IGNORED

Home v Middlesbrough - What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

My first one of these this season, and whereas Jbcfc on Twitter has focussed on the style, mine is more focused on the players.

I guess the first thing to point out is that they are no longer managed by “Tiny” and club-“legend” Jon Woodgate is now in charge for his first stint as manager....and is actually older than our own head-coach!  Woodgate wants to bring back exciting football to the Riverside.  Started with P5 W1 D2 L2 G5 A6 Pts5 (17th).  A few worried Boro fans in their forum.

How do they line-up:

CF27B1F4-81B2-42BE-8877-50C374740F0C.jpeg.53d0d77f4289b6efa3cec54fae25f975.jpeg

Either in the 4141 above, or a bit of a 4231 / 433 mix.  Fletcher plays more as a Right Sided Forward.  Possible option to go back 5 if Dael Fry is back fit.

The Players:

Some will be pretty well known to us, but a few lesser known in their squad;

Darren Randolph - GK - made the Champ team of the year last season as part of a tidy defence.  One of those keepers who will divide opinion, as he’s not the tidiest technically, but has the fortunate knack of being able to keep the ball out the net.  The kind of keeper that wins you points. Sub keeper Aynsley Pears is the son of their ex-Keeper Stephen.

Johnny Howson - RB - played virtually all of his career in CM, but can do a bit of everything, hence why I guess he’s filling in at RB whilst alleged City target Anfernee Dijksteel is injured.  Good player when in CM and has a good shot on him.

Marc Bola - LB and lead singer of T-Rex - young full-back, signed from Blackpool in the summer.  Congolese descent so probably one of the “Children of the Revolution”, but born in 1997, so definitely a “20th Century Boy”. Ex-Arsenal and Rovers (???). Likes to get forward.  Assume that George Friend is injured at the mo’, as he would normally be first choice.

Daniel Ayala - CB - not someone I’ve particularly rated over the years but has become a very dependable CB at this level.  Ex-Liverpool and has played top-flight.  Bigger threat at set pieces for them last season than a certain Aden Flint.

Ryan Shotton - CB - versatile right sided defender with a prodigious long throw that I expect to see tomorrow.  Solid and physical defender, and could well be battling Palmer and Williams for best ‘dreads’.

Dael Fry - CB - one of 3 Champ players to be part of the England u21 set up last season alongside Konza (was Brentford) and our own Lloyd Kelly at the time.  Got a lot of ability and expect him to play Prem at some point.  Can be exposed down the sides by good movement and strength (cough, cough, Benik Afobe) If he plays.  If he does we might see Shotton go to RB.

Adam Clayton - CM and bass for U2 - another “One” of those CMs that does the unnoticed dirty work, but “Boy” do they miss him when he’s not there.  This game could’ve been moved for Sky to “Sunday, Bloody Sunday”, but instead it’s tomorrow’s early game. 

Paddy McNair - CM - Irish, ex-Man Utd and Sunderland player with an eye for getting forward and a goal.

George Saville - CM - part of our 14/15 double winning side.  Nice and tidy on the ball in his time here, but really came to prominence (surprisingly) in the direct style at Millwall, where he added goals to him game.

Lewis Wing - CM - very promising looking player, who I was surprised to see is 24!  Ex-Yeovil loanee, who is good on the ball with plenty of energy.

Marcus Browne - LW - signed from West Ham in the summer having been on loan at Oxford last season.  Another allegedly on our radar.

Ashley Fletcher - ST - ex-Man Utd player who LJ will know from loan at Barnsley.  That loan was probably the reason Rashford sprang to prominence instead of Fletcher.  Big unit, but not a target man, more one of those awkward forwards, all arms and legs. Starting to find his feet again after a rough time at Sunderland, although gave Bailey Wright a torrid time in the 3-3 here in 17/18.

Britt Assombalonga - ST - [my player to watch] my first game back watching City in 13/14 was Peterborough (0-3) and I saw this powerful striker look head and shoulders above anything else on the pitch.  Proven at this level, but not prolific, maybe due to injuries.  Subject to a loan bid from us in January, but it will be really interesting to compare him with Benik Afobe.  Similar types of player.

Rudy Gestede - ST - Belgian Forward who probably enjoyed his best days alongside Rhodes at Blackburn.  The move to Villa didn’t work out and he’s been an irregular since.  Good in the air, and probably their plan B.

How do we secure the 3 points: 

With a bit of uncertainty over their exact line-up and set-up, I feel this will be a game where the first goal is important.  The QPR game probably showed me we’ve learned how to absorb a bit of pressure / possession but not concede cheap chances.  Last season we conceded after having good spells, and then had to chase the game.  This season we have more options on the ball and to transition quickly and I think that will be the key. 

The chance to spring Afobe or Weimann up against Shotton, Fry or Ayala in behind for goal-threat or down the sides to get us up the pitch is where I think we can take advantage.

We will need to be careful that we don’t allow Saville and / or McNair to find gaps between our midfield and back 4/5, or even as secondary runner beyond our back line when Assombalonga comes short to join up the play (not that is something he is keen to do).  We mustn’t let Fletcher peel onto Rowe aerially, so Baker will need to be mindful of covering that.  Moore up against Assombalonga looks a mix-match physically, but last season I was very impressed with how Kelly muscled him around.  These will be two key tussles.

On the flip side of the last para, if we can impose the likes of Palmer and Brownhill on their midfield and find similar pockets then we can wreak havoc.

Prediction:

It wouldn’t surprise me if this ended 1-1, but if we truly have improved our home form in terms of both mentality and resoluteness as well as quicker ball movement then I see no reason why we can’t secure 3 more points and go into the break very, very happy.

2 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

There's some bloody good players on paper there. Should be a tricky game tomorrow.

Key for me is how they play as a team under Woodgates leadership/tactics and can we take advantage.

I remember going to see us play Forest in the first season back up (15/16) and was predicting us the get the points ahead of the game.  Sitting in the wheelchair section in the South Stand the Forest players came to the corner for some pre-match drills, before the 7 subs were left on their own.  They had Dexter Blackstock, Johnny Williams and Jamie Ward amongst them, and I suddenly felt a lot less confident, especially with Lansbury and Oliviera starting.  We won 2-0, two from Albie!!

E098E361-91EB-4F8E-B179-61FA03A86054.thumb.jpeg.77999e042f2348004986c2861299fc6a.jpeg

But if you look back, none of those 3 subs I mentioned and the rest of that Forest side, I don’t think any of them would start regularly for us now.  A lot of players are just “names” because of clubs they’ve been at, but they’re at this level for a reason.  Same with the Boro “names”.  Not saying they’re not decent players, but I don’t think we are in awe of them nowadays, we have grown massively since 15/16.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I remember going to see us play Forest in the first season back up (15/16) and was predicting us the get the points ahead of the game.  

And, funnily enough, the only game we've ever won when being refereed by tomorrow's ref, Lee Mason.

Capture.PNG.f9273cac2d5670f38ac7d9ec20c038c2.PNG

Let’s hope that Woodgate is in the stage of his managerial career as LJ was when he took over at City - namely evaluating his current squad, assessing the ones he trusts and looking to develop his style style of play. We all remember LJ struggling to get results during that process at City.

The obvious counter statement  to that is that the Boro players could  be out to impress the new man and raise their game .accordingly...............:dunno:

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I remember going to see us play Forest in the first season back up (15/16) and was predicting us the get the points ahead of the game.  Sitting in the wheelchair section in the South Stand the Forest players came to the corner for some pre-match drills, before the 7 subs were left on their own.  They had Dexter Blackstock, Johnny Williams and Jamie Ward amongst them, and I suddenly felt a lot less confident, especially with Lansbury and Oliviera starting.  We won 2-0, two from Albie!!

E098E361-91EB-4F8E-B179-61FA03A86054.thumb.jpeg.77999e042f2348004986c2861299fc6a.jpeg

But if you look back, none of those 3 subs I mentioned and the rest of that Forest side, I don’t think any of them would start regularly for us now.  A lot of players are just “names” because of clubs they’ve been at, but they’re at this level for a reason.  Same with the Boro “names”.  Not saying they’re not decent players, but I don’t think we are in awe of them nowadays, we have grown massively since 15/16.

I know that feeling Fevs and I hope you're right.

Since the addition of our new lads and having seen how well they're starting to play together (accepting it's still early days so not getting too carried away), it has been enjoyable watching this City side. I'm definately not tempting fate tomorrow but it does look to be a happy dressing room so fingers crossed we get a good performance.

Archived