Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Olé

“Players who can bring their own USP”

Lee Johnson pre-match press conference. 1 minute 51 seconds.

“We’ve got really good players who can bring their own USP to the performance”

I think he might actually have out-Mark Ashton’ed Mark Ashton on this one. All a bit Dragons Den.

I hear the phrase a lot in my job but never before in football. So what are each of our players Unique Selling Points

Also explains a lot of historic signings.... Jody Morris for party planning, Rougier brothers as a BOGOF offer, Neil Kilkenny for pointing, Sean O'Driscoll to make every other City manager look good etc

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Maybe we should start rating OTIB members according to this criterion. What, for example, would be Robbored’s USP?

Unrivalled Sensational Poster.................:cool2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Unrivalled Sensational Poster.................:cool2:

Some people would say “sensationalist” Robbered.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Maybe we should start rating OTIB members according to this criterion. What, for example, would be Robbored’s USP?

Utter Shite Pedalled

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Lee Johnson pre-match press conference. 1 minute 51 seconds.

“We’ve got really good players who can bring their own USP to the performance”

I think he might actually have out-Mark Ashton’ed Mark Ashton on this one. All a bit Dragons Den.

I hear the phrase a lot in my job but never before in football. So what are each of our players Unique Selling Points

I wouldn't go through the entire team but starting at the Keeper and stopping there. 

Bentley. Key skill. Distribution. A wide ability to use multiple surfaces to hit receivers. That is from a City coach.

An interesting phrase appearing in football now is cultural architects. I am waiting on that one from Mr Johnson.

1 hour ago, CliftonCliff said:

Agree. In no way can this go badly....

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Massengo. USP = ******* massive hair. 

I did make the point in another thread that the marketing department have been lightning quick to get the lads picture up everywhere, modelling kit etc. An off field USP. 

Going back to @Olé's original post, I think LJ has got fed up with using "clubs in the bag", it was his dads favourite phrase after all. USP is another way of describing players who give different options. He made the point after the Hull game, that he thought that options off the bench would win the game, he does like the ability to change it up in a game.

• Like 2

Back on topic - USP in a word:

Bentley - enthusiasm, Hunt - crosses, Rowe - flexibility, Moore - potential, Kalas - strength, Baker - aggression, Brownhill - energy, Massengo - fearlessness, Palmer - passing, Afobe - experience, Weimann - running.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I wouldn't go through the entire team but starting at the Keeper and stopping there. 

Bentley. Key skill. Distribution. A wide ability to use multiple surfaces to hit receivers. That is from a City coach.

An interesting phrase appearing in football now is cultural architects. I am waiting on that one from Mr Johnson.

Cultural architects was pedalled about by Erikssen when he was England manager.  He named Beckham, Ferdinand and Neville as his.  Trouble is it created a Manure cabal in charge of things and ultimately the team failed because it wasn't as much of a team as its opponents.  

I've seen Scholes, Ferdinand, Mcmanaman and Lampard on BT Sport talking about how the club rivalry thing got in the way.  Also that McManaman was distrusted by Erikssen as he had quite a direct, questioning attitude to tactics / selection and mucked about with Fowler all the time.  If we'd had Terry Venables in charge of that group of players, we would have won things I'm certain. Instead we had a bluffer and self publicist.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Cultural architects was pedalled about by Erikssen when he was England manager.  He named Beckham, Ferdinand and Neville as his.  Trouble is it created a Manure cabal in charge of things and ultimately the team failed because it wasn't as much of a team as its opponents.  

I've seen Scholes, Ferdinand, Mcmanaman and Lampard on BT Sport talking about how the club rivalry thing got in the way.  Also that McManaman was distrusted by Erikssen as he had quite a direct, questioning attitude to tactics / selection and mucked about with Fowler all the time.  If we'd had Terry Venables in charge of that group of players, we would have won things I'm certain. Instead we had a bluffer and self publicist.

It is something I have found interesting. I can sort of remember Beckham being described as a cultural architect. Its something I see now in coaching books frequently . Architects carry out tasks regardless of pressure, negative influences and every team to be successful needs four or five. Then there are architects opposites assassins -  players who don't. 

31 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Erikssen was regarded by quite a few in the game as flaky and a chancer, a view I tend to agree with. Venables was also a dodgy geezer in many ways, but arguably the most astute tactician England have had and a proper football man through and through. 

40 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Erikssen was regarded by quite a few in the game as flaky and a chancer, a view I tend to agree with. Venables was also a dodgy geezer in many ways, but arguably the most astute tactician England have had and a proper football man through and through. 

I always liked my dad's description of him. "Great Manager and Coach that I would have at Ashton Gate tomorrow. I wouldn't buy a used car from him though." :) 

• Like 3

Much to like about LJ but the constant business bollocks isn't one of those things.  Plain English please.

Edited by Nibor

12 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Much to like about LJ but the constant business bollocks isn't one of those things.  Plain English please.

I honestly don't know why it bothers people. If he spoke in football cliches that would be wrong with some people. It sits in there with the Mark Ashton wears a suit criticism as far as I am concerned. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

It is something I have found interesting. I can sort of remember Beckham being described as a cultural architect. Its something I see now in coaching books frequently . Architects carry out tasks regardless of pressure, negative influences and every team to be successful needs four or five. Then there are architects opposites assassins -  players who don't. 

An architect designs something. A culture cannot be designed, especially just by a few  of a group.  People who reliably perform tasks aren't the same.  It's horseshit.

I've done a few coaching badges and a lot of what's written in books is complete bollo. Pseudo-psychology.  Football coaches talking about types has as much relevance as Psychologists talking about the merits of 4 4 2 vs 3 5 2.

Mike Brearley was an example of someone who actually understood the people he led.  His book is an excellent read - the art of captaincy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I honestly don't know why it bothers people. If he spoke in football cliches that would be wrong with some people. It sits in there with the Mark Ashton wears a suit criticism as far as I am concerned. 

Two reasons.  Firstly, speaking business bollocks (or any sort of bollocks) makes your communication unclear, people don't know what you mean but they feel like they can't ask for clarification because if someone's saying it they ought to understand it.  Secondly, because it's unclear and because it's deliberate it can easily come across as insincere - as though you're trying to hide something or spin something or appear like you have some kind of special knowledge.

There's no reason to speak like this if you're confident and genuine (and I'm sure LJ is).  Just use simpler words and occasionally explain concepts your audience might not get.

Interestingly you tend to find business bollocks is something that happens in middle management and tails off the further up the ladder people get.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Nibor said:

Two reasons.  Firstly, speaking business bollocks (or any sort of bollocks) makes your communication unclear, people don't know what you mean but they feel like they can't ask for clarification because if someone's saying it they ought to understand it.  Secondly, because it's unclear and because it's deliberate it can easily come across as insincere - as though you're trying to hide something or spin something or appear like you have some kind of special knowledge.

There's no reason to speak like this if you're confident and genuine (and I'm sure LJ is).  Just use simpler words and occasionally explain concepts your audience might not get.

Interestingly you tend to find business bollocks is something that happens in middle management and tails off the further up the ladder people get.

I can't see anything complicated in USP, it's a commonly used phrase in many walks of life these days. I still don't get the concern, sorry.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

I can't see anything complicated in USP, it's a commonly used phrase in many walks of life these days. I still don't get the concern, sorry.

Try saying it on a building site.  His audience here is football fans.

5 minutes ago, The Bard said:

An architect designs something. A culture cannot be designed, especially just by a few  of a group.  People who reliably perform tasks aren't the same.  It's horseshit.

I've done a few coaching badges and a lot of what's written in books is complete bollo. Pseudo-psychology.  Football coaches talking about types has as much relevance as Psychologists talking about the merits of 4 4 2 vs 3 5 2.

Mike Brearley was an example of someone who actually understood the people he led.  His book is an excellent read - the art of captaincy.

Barcelona's culture was designed by its Coaches. People uphold the culture by being part of it and its principles. Players buy into the big picture. That is psychological. 

Barcelona and Guardiola. Busquets, Iniesta and Xavi were its cultural architects and the team can only play as it did because these players buy into the big picture. A player that did not fit, did not buy into the culture was Ibrahimovic.

I found a book called the Barcelona way focussing on its culture to be thoroughly engrossing.

Mike Brearley was an example of someone who actually understood the people he led.  His book is an excellent read - the art of captaincy … Mike Brearley studied psychology and became a psychoanalyst. He thinks the understanding of psychology in sport is essential. I read one of his books called form. The art of captaincy I will be reading.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Barcelona's culture was designed by its Coaches. People uphold the culture by being part of it and its principles. Players buy into the big picture. That is psychological. 

Barcelona and Guardiola. Busquets, Iniesta and Xavi were its cultural architects and the team can only play as it did because these players buy into the big picture. A player that did not fit, did not buy into the culture was Ibrahimovic.

I found a book called the Barcelona way focussing on its culture to be thoroughly engrossing.

Mike Brearley was an example of someone who actually understood the people he led.  His book is an excellent read - the art of captaincy … Mike Brearley studied psychology and became a psychoanalyst. He thinks the understanding of psychology in sport is essential. I read one of his books called form. The art of captaincy I will be reading.

Brearley is something of a rarity in sport. In fact, it's probably beyond rare: I suspect he's unique. My professional life finished a long time ago, but I had a lot of involvement in the fields of both applied psychology and psychoanalytic psychotherapy, and though I knew many therapists, I never knowingly met one who had been a top level professional sportsman or woman.

He did indeed become a full-blown psychoanalyst, but even before he became one of the very few people to complete that training (not many can afford to, for a start), he showed a degree of sophistication in his understanding of people that is uncommon in sport. His leadership and captaincy skills were exceptional. Imagine having the job of telling Ian Botham what to do. Brearley not only managed that massive personality; he actually got the best out of him.

A remarkable and very interesting man. The book on captaincy I can recommend. It wouldn't do dome coaches and managers any harm to study it, either. I wonder if LJ is familiar with it? (Though to be fair to him, I think Lee shows signs of being, on the whole, a pretty good man manager.)

Edit: And as an afterthought in response to Nibor's comments on language, with which I largely agree, I would hazard a guess that Brearley would have been very much of the plain English persuasion. Fancy asking Beefy what USP he was bringing to the table. The response to that would have been unprintable (and just possibly physically violent).

Edited by CliftonCliff
Addition

45 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

He literally is David Brent isn't he

No he "literally" isn't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mike Brearley was an excellent man manager and understood both the psyche of his team and the complexity of test match cricket and it was these skills that kept him in the England team - his limited ability as a batsman tho was cruelly exposed at test match level and I don’t recall him ever getting a respectable score  let alone a century. He averaged around 23 iirc. 

It was a Norwegian sports psychologist, Willi Railo who adopted the term ‘cultural architects’ and being a Scandinavian himself Erickson would have been aware of Railo’s work.

As for psychoanalysis - much debate in my former profession about the benefits of such therapy. 

One pov was that having a chat about your issues with a close friend was as beneficial as paying mega bucks to a psychoanalyst.

Another pov was that it was psychoanalyst professionals themselves that somehow convinced people how helpful their approach would be......

In my career I saw several people severely damaged by undergoing such therapy and cannot recall ever seeing anyone who said that psychoanalyst had helped them.

If anyone is interested in this I can recommend ‘The Final Analysis’ by Geoffrey Masson - he himself trained as psychoanalyst and was once the curator of Freud’s archives - he blows the lid off the profession and concludes that the best therapy of all is to spend time with people with similar issues to yourself - self help groups in other words and he is 100% correct on that.

• Thanks 1

The bloke said USP Unique Selling Proposition in the context of a player. 

There is not one person at our club/who supports our club that does not understand what he is saying is...what is it that an individual brings that is different from another individual. 

Clearly some think brickies and football fans are a bit thick! 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Brearley is something of a rarity in sport. In fact, it's probably beyond rare: I suspect he's unique. My professional life finished a long time ago, but I had a lot of involvement in the fields of both applied psychology and psychoanalytic psychotherapy, and though I knew many therapists, I never knowingly met one who had been a top level professional sportsman or woman.

He did indeed become a full-blown psychoanalyst, but even before he became one of the very few people to complete that training (not many can afford to, for a start), he showed a degree of sophistication in his understanding of people that is uncommon in sport. His leadership and captaincy skills were exceptional. Imagine having the job of telling Ian Botham what to do. Brearley not only managed that massive personality; he actually got the best out of him.

A remarkable and very interesting man. The book on captaincy I can recommend. It wouldn't do dome coaches and managers any harm to study it, either. I wonder if LJ is familiar with it? (Though to be fair to him, I think Lee shows signs of being, on the whole, a pretty good man manager.)

Edit: And as an afterthought in response to Nibor's comments on language, with which I largely agree, I would hazard a guess that Brearley would have been very much of the plain English persuasion. Fancy asking Beefy what USP he was bringing to the table. The response to that would have been unprintable (and just possibly physically violent).

I would agree, but that is where sport was not where it is in 2019 and where it is going. 

Psychology is part of football. Psychology is part of Mr Johnsons coaching badges. Grass roots coaches can do a short FA online course, it was part of youth coaching modules till they were merged it with the B licence but elements are part of the humbler level two award. I know of kids coaches with sports science degrees. There are an endless numbers of books now on psychology specific to sport.  

There is greater understanding and opportunity … Leading me to there will be less rarities like Mike Brearley in future.

In regards to language. Frequently posters pick up on Mr Johnson's terminology as complex, or even bollocks. Todays sportsmen is different. They have a new sporting intelligence. Mr Johnsons speech reflects that. His speech constantly uses phrases that convey messages more quickly and simplify communication. Coaching speech x business speech is prevalent in football and it is necessary on a level that  it conveys messages swiftly to an audience that does understand it. That we may not get it on occasions … Well its not the worse concern!

Edited by Cowshed

Why would we want any player to have a unique selling point?

Surely better to have 25 million selling points like Adam Webster?

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Unspecified Secret Perversion, come on everybody knows this. It's 2019 ffs Live and let live!

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Unspecified Secret Perversion, come on everybody knows this. It's 2019 ffs Live and let live!

lord of the rings yolo GIF

• Like 1