• Pereira
  • O'Dowda
  • Szmodics
  • Diédhiou
  • Eliasson
  • Mäenpää
  • Williams

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If we go back 3, that will be the team, although Hunt and Pereira seem to be sharing minutes, so who knows.

If we go back 4 I think it will be 4312.  It would be a bit of a gamble but you could go:

Bentley

Hunt (Pereira) | Moore | Baker | Rowe

Brownhill | Massengo | Palmer

Szmodics (O’Dowda)

Weimann | Afobe

I think Palmer can be trusted in a 3, and it can morph into various fluid formations with Weimann and Szmodics.

The diamond although successful for teams like Liverpool, I think we'd struggle with, but maybe Lee thinks we have the energy and legs in midfield to cover the wide areas. However, it does rely heavy on your full backs, a position we aren't exactly overly strong in. Playing the diamond IMO, will leave both full backs quite exposed and we know Hunt and Rowe aren't amazing defenders. Stoke have been trying to play the diamond this season, and that hasn't exactly gone great for them! 

I'm all for trying to get all of our attacking assets into the starting 11, and Kasey for me has to start on current form. But I wasn't comfortable with him on the left at Hull. Hull got in down our left hand side a number of times (albeit they did have Bowen there) and Kasey, although seems to have improved his fitness and work ethic massively, is not the greatest protection for Rowe. Kasey is much better for me, in behind the front men. As you said, maybe worth a gamble and it could pay off. I'm just not sure the full backs are good enough for us to play that formation. With all the attacking quality in the team though, we may end up playing it and winning games 4 - 3 ?  

4 minutes ago, 97Red said:

The diamond although successful for teams like Liverpool, I think we'd struggle with, but maybe Lee thinks we have the energy and legs in midfield to cover the wide areas. However, it does rely heavy on your full backs, a position we aren't exactly overly strong in. Playing the diamond IMO, will leave both full backs quite exposed and we know Hunt and Rowe aren't amazing defenders. Stoke have been trying to play the diamond this season, and that hasn't exactly gone great for them! 

I'm all for trying to get all of our attacking assets into the starting 11, and Kasey for me has to start on current form. But I wasn't comfortable with him on the left at Hull. Hull got in down our left hand side a number of times (albeit they did have Bowen there) and Kasey, although seems to have improved his fitness and work ethic massively, is not the greatest protection for Rowe. Kasey is much better for me, in behind the front men. As you said, maybe worth a gamble and it could pay off. I'm just not sure the full backs are good enough for us to play that formation. With all the attacking quality in the team though, we may end up playing it and winning games 4 - 3 ?  

I’m not suggesting a diamond - I’m suggesting a flat 3, which shifts across the pitch together depending on where the ball is.

When we played Derby (I know we played a back 5 that night) it was obvious we’d worked on our shape since the QPR game in the Saturday and the midfield got into position quickly to support Rowe especially.  

The fitter Palmer, plus the energy of Szmodics (and Weimann) could make it work.

No formation is bomb proof....I’m just not keen on us reverting to a back 4 and going traditional 442, because you then waste Palmer in a wide midfield position, and we end up with a two man central midfield. The 4222-hexagon has some merits, but we saw how West Brom exploited it once they’d noticed what we were doing.

LJ’s interview yesterday hinted that he really likes the 5....so it wouldn’t surprise me to see Williams come in.  That 212 in front of:

Brownhill | Massengo

Palmer

Weimann | Afobe

is probably the best way of getting those players on the pitch in their best / favourite positions.  The WBs support this both with and without the ball knowing there are 3 CBs in place.

No doubt LJ will have some surprise up his sleeve.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not suggesting a diamond - I’m suggesting a flat 3, which shifts across the pitch together depending on where the ball is.

When we played Derby (I know we played a back 5 that night) it was obvious we’d worked on our shape since the QPR game in the Saturday and the midfield got into position quickly to support Rowe especially.  

The fitter Palmer, plus the energy of Szmodics (and Weimann) could make it work.

No formation is bomb proof....I’m just not keen on us reverting to a back 4 and going traditional 442, because you then waste Palmer in a wide midfield position, and we end up with a two man central midfield. The 4222-hexagon has some merits, but we saw how West Brom exploited it once they’d noticed what we were doing.

LJ’s interview yesterday hinted that he really likes the 5....so it wouldn’t surprise me to see Williams come in.  That 212 in front of:

Brownhill | Massengo

Palmer

Weimann | Afobe

is probably the best way of getting those players on the pitch in their best / favourite positions.  The WBs support this both with and without the ball knowing there are 3 CBs in place.

No doubt LJ will have some surprise up his sleeve.

My mistake! I guess it's a similar principle though, but with 3 central 'busy' players all linking and interchanging, all of which are very much box to box if you will. Instead of just the one sitting in front of the back 4. I think we have the energy in the midfield to shift across and get about the pitch for sure, just as I said previously, there maybe times when our full backs are left exposed, but as you said no formation is bomb proof and quite right there. 

If LJ plays Williams then surely it will be the usual back 5 with Massengo & Brownhill CM, Palmer ACM, Afobe & Weimann up top.

If LJ sticks with a back 4, then I'd like to see Eliasson start, as if he can deliver his usual number of quality crosses I reckon Afobe with his superior movement will get on the end of them.

Worst case scenario is sticking with a back 4, and LJ picking Fammy to start alongside Afobe with Weimann pushed right, where he is usually poor and offers no defensive cover.

Given how open we looked against Hull with a back 4, I reckon Williams will play in a back 5.

2 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

If LJ plays Williams then surely it will be the usual back 5 with Massengo & Brownhill CM, Palmer ACM, Afobe & Weimann up top.

If LJ sticks with a back 4, then I'd like to see Eliasson start, as if he can deliver his usual number of quality crosses I reckon Afobe with his superior movement will get on the end of them.

Worst case scenario is sticking with a back 4, and LJ picking Fammy to start alongside Afobe with Weimann pushed right, where he is usually poor and offers no defensive cover.

Given how open we looked against Hull with a back 4, I reckon Williams will play in a back 5.

Thing is we don’t know how fit Williams is. He won’t be match fit for sure and I’m expecting him to be on the bench.

My guess is it’ll be a flat back four with Baker and Moore in the middle.

That said, only those involved around the squad will have the necessary knowledge of which players are fit to start tomorrow.

1 hour ago, 97Red said:

My mistake! I guess it's a similar principle though, but with 3 central 'busy' players all linking and interchanging, all of which are very much box to box if you will. Instead of just the one sitting in front of the back 4. I think we have the energy in the midfield to shift across and get about the pitch for sure, just as I said previously, there maybe times when our full backs are left exposed, but as you said no formation is bomb proof and quite right there. 

No probs ?

Yep, we have a very different set of options with the signing of Nagy and Massengo and Pack leaving.

Archived