IGNORED

England squad announced

Never to the dark side

5 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Appreciate injuries played a part but it's a bit of a weird squad. How Michael Keane is in that squad over a Jack O'Connell I don't know, and no Grealish.

Get pissed up, break lockdown and wrap your Range Rover round a lamp post - and still expect to be given an England cap?  I don't think it's too surprising he's missing.

Agree on Keane but not sure we really have any quality at centre half.  I'm happy to see Foden in though.

2 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Get pissed up, break lockdown and wrap your Range Rover round a lamp post - and still expect to be given an England cap?  I don't think it's too surprising he's missing.

Agree on Keane but not sure we really have any quality at centre half.  I'm happy to see Foden in though.

Tomori would have been worth a shout.

Midefield looks a bit light when you consider Henderson, Oxlade-CHamberlain, Barkley, Alli and Maddison are all missing from the squad but it does go to show the depth we have available now

5 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Get arrested and allegedly assault a Greek police officer, gets you in the squad, maybe Grealish should have twatted some coppers. 

Eric Dier in that squad ahead of Tarkowski, Dunk, is a ******* joke. Jesus Webby has been better than Dier at CB this season. 

Can't see Grealish getting in any time soon, Villa fans will be up in arms but he's been an idiot quite a few times & the FA/Southgate probably don't want the risks of it when hes on international duty. With the likes of Foden/Mount/Maddison we're pretty well stocked there anyway. 

Phillips was class last season, really intrigued to see how he gets on this year. 

1 minute ago, Spud55 said:

Get arrested and allegedly assault a Greek police officer, gets you in the squad, maybe Grealish should have twatted some coppers. 

Eric Dier in that squad ahead of Tarkowski, Dunk, is a ******* joke. Jesus Webby has been better than Dier at CB this season. 

Funnily enough I was looking at odds to be in the euros squad next summer, and Dier was priced at 5/1, I didn't have a bet but thought that was pretty long odds for him!

15 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Appreciate injuries played a part but it's a bit of a weird squad. How Michael Keane is in that squad over a Jack O'Connell I don't know, and no Grealish.

Would say Connor Coady should be ahead of O’Connell

14 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

No left back in the squad unless you are counting Mings who hasn't played there for a while now.

Chilwell injured I’m guessing. Three right backs in the squad so assume either Walker or Trippier in as a left back. 

11 minutes ago, Nibor said:

See your point but then you've also got to leave out Maguire so I'm not convinced that's why

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Would say Connor Coady should be ahead of O’Connell

Chilwell injured I’m guessing. Three right backs in the squad so assume either Walker or Trippier in as a left back. 

It's strange he's gone with no left back when Saka is out there & able to play for two nations. He looks quality I reckon & can do a job there. 

I hope he still opts for us over Nigeria, but when he's left out at times like this he must be considering Nigeria a bit more seriously. 

Absolutely flabbergasted tbh.
How have Pickford, Dier, Keane, Walker, Mings and Trippier all managed to get in the side and Grealish, Coady, even Jack Stephens at Southampton have managed to not.
Southgate reminds me of Lee Johnson, a lot.

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

How have Pickford, Dier, Keane, Walker, Mings and Trippier all managed to get in the side and Grealish, Coady, even Jack Stephens at Southampton have managed to not.

Because you need an element of continuity to the squad, none of the players listed have let England down and some have been integral to the recent success i.e. Pickford, Trippier and to a lesser extent Dier regardless of their club form.

1 minute ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Because you need an element of continuity to the squad, none of the players listed have let England down and some have been integral to the recent success i.e. Pickford, Trippier and to a lesser extent Dier regardless of their club form.

You also need to pick players on form and at their best

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Trouble we've had in the past with many players is that when they've played for England they've not done as well as they do for their club teams. Now you've got certain players who aren't doing well at club level, but well for England.

Pickford, Walker & Trippier have all done pretty well when called upon for England, probably the reason they've been called up. 

I never thought much of Welbeck/Wilshere in club football, but when they played for England they always did a decent job. 

I don't mind Southgate picking these players, because I believe if their performances drop off he wont be picking them. 

Everyone feared he'd take his trusted Livermore to the World Cup, but he didn't. 

7 minutes ago, 2015 said:

You also need to pick players on form and at their best

I agree to an extent but what Southgate has created with his England set-up is a club-like culture which has brought a bit more togetherness than previous England managers, to maintain that culture there has to be an element of consistency in selection rather constant changes.

Just now, Dolman_Stand said:

I agree to an extent but what Southgate has created with his England set-up is a club-like culture which has brought a bit more togetherness than previous England managers, to maintain that culture there has to be an element of consistency in selection rather constant changes.

It's the contradictions though, he clearly has his favourites who are now no longer good enough imo and still sticks with them. The club isn't good enough anymore, I'm afraid.

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

It's the contradictions though, he clearly has his favourites who are now no longer good enough imo and still sticks with them. The club isn't good enough anymore, I'm afraid.

FOr as long as I've followed football there has always been discussion around players who should be or shouldn't be in the England squad its part and parcel of being England manager, what nobody can argue with is that we are in a far better place with Southgate than we have for years both in terms of performances / results and public engagement with this squad of players. Worth rememebering this is probably the weirdest time for him to be picking an England squad given current circumstances, as we get towards 2021 Euro's I'm sure there will be further tweaking dependant on form and fitness

1 minute ago, Dolman_Stand said:

FOr as long as I've followed football there has always been discussion around players who should be or shouldn't be in the England squad its part and parcel of being England manager, what nobody can argue with is that we are in a far better place with Southgate than we have for years both in terms of performances / results and public engagement with this squad of players. Worth rememebering this is probably the weirdest time for him to be picking an England squad given current circumstances, as we get towards 2021 Euro's I'm sure there will be further tweaking dependant on form and fitness

If we go into the tournament with that squad my prediction is Round of 16 is the furthest we'd go. It isn't our best players and you have to go with the best.

38 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

I think if he's convicted he'll get the same treatment.

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

If we go into the tournament with that squad my prediction is Round of 16 is the furthest we'd go. It isn't our best players and you have to go with the best.

We got to the semis of a World Cup with a squad heavily reliant on Jesse Lingard. I think we'll do pretty well next summer.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We got to the semis of a World Cup with a squad heavily reliant on Jesse Lingard. I think we'll do pretty well next summer.

We also lost at the first sight of a half decent side, so I'm not sure we can read too much into that. 

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

With the sides put infront of us, anything bar a semi final finish would have been poor. If we come up against France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy, Netherlands and Belgium when it matters, we'll lose.

Archived