IGNORED

England squad announced

Never to the dark side

1 minute ago, Spud55 said:

We also lost at the first sight of a half decent side, so I'm not sure we can read too much into that. 

Debatable, I agree we had a very favourable draw on the whole but you can only beat what's in front of you. It's still a semi-final and I'd argue we've got a better squad now.

6 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I believe this is a stronger squad than our last tournament. Some young hunger players. No Wan-Bissaka though? From what i've seen he's a better defender than TAA but no as good going forward, shame. 

Would love to see AWB on the right of a back 3, think he could be perfect in there. Struggle to find many better 1 v 1 defenders in football.  

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

With the sides put infront of us, anything bar a semi final finish would have been poor. If we come up against France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy, Netherlands and Belgium when it matters, we'll lose.

Not sure about that at all. France are better than us - I think any of the other sides you mention would be very competitive. It's trendy to be negative about England but right now we genuinely aren't that bad and are going to get better over the next few years.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Debatable, I agree we had a very favourable draw on the whole but you can only beat what's in front of you. It's still a semi-final and I'd argue we've got a better squad now.

I agree on both counts, but you are eventually in a tournament going to have to beat a decent side, so far we have shown as soon as we find one of them we lose. 

We do have a better squad, but that midfield terrifies me, because it says to me even at full strength we are going to play a dull midfield devoid of creativity and a defence that is dodgy. 

58 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Would say Connor Coady should be ahead of O’Connell

Chilwell injured I’m guessing. Three right backs in the squad so assume either Walker or Trippier in as a left back. 

Gomez can play LB too....played there for Charlton and initially for Liverpool too.

35 minutes ago, 2015 said:

If we go into the tournament with that squad my prediction is Round of 16 is the furthest we'd go. It isn't our best players and you have to go with the best.

The Goalkeepers and Forwards are going to be pretty similar to this squad I think, the midfield is heavily depleted and there are plenty of good players unavaialble for this squad that would ordinarily be in it i.e. Hendo, Ox, Barkley, Alli, Maddison that being said it will be nice to see Foden and Phillips get an opportunity to stake a claim. Grealish would aslo be an option assuming his form continues this season.

The only problem apears to be in central defence as when Chilwell is back the full-back positions are well stocked, we mus have the best right-back options in world football currently. Just hope the likes of Gomez, White, Tomori and maybe even Webster have a blinding season to stake a claim as other than Maguire nobody has made a place their own as yet.

Overall though I'm fairly optimistic that we can do well next summer

1 hour ago, redsocks said:

No grealish who last season was outstanding.And how has he picked Maguire who's on trial for being a ***** with loads of money.

My take on Grealish (that someone may be able to disprove with stats) that he doesn't perform to the same degree against top sides. You can argue that no one does, but I personally rate Foden and Madison ahead of himnon terms of talent. On top of that, neither Foden or Maddison (or Mount for that matter) got caught breaking lock down to go to a party and then crashed his range rover into a load of parked cars just 4 months ago. He's a very good player, buy I don't think he's a great one and he's got a questionable personality.

I appreciate this all comes in the context of Maguire still being in the squad, but he shouldn't be.

I think a lot of the omissions are down to managers asking for players to be rested but it serves no one to actually admit that

Just now, Monkeh said:

If Maguires defense, the Greek legal system and police are known for trumping up charges against people,

Even if so, its not a good look for England to be selecting someone who just been found guilty of those. Should at least be left out of the upcoming 2 games and call someone else up. Let the squad get on with playing football without the media circus.

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Even if so, its not a good look for England to be selecting someone who just been found guilty of those. Should at least be left out of the upcoming 2 games and call someone else up. Let the squad get on with playing football without the media circus.

Southgate is damn if he does damned if he doesn't,

Drops him and he is accused of not standing by the player,

There are players who done worse and continued their careers 

3 hours ago, Spud55 said:

Get arrested and allegedly assault a Greek police officer, gets you in the squad, maybe Grealish should have twatted some coppers. 

Eric Dier in that squad ahead of Tarkowski, Dunk, is a ******* joke. Jesus Webby has been better than Dier at CB this season. 

Key word, allegedly. I would imagine should anything more come of it then he will remove Maguire, though I guess you could argue while going through the processes he should be kept from the squad. Maybe they know more than we do - it's not actually been confirmed that Maguire assualted the police officer, just one of the 3 arrested did last update I read?

Edit: in light of the latest news, then he probably should be dropped.

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

Absolutely flabbergasted tbh.
How have Pickford, Dier, Keane, Walker, Mings and Trippier all managed to get in the side and Grealish, Coady, even Jack Stephens at Southampton have managed to not.
Southgate reminds me of Lee Johnson, a lot.

In that they both know more about football than you? If not, should probably apply for a professional job in football.

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

If we go into the tournament with that squad my prediction is Round of 16 is the furthest we'd go. It isn't our best players and you have to go with the best.

We've tried best individuals in the past and it didnt work. We need the best TEAM not best individuals.

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Not saying that should be the end or anything, but take him out of the limelight for now

19 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

For his own sake, and of my own accord  if I was Harry I’d offer to stand down at the moment, and avoid the media circus. I also wonder if any appeal doesn’t work, whether he would be allowed back within Greek jurisdiction. Which could have a knock on effect for both club and country 

2 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

For his own sake, and of my own accord  if I was Harry I’d offer to stand down at the moment, and avoid the media circus. I also wonder if any appeal doesn’t work, whether he would be allowed back within Greek jurisdiction. Which could have a knock on effect for both club and country 

Get Man Utd v Olympiakos lined up...

By the time foden and greenwood come through, ive no idea how the attackers can all be accomodated. Kind of a shame that there isnt a real top keeper left back and centre back coming though.

assuming henderson plays defensive midfield, then hopefully we will have foden, greenwood, sancho, rashford, sterling and kane all looking for game time, and thats not including mount, tammy, maddison etc.

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

What if he was convicted of spying or terrorism charges by North Korea?

While we all know that there are flaws in the UK/English legal system, I think we generally believe most results of trials and judgements.

Greece is somewhere in between the two.

Do you trust their legal system? Do you trust this case?

"The England defender, 27, was found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult after arrest on Mykonos."

If that was true you obviously can't play him or pick him, but I genuinely don't know if it is true.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Or...compromise by keeping him in the squad but leave him on the bench (to be used only in case of injury).

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

You can't stand by a player who is guilty by the letter of the Law, trumped up or not trumped up.. we don't know if that is the case

He should now be dropped for the length of his suspended Jail sentence unless he makes a successful appeal.

3 minutes ago, TRL said:

You can't stand by a player who is guilty by the letter of the Law, trumped up or not trumped up.. we don't know if that is the case

He should now be dropped for the length of his suspended Jail sentence unless he makes a successful appeal.

The point of this whole situation is how naive the player actually is. Forget about the crime he’s been found guilty of , he went on holiday with his partner and young children and goes out on a bender with his mates. Players must know they’re a target for abuse , why put yourself in the position in the first place. Yes it’s a shame but unfortunately it goes with the territory of being a highly paid footballer , for every nine fans you meet who just want a chat, photo , autograph you’ll meet one who wants a row 

1 minute ago, daored said:

The point of this whole situation is how naive the player actually is. Forget about the crime he’s been found guilty of , he went on holiday with his partner and young children and goes out on a bender with his mates. Players must know they’re a target for abuse , why put yourself in the position in the first place. Yes it’s a shame but unfortunately it goes with the territory of being a highly paid footballer , for every nine fans you meet who just want a chat, photo , autograph you’ll meet one who wants a row 

I really hope he wasn't out on a bender with his mates if his kids were there. I hope that's just sloppy reporting. If he was, he has dropped even further in credibility. I hope he was just out for a meal with a couple of drinks with family and friends

Just now, TRL said:

I really hope he wasn't out on a bender with his mates if his kids were there. I hope that's just sloppy reporting. If he was, he has dropped even further in credibility. I hope he was just out for a meal with a couple of drinks with family and friends

It’s what’s been reported , however it’s known his sister and brother were at the incident - his brother also charged 

3 minutes ago, daored said:

It’s what’s been reported , however it’s known his sister and brother were at the incident - his brother also charged 

I read a bit about Albanians injecting one of them with date rape drug at a restaurant. That was the defence. Seems odd that they could identify specifically they were Albanians unless they knew the language and who the hell injects date rape drugs at a restaurant in front of people? Something poured into a drink in a busy night club maybe... but an injection in a restaurant... seems a very unsound defence.

On the flip side if this is true you would expect there would be a myriad of witnesses to back up the story but the speed that these convictions go through Greek courts does not enable these potential mitigating circumstances.

Anyway.. until he has proven his innocence which he probably is not going to be able to do. He is legally guilty and should not be anywhere near that England side.. which is an honour to be picked for.

26 minutes ago, TRL said:

I read a bit about Albanians injecting one of them with date rape drug at a restaurant. That was the defence. Seems odd that they could identify specifically they were Albanians unless they knew the language and who the hell injects date rape drugs at a restaurant in front of people? Something poured into a drink in a busy night club maybe... but an injection in a restaurant... seems a very unsound defence.

On the flip side if this is true you would expect there would be a myriad of witnesses to back up the story but the speed that these convictions go through Greek courts does not enable these potential mitigating circumstances.

Anyway.. until he has proven his innocence which he probably is not going to be able to do. He is legally guilty and should not be anywhere near that England side.. which is an honour to be picked for.

It’s a difficult situation, especially without any of us knowing the real facts. Unfortunately I know through the experiences of a friend who had to endure a dreadful situation on one of those Greek island how corrupt the Greek police can be. 

Wonder if the club has a blacklist of holiday destinations given a number of our players went to Mykonos only a few weeks ago, probably helped they went there as family with kids/partners though for what seemed a more chilled out holiday.

Archived