IGNORED

“Players who can bring their own USP”

Olé

Mike Brearley was an excellent man manager and understood both the psyche of his team and the complexity of test match cricket and it was these skills that kept him in the England team - his limited ability as a batsman tho was cruelly exposed at test match level and I don’t recall him ever getting a respectable score  let alone a century. He averaged around 23 iirc. 

It was a Norwegian sports psychologist, Willi Railo who adopted the term ‘cultural architects’ and being a Scandinavian himself Erickson would have been aware of Railo’s work.

As for psychoanalysis - much debate in my former profession about the benefits of such therapy. 

One pov was that having a chat about your issues with a close friend was as beneficial as paying mega bucks to a psychoanalyst.

Another pov was that it was psychoanalyst professionals themselves that somehow convinced people how helpful their approach would be......

In my career I saw several people severely damaged by undergoing such therapy and cannot recall ever seeing anyone who said that psychoanalyst had helped them.

If anyone is interested in this I can recommend ‘The Final Analysis’ by Geoffrey Masson - he himself trained as psychoanalyst and was once the curator of Freud’s archives - he blows the lid off the profession and concludes that the best therapy of all is to spend time with people with similar issues to yourself - self help groups in other words and he is 100% correct on that.

The bloke said USP Unique Selling Proposition in the context of a player. 

There is not one person at our club/who supports our club that does not understand what he is saying is...what is it that an individual brings that is different from another individual. 

Clearly some think brickies and football fans are a bit thick! 

42 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Brearley is something of a rarity in sport. In fact, it's probably beyond rare: I suspect he's unique. My professional life finished a long time ago, but I had a lot of involvement in the fields of both applied psychology and psychoanalytic psychotherapy, and though I knew many therapists, I never knowingly met one who had been a top level professional sportsman or woman.

He did indeed become a full-blown psychoanalyst, but even before he became one of the very few people to complete that training (not many can afford to, for a start), he showed a degree of sophistication in his understanding of people that is uncommon in sport. His leadership and captaincy skills were exceptional. Imagine having the job of telling Ian Botham what to do. Brearley not only managed that massive personality; he actually got the best out of him.

A remarkable and very interesting man. The book on captaincy I can recommend. It wouldn't do dome coaches and managers any harm to study it, either. I wonder if LJ is familiar with it? (Though to be fair to him, I think Lee shows signs of being, on the whole, a pretty good man manager.)

Edit: And as an afterthought in response to Nibor's comments on language, with which I largely agree, I would hazard a guess that Brearley would have been very much of the plain English persuasion. Fancy asking Beefy what USP he was bringing to the table. The response to that would have been unprintable (and just possibly physically violent).

I would agree, but that is where sport was not where it is in 2019 and where it is going. 

Psychology is part of football. Psychology is part of Mr Johnsons coaching badges. Grass roots coaches can do a short FA online course, it was part of youth coaching modules till they were merged it with the B licence but elements are part of the humbler level two award. I know of kids coaches with sports science degrees. There are an endless numbers of books now on psychology specific to sport.  

There is greater understanding and opportunity … Leading me to there will be less rarities like Mike Brearley in future.

In regards to language. Frequently posters pick up on Mr Johnson's terminology as complex, or even bollocks. Todays sportsmen is different. They have a new sporting intelligence. Mr Johnsons speech reflects that. His speech constantly uses phrases that convey messages more quickly and simplify communication. Coaching speech x business speech is prevalent in football and it is necessary on a level that  it conveys messages swiftly to an audience that does understand it. That we may not get it on occasions … Well its not the worse concern!

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I can't see anything complicated in USP, it's a commonly used phrase in many walks of life these days. I still don't get the concern, sorry.

Unspecified Secret Perversion, come on everybody knows this. It's 2019 ffs Live and let live!

Archived