IGNORED

England squad announced

Never to the dark side

What a wet fart Southgate is?  He believed Maguires version of events, and so picked him for the squad.  Whether he was found guilty or not is neither here nor there, havung picked him, he should then have continued to stand by him IMHO.    The Greek courts are hardly renowned for their fair balance and consistency , and Maguire is immediately appealing the sentence anyhow.  The U turn by Southgate is very poor and sends out a mixed message, Gee, thanks for your loyalty Gareth?

7 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I’m certain Phillips and White will be I euros squad next summer. Maybe Watkins as well

I remember the first time Kalvin played v Stoke under Bielsa, he was bouncing off the ground all of a sudden KP looked like an athlete. After our first six games under Marcelo's guidance I was absolutely convinced the kid out of our academy was going far, hence me making such a bold statement that Phillips would play for England which resulted in a bit of mocking & banter from my fellow Leeds fans, however I was deadly serious & refuse to give in to any of the taunts. Absolutely over the moon for Kalvin.

You're right Ben White will also play for England sadly unlikely as a Leeds player

2 hours ago, daored said:

The point of this whole situation is how naive the player actually is. Forget about the crime he’s been found guilty of , he went on holiday with his partner and young children and goes out on a bender with his mates. Players must know they’re a target for abuse , why put yourself in the position in the first place. Yes it’s a shame but unfortunately it goes with the territory of being a highly paid footballer , for every nine fans you meet who just want a chat, photo , autograph you’ll meet one who wants a row 

Not seen any evidence it was “a bender with his mates”?

It seems very shady, his sister being injected by Albanians is very far fetched to make up. Apparently asked for a lift to the hospital and was taken to the police station instead and only became aggressive after a policeman kicked/assaulted his leg - which for a footballer is probably quite a prized possession.

I think we forget that for all the flaws in this country our police is actually pretty good. I don’t trust police in any of these shady holiday destinations, seen enough corrupt goings on when I’ve been away and the way the English in particular are treated (often unfairly despite our reputation)

I think there’s far more to this story than Harry went on a bender, couldn’t handle his drink and attacked some coppers. Though at present he is guilty and rightly should be removed from the England squad

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

It seems very shady, his sister being injected by Albanians is very far fetched to make up. Apparently asked for a lift to the hospital and was taken to the police station instead and only became aggressive after a policeman kicked/assaulted his leg - which for a footballer is probably quite a prized possession.

I think we forget that for all the flaws in this country our police is actually pretty good. I don’t trust police in any of these shady holiday destinations, seen enough corrupt goings on when I’ve been away and the way the English in particular are treated (often unfairly despite our reputation)

I think there’s far more to this story than Harry went on a bender, couldn’t handle his drink and attacked some coppers. Though at present he is guilty and rightly should be removed from the England squad

Without evidence you'll believe the far fetched story over the mundane and obvious one that he's been convicted for?

That's some blind faith right there.

8 hours ago, Nibor said:

Get pissed up, break lockdown and wrap your Range Rover round a lamp post - and still expect to be given an England cap?  I don't think it's too surprising he's missing.

Blimey, I assume you work for a tabloid, red top publication ... he caused “minor damage” to two parked cars, he then gave his name and address details to a witness ... nothing reported suggested he was pissed and he certainly did not “wrap his Range Rover round a lamp post” .... why the need to sensationalise the Grealish incident? Do you think Maguire should have retained his squad place given the far more serious charges against him for which he was found guilty?

It’s a scandal that Grealish, one of the best players in the premier league last season, hasn’t been selected...

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Blimey, I assume you work for a tabloid, red top publication ... he caused “minor damage” to two parked cars, he then gave his name and address details to a witness ... nothing reported suggested he was pissed and he certainly did not “wrap his Range Rover round a lamp post” .... why the need to sensationalise the Grealish incident? Do you think Maguire should have retained his squad place given the far more serious charges against him for which he was found guilty?

It’s a scandal that Grealish, one of the best players in the premier league last season, hasn’t been selected...

He was driving whilst off his tits from a party he'd hosted during lockdown and crashed his range rover.  He admitted two of the three and conveniently left the scene and so he couldn't be breathalised for the other.  Not rocket science and certainly no scandal leaving the irresponsible shite out.  He got 8 goals and 6 assists taking pretty much every set piece, hardly set the world alight, and he's a diving fanny as well.  He shouldn't be anywhere near a cap until he shapes up.

Interestingly Jack's court case was today he was charged with driving without due care and attention and failing to stop or report an incident, seemingly as said because he didn't stick around he couldn't be charged with driving under the influence but witness at the time apparently said he looked drunk.

22 minutes ago, Nibor said:

He was driving whilst off his tits from a party he'd hosted during lockdown

Slight difference I thought he drove to someone else's flat as a lot was made of the fact he left home a day after filming a 'stay home' message. Thing is this isn't Jack's first 'offence' for off field behaviour letting him and others down. The incident of being passed out in the middle of Tenerife is well known.

35 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not really a “scandal” is it.  Bit pot and kettle from your opening sentence isn’t it?

Southgate has picked a group of midfielders he thinks are more equipped to meet his requirements than another player.  The 3 he tends to play in midfield don’t usually include a player who plays like Grealish does.

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

What a wet fart Southgate is?  He believed Maguires version of events, and so picked him for the squad.  Whether he was found guilty or not is neither here nor there, havung picked him, he should then have continued to stand by him IMHO.    The Greek courts are hardly renowned for their fair balance and consistency , and Maguire is immediately appealing the sentence anyhow.  The U turn by Southgate is very poor and sends out a mixed message, Gee, thanks for your loyalty Gareth?

Regardless of your view of Greek justice he has been found guilty. Obviously a surprise but the verdict is out there so what is Southgate going to do. He hasn’t shut the door on Maguire at this time , he’s just taken him out of the limelight and the negative impact on the England team. 

9 hours ago, MarcusX said:

The brawl came after a marathon drinking session costing £63,000 over three days.

Exclusive video obtained by The Sun earlier showed him partying with team-mates Lingard, 27, and Brandon Williams, 19.

Others there included Love Island star Chris Hughes, 27, snooker ace Judd Trump, 31, and Lottie Moss, 22, the sister of supermodel Kate

* apologies for the source 

9 hours ago, Nibor said:

Without evidence you'll believe the far fetched story over the mundane and obvious one that he's been convicted for?

That's some blind faith right there.

Fair comment, each entitled to their opinion. There isn't much evidence of anything, but a few places reporting this story of his sister either being "injected" or more possibly "stabbed" with an object.

A few eye witness accounts (including locals) saying they were minding their own business and were targeted by another group.

38 minutes ago, daored said:

The brawl came after a marathon drinking session costing £63,000 over three days.

Exclusive video obtained by The Sun earlier showed him partying with team-mates Lingard, 27, and Brandon Williams, 19.

Others there included Love Island star Chris Hughes, 27, snooker ace Judd Trump, 31, and Lottie Moss, 22, the sister of supermodel Kate

* apologies for the source 

It's the Sun, I'll take that with a massive pinch of salt but still if true the headline is a little sensationalist. £63k to them is peanuts to be fair and doesn't really give you a sense of how much was drank or what state the group were in

Of course, IMO it's silly for someone of Maguire's stature to put themselves in that position. Everyone's entitled to enjoy themselves but if you're the captain of one of the world's biggest football clubs it's probably sensible to limit how much you drink and keep your whitts about you, especially when abroad.

It'll be interesting to hear Maguire's official story if/when he releases it

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Fair comment, each entitled to their opinion. There isn't much evidence of anything, but a few places reporting this story of his sister either being "injected" or more possibly "stabbed" with an object.

A few eye witness accounts (including locals) saying they were minding their own business and were targeted by another group.

It's the Sun, I'll take that with a massive pinch of salt but still if true the headline is a little sensationalist. £63k to them is peanuts to be fair and doesn't really give you a sense of how much was drank or what state the group were in

Of course, IMO it's silly for someone of Maguire's stature to put themselves in that position. Everyone's entitled to enjoy themselves but if you're the captain of one of the world's biggest football clubs it's probably sensible to limit how much you drink and keep your whitts about you, especially when abroad.

It'll be interesting to hear Maguire's official story if/when he releases it

A couple of things on that; agree with the comments about the sun newspaper , however they’ve stated they have video evidence so I would imagine if not true then Maguire would consider legal action, also if story is untrue. Right now his reputation is damaged and I would expect him to look to restore that and I’m sure part of that will be the challenging incorrect reporting in the UK. 

£63k bar bill isn’t excessive I agree based on his wealth - what these guys have spent isn’t going to cause financial harm. But ultimately these guys have got to realise rightly or wrongly they’ll attract unwanted attention when out and about 

19 minutes ago, daored said:

A couple of things on that; agree with the comments about the sun newspaper , however they’ve stated they have video evidence so I would imagine if not true then Maguire would consider legal action, also if story is untrue. Right now his reputation is damaged and I would expect him to look to restore that and I’m sure part of that will be the challenging incorrect reporting in the UK. 

£63k bar bill isn’t excessive I agree based on his wealth - what these guys have spent isn’t going to cause financial harm. But ultimately these guys have got to realise rightly or wrongly they’ll attract unwanted attention when out and about 

Like johny depp has done with the suns made-up evidence against him from the serial lier amber heard

If they didn't have a single left back available from their elite group, why doesn't Joe Bryan or Jay DaSilva at least get in the squad?

I'm not saying they're world class, but surely you work your way down the list and get to them eventually?

One is preparing for his 2nd season in the Premier League and the other has played for England age groups up to 21s.

To have a proper leftie on the bench (cue Jezza jokes), why not?

26 minutes ago, mozo said:

If they didn't have a single left back available from their elite group, why doesn't Joe Bryan or Jay DaSilva at least get in the squad?

I'm not saying they're world class, but surely you work your way down the list and get to them eventually?

One is preparing for his 2nd season in the Premier League and the other has played for England age groups up to 21s.

To have a proper leftie on the bench (cue Jezza jokes), why not?

Oh...just saw that Saka and Lloyd Kelly are in the U21 squad so surely Saka should be in the full squad?

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

I'm guessing Southgate is satisfied by the idea of Gomez or Walker/Trippier/Alexander-Arnold moving to LB

Which is fine but choose one as back up, surely? 0 left backs in the full squad, but 4 in the U21s (albeit Sessegnon and Kelly are better in wing and CB roles respectively. Aarons a proper LB).

I wonder if we go 3 at the back with Mings the left of the 3?

13 hours ago, Nibor said:

He was driving whilst off his tits from a party he'd hosted during lockdown and crashed his range rover.  He admitted two of the three and conveniently left the scene and so he couldn't be breathalised for the other.  Not rocket science and certainly no scandal leaving the irresponsible shite out.  He got 8 goals and 6 assists taking pretty much every set piece, hardly set the world alight, and he's a diving fanny as well.  He shouldn't be anywhere near a cap until he shapes up.

He didn't host a party - he went to Ross McCormack’s pad - and you haven’t got any confirmation that he was ‘off his tits’ - yet you also said he ‘wrapped his car around a lamppost’ - also totally untrue.

The diving accusation is a contentious one I think. He is the most fouled player in the premier league because he is one of the most skilful and one of the best at running with the ball. I believe he travelled the furthest distance in total with the ball at his feet last season, more than any other premier league player, so of course he will be subject to the most fouls. I don’t believe he’s a ‘diver’ 

Problem with the Maguire thing is that Sterling was omitted from the November squad for a much more minor incident and you need consistency to ensure discipline.

It sounds like the legal process was rushed and I'd hope Maguire has a right to appeal but there does seem to be a tendency to assume all foreign police are incompetent or corrupt and I'm not sure that is the case. Hopefully any appeal will allow facts to emerge and we'll see where we are.

But I think, having dropped a player for a training ground altercation, you have to drop a player for an assault conviction. I don't think he ought to be omitted in the long-term, and - bar any appeal - I hope the matter is considered closed the next time the squad is picked and does not impact on Maguire in the long-term but I think it makes sense for him to be left out the squad for this game even if, with hindsight, it would have been better for the initial squad announcement to be delayed pending a verdict. 

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not really a “scandal” is it.  Bit pot and kettle from your opening sentence isn’t it?

Southgate has picked a group of midfielders he thinks are more equipped to meet his requirements than another player.  The 3 he tends to play in midfield don’t usually include a player who plays like Grealish does.

One definition of ‘scandal’ is “an action or event that is regarded as wrong leading to general outrage” - so I respectfully disagree with your ‘pot and kettle’ jibe - I saw and heard ‘general outrage’ yesterday resulting from Grealish’s squad omission - radio phone ins, online platforms etc. 

45 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

One definition of ‘scandal’ is “an action or event that is regarded as wrong leading to general outrage” - so I respectfully disagree with your ‘pot and kettle’ jibe - I saw and heard ‘general outrage’ yesterday resulting from Grealish’s squad omission - radio phone ins, online platforms etc. 

I think it’s a scandal that you looked at a dictionary definition....move over Susie Dent!!!

21 hours ago, Nibor said:

He got 8 goals and 6 assists taking pretty much every set piece, hardly set the world alight, and he's a diving fanny as well.  He shouldn't be anywhere near a cap until he shapes up.

I think Grealish performed pretty well in a poor side - but if you wanna quote stats, Ward-Prowse is in the squad ahead of Grealish, he takes set pieces, he got 5 goals and 3 assists last season and zero assists the season before.

Given your stance on Grealish - that he “shouldn’t be anywhere near a cap until he shapes up” - based on his lockdown misdemeanours, I haven’t seen you suggest that Kyle Walker be thrown out of the squad due to his well-documented flouting of the lockdown on THREE occasions. Do you think he should remain in the squad?

Appeal successful conviction removed retrial ordered at a higher court on a later date

Maguire should now be reinstated as he is innocent in the eyes of the law,

As I said before this is trumpt up charges by a corrupt Greek police force

A force that has been proven countless times to be corrupt

Archived