IGNORED

Pedro pereira - portugal under 21

Simon bristol

17 hours ago, maxjak said:

The fans need to get behind him, and make him feel welcome, how about a Pedro Pereira song to boost his confidence?   

Agreed - and it's staring us in the face:

To the tune of Volare, just replace Famara and Senegal with Pereira and Portugal. Simples.

Perhaps finishing, for variety's sake, with "he doesn't live in Knowle" ??

3 minutes ago, Selred said:

But does he live in Knowle? Can you confirm @redapple

He was at Bristol Hotel in Prince Street (only a couple of miles south of Knowle) but I’m sure he’s got his eyes set on a semi  on Throgmorton Road. 

Favourite accommodation for players seems to be Electricity House, Harbourside and Portishead Marina.  

1 hour ago, redapple said:

He was at Bristol Hotel in Prince Street (only a couple of miles south of Knowle) but I’m sure he’s got his eyes set on a semi  on Throgmorton Road. 

Favourite accommodation for players seems to be Electricity House, Harbourside and Portishead Marina.  

Think you may need to work on your geography if you think the city centre is south of Knowle :whistle:

I hadn't clocked that he was only 21 until i watched the under 23's last week, when he was substituted off he

was sat in the dugout area a few yards from me and i couldn't believe how young he looked.

The good thing about him, from what i've seen of him on the pitch, he is not "one for the future" he is one

for the here and now.  A fantastic prospect if we look after him.

On 30/08/2019 at 15:34, brady bunch said:

"to be fair" (see earlier post on Tammy!), I did not clock his age when he signed and watching him play I assumed he was 25+, suffice to say I am very impressed with the maturity he has shown on the pitch. He looks a real upgrade to me, and its no surprise that Jack Hunt has upped his game since his arrival.

Know watcha mean. I know balding ages you, but he's got to be the oldest-looking 21-year-old I've ever seen!

No offence to the guy. He dropped in that team and has done a job and provided decent competition for Hunt as right-back.  I'm glad we've got him here.

On 31/08/2019 at 08:54, Olé said:

Next time you pick him up, do me a favour and take him to the little Portuguese kitchen in St. Nicholas market as a surprise. Maybe @Matt Parsons  has told him about it, but I imagine it will be good for his ability to settle and play his best football, as someone living in a different city, to find there is a small Portuguese community in the world’s best city. 

Whilst this thread has digressed slightly to Portuguese food, are you, @Porto Red or @cidered abroad able to explain why your portions are so large?

I am fortunate to have a number of Portuguese restaurants in my area and, whilst their food is normally very good - lots of fresh fish and vegetables, I am  invariably obliged to order a small portion (to be fair, they usually offer a choice of small or normal!), but their normal portion is huge.  

Why is that?

In general, Portuguese men tend to be smaller than Dutch or German (so smaller appetites), and I have never been able to establish the reason. 

14 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Whilst this thread has digressed slightly to Portuguese food, are you, @Porto Red or @cidered abroad able to explain why your portions are so large?

I am fortunate to have a number of Portuguese restaurants in my area and, whilst their food is normally very good - lots of fresh fish and vegetables, I am  invariably obliged to order a small portion (to be fair, they usually offer a choice of small or normal!), but their normal portion is huge.  

Why is that?

In general, Portuguese men tend to be smaller than Dutch or German (so smaller appetites), and I have never been able to establish the reason. 

May be wrong, but I heard that in the days of the vikings that they ventured north to Holland & essentially pillaged their villages & raped their attractive women (a lot), which is why there are so many attractive petite/tall Dutch blondes. Definitely don't take this for fact though as I have never cared enough to actually fact check.

20 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Why is that?

Absolutely no idea Phil, although you are quite correct. Seen on Facebook recently: "If the Last Supper had been in Portugal"

Screenshot_20190906-170134.png

15 minutes ago, Unan said:

May be wrong, but I heard that in the days of the vikings that they ventured north to Holland & essentially pillaged their villages & raped their attractive women (a lot), which is why there are so many attractive petite/tall Dutch blondes. Definitely don't take this for fact though as I have never cared enough to actually fact check.

That's up there in the top 10 most nonsensical things I've ever read. I have no idea what you are trying to say here. 

23 minutes ago, Unan said:

Who are you saying did the raiding? The Vikings or the Portuguese? The Vikings certainly raided what is now Holland (and was then known variously by names, the main one of which was Frisia). In fact the Vikings sailed all the way up the Seine and attacked Paris a couple of times in the 9th century. A group stayed behind, settled in what is now Normandy and became the ancestors of William the Conqueror. There can be little doubt that many people from Scandinavia would have likewise settled in what is now Belgium and Holland.

As for the Portuguese - famous sailors and explorers, settled far and wide - but I've never heard of much raiding by them in the 800s. The height of their strength and glory came several centuries later.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Who are you saying did the raiding? The Vikings or the Portuguese? The Vikings certainly raided what is now Holland (and was then known variously by names, the main one of which was Frisia). In fact the Vikings sailed all the way up the Seine and attacked Paris a couple of times in the 9th century. A group stayed behind, settled in what is now Normandy and became the ancestors of William the Conqueror. There can be little doubt that many people from Scandinavia would have likewise settled in what is now Belgium and Holland.

As for the Portuguese - famous sailors and explorers, settled far and wide - but I've never heard of much raiding by them in 800s. The height of their strength and glory cam several centuries later.

I had heard the Vikings invaded Holland and, to have favorable offspring, specifically raped the Dutch females with ‘strong’ genes. 

4 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

The Vikings went north to Holland?!

What does "petite/tall" mean exactly?

My brain hurts

10 minutes ago, Unan said:

I had heard the Vikings invaded Holland and, to have favorable offspring, specifically raped the Dutch females with ‘strong’ genes. 

50 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Why is that?

In general, those from the south are descendants of the Moors who invaded circa 700 AD. Many are very short in height.

While those from the north, Porto etc, have a descendancy from Visigoths who were much taller. Some of our villagers were tiny and yet one daughter had married a "normal sized" man (170cms) and produced two boys who were about 195cms.

On the food subject, portions in cafes and restaurants are very generous with lots of meat or fish. I don't know the reason for this but it could be that many people lived on starvation diets during the dictatorship of Salazar (1926 to 1970 approx) and when freedom arrived, they literally got stuck into as much food as they could.

Apologies for meandering on about food, but it is an international break with not a lot happening.

1 minute ago, Porto Red said:

Seems to be endemic on this thread

Do you understand the question?

I had heard that they wanted attractive & strong children, so they chose certain females to have their children with. I don't understand what I'm not being clear about, or why you've taken umbrage with my post?

7 minutes ago, Unan said:

I mean it's possible. I studied the Vikings years ago during my degree. Not sure how much evidence there is for this very specific claim. Also I'm not sure this is the right forum to start discussing how one (whether or not a hypothetical 9th century Norse raider) might select a rape victim.

Some suggested reading if you are interested.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vikings-Very-Short-Introduction-Introductions/dp/0192806076/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=viking+history&qid=1567787084&rnid=1025612&s=books&sr=1-5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vikings-Life-Legend-Gareth-Williams/dp/0714123374/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=viking+history&qid=1567787152&rnid=1025612&s=books&sr=1-1

PS. I like Pereira. 

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

I mean it's possible. I studied the Vikings years ago during my degree. Not sure how much evidence there is for this very specific claim. Also I'm not sure this is the right forum to start discussing how one (whether or not a hypothetical 9th century Norse raider) might select a rape victim.

Some suggested reading if you are interested.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vikings-Very-Short-Introduction-Introductions/dp/0192806076/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=viking+history&qid=1567787084&rnid=1025612&s=books&sr=1-5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vikings-Life-Legend-Gareth-Williams/dp/0714123374/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=viking+history&qid=1567787152&rnid=1025612&s=books&sr=1-1

PS. I like Pereira. 

I appreciate the links but it's really not an interest of mine, thankyou anyway though. I wouldn't have posted if I knew it would have created such an uproar.

39 minutes ago, Unan said:

3 minutes ago, Unan said:

I had heard that they wanted attractive & strong children, so they chose certain females to have their children with. I don't understand what I'm not being clear about, or why you've taken umbrage with my post?

Because it's gibberish. You wrote:

"May be wrong, but I heard that in the days of the vikings that they ventured north to Holland & essentially pillaged their villages & raped their attractive women (a lot), which is why there are so many attractive petite/tall Dutch blondes. Definitely don't take this for fact though as I have never cared enough to actually fact check."

The Vikings came from Norway and Denmark. To reach Holland, they would have had to travel South and Southwest. 

You mention "attractive petite/tall Dutch blondes". You are aware that petite and tall are opposites? And are you saying that the Vikings, or the Dutch, were attractive, or blonde, or petite, or tall? It's not at all clear.

Because it's gibberish. You wrote:

"May be wrong, but I heard that in the days of the vikings that they ventured north to Holland & essentially pillaged their villages & raped their attractive women (a lot), which is why there are so many attractive petite/tall Dutch blondes. Definitely don't take this for fact though as I have never cared enough to actually fact check."

The Vikings came from Norway and Denmark. To reach Holland, they would have had to travel South and Southwest. 

You mention "attractive petite/tall Dutch blondes". You are aware that petite and tall are opposites? And are you saying that the Vikings, or the Dutch, were attractive, or blonde, or petite, or tall? It's not at all clear.

I don't know why they wouldn't be able to travel south/southwest. Petite was the wrong word, my bad, slim would have been better. I'm saying vikings had children with attractive, generally tall/slim/blonde dutch women. I had heard that that is why there are so many attractive, tall/slim/blonde dutch people. As I said before, may be completely wrong & I have never looked in to it.

5 minutes ago, Unan said:

I don't know why they wouldn't be able to travel south/southwest. Petite was the wrong word, my bad, slim would have been better. I'm saying vikings had children with attractive, generally tall/slim/blonde dutch women. I had heard that that is why there are so many attractive, tall/slim/blonde dutch people. As I said before, may be completely wrong & I have never looked in to it.

Not only would they be able to, they would have had to in order to reach Holland! You said they went north! Seriously, is it just me?!

So the Dutch are tall, slim and blonde, and yet it is because the Vikings chose their women for procreation that the Dutch are tall slim and blonde? Again, is it just me?

I give up.

Not only would they be able to, they would have had to in order to reach Holland! You said they went north! Seriously, is it just me?!

So the Dutch are tall, slim and blonde, and yet it is because the Vikings chose their women for procreation that the Dutch are tall slim and blonde? Again, is it just me?

I give up.

Ahh I did say north, you're right, whoops. As I said, just something I heard, I've never looked in to it & don't care for it, I know nothing about the history, as I said, several times.

Archived