, Europe, Asia etc rather than just fly across the Pacific like they do (probably via dallas or San Diego) but let's just say that there is a plane that could go direct, which two airports are farthest away from each other? 

Doing some research and nobody seems to know the answer. Someone said Spain to new Zealand, another said Indonesia to Paraguay, another said Thailand and Peru (they gave the actual airport names). Anyone care to give their two cents? Does anyone know the answer? 

14 minutes ago, TRL said:

Maybe Shanghai to Rosario in Argentina... I doubt they fly between the two but if they did I reckon that is going to be the furthest between cities with big enough airports

Yeah this is what I'm getting at. They don't have to fly direct to each other now. Its trying to find which two would be farthest away from each other. 

Love @Red Right Hand 's idea though.

Thanks @phantom for the list too of genuine long haul flights. Some of the ones suggested by others that I found go for a few thousand miles on top of those. 

11 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Yeah this is what I'm getting at. They don't have to fly direct to each other. Its trying to find which two would be farthest away from each other. 

Love @Red Right Hand 's idea though.

Thanks @phantom for the list too of genuine long haul flights. Some of the ones suggested by others that I found go for a few thousand miles on top of those. 

Well if we are going Gatwick to Heathrow. I'm giving you don muang to Suvarnabhumi :)

edit that I'm going otepeni to baneasa Bucharest airports are about 3-5 mile's apart 

Most reasonably sized places will have an airport, so you just need to find out the furthest distance between two cities/towns.

For flights the general public can take, Svalbard in Norway is the most northerly with regular scheduled public flights, Malvinas Argentinas is the most southerly.

But it depends what you class as an airport!  Alert Airport in Canada is the closest to the North Pole and Antarctica has a few airports, although I can't find which is  the closest to the South Pole . But they are not really public ones with scheduled flights so I don't know if you'd count them. 

16 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Most reasonably sized places will have an airport, so you just need to find out the furthest distance between two cities/towns.

For flights the general public can take, Svalbard in Norway is the most northerly with regular scheduled public flights, Malvinas Argentinas is the most southerly.

But it depends what you class as an airport!  Alert Airport in Canada is the closest to the North Pole and Antarctica has a few airports, although I can't find which is  the closest to the South Pole . But they are not really public ones with scheduled flights so I don't know if you'd count them. 

According to a map tool that I found, the distance between those two is 9,794 miles which is 200 miles longer than Newark to Singapore. 

One person I asked found Boston (USA) to Perth (aus) which would be 11,618 miles. 

Doing more Internet research, one person found Lisbon (por) to aukland (new Zealand) which is 12,192. That's going across the Atlantic and Pacific. But valladolid (Spain) to Wellington (New Zealand) is 12,401 and that's going over Asia as its quicker to fly Atlantic & Pacific from there. 

1 hour ago, miser said:

Circumference of the earth is 24900, so anything around 12450 is the winner. Hopefully Ryanair will add it to their schedule, so we can give it a try.

Imagine doing that and only being able to take a small bottle of water with you for fear of the fare doubling for anything bigger than that.

1 hour ago, miser said:

Circumference of the earth is 24900, so anything around 12450 is the winner. Hopefully Ryanair will add it to their schedule, so we can give it a try.

Google suggests that the cities farthest apart are Rosario in Argentina and Xinghua in China - they are 12,425 miles apart.

@The BatmanWhat do you class as an airport?

I worked at Rothera research station many years ago, it had an ice runway then, but has since had a asphalt runway built. I've also worked at Halley research station which has an ice runway and the McMurdo-Scott base at the South Pole has an ice runway, flying from these to a runway in the Arctic circle would be a fair distance

Image result for rothera runway

21 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

@The BatmanWhat do you class as an airport?

I worked at Rothera research station many years ago, it had an ice runway then, but has since had a asphalt runway built. I've also worked at Halley research station which has an ice runway and the McMurdo-Scott base at the South Pole has an ice runway, flying from these to a runway in the Arctic circle would be a fair distance

Image result for rothera runway

Absolutely glorious that you know of an airport like this. If you wish to find out what is furthest from there and see if ti's more than 12,425 miles away, you'll win 

On 29/08/2019 at 03:51, miser said:

Earth isn't a perfect sphere though. It bulges, albeit very slightly, at the equator. The circumference around the equator is 24,901.461 miles and around the poles 'only' 24,859.734 miles. So any flight going around the equator could be up to 20 miles (as you halve it for a direct flight) further than one that starts very far north and ends very far south. Finding two cities, on opposite sides of the planet, both near the equator or at least in the tropics is probably your best bet.

I thought maybe something like Quito to Singapore - just googling the distance between these gives 12,251.576 miles - damn close but not really far enough.

24 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Earth isn't a perfect sphere though. It bulges, albeit very slightly, at the equator. The circumference around the equator is 24,901.461 miles and around the poles 'only' 24,859.734 miles. So any flight going around the equator could be up to 20 miles (as you halve it for a direct flight) further than one that starts very far north and ends very far south. Finding two cities, on opposite sides of the planet, both near the equator or at least in the tropics is probably your best bet.

I thought maybe something like Quito to Singapore - just googling the distance between these gives 12,251.576 miles - damn close but not really far enough.

We also need to factor in the fact that flying at 6 miles up increases the flight length as the circumference is greater up there. Also Quito to Singapore got to be downhill. Time to get out my old maths textbooks. Might be over thinking it though.

Archived