IGNORED

Adriano Basso

formerly known as ivan

Apologies if this has been mentioned in the Bury thread and if so please feel free to delete (can’t be bothered to read through it all).

Just reading on the BBC that Bury are considering legal action against the EFL as one of the bids that was not considered came from a Brazilian multi millionaire who is a close friend of Bury goalkeeping coach Basso.

I had no idea he was coaching at Bury before reading this. 

As someone who is up there with the goalkeeping legends at Ashton Gate, I hope for his sake, as well as Bury’s, there is some sort of viable resolution, whatever that may be.

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

As someone who is up there with the goalkeeping legends at Ashton Gate, I hope for his sake, as well as Bury’s, there is some sort of viable resolution, whatever that may be.

Once again the ‘legend’ tag is thrown around lazily - genuine question, what makes you think AB is a Bristol City ‘legend’?!

8 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Not sure he has to explain himself to you bs4 on tour in his eyes basso's a legend its his opinion 

To be fair, “Cult Hero” would be a more appropriate title than ‘Legend’.

On topic though, something stinks with the EFL and Bury’s liquidation.

I would class Basso as a legend for being a big part of some of the most fun times I ever had down the Gate.I absolutely loved him.He was a unique character in our history and I found him massively fun and entertaining. I know it has been done to death but the legend tag means different things to different people.Not a pop at you BS4 but to a lot of fans football is more than winning things and the premier league. 

19 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Once again the ‘legend’ tag is thrown around lazily - genuine question, what makes you think AB is a Bristol City ‘legend’?!

Agree with that sentiment BS4 as I could never get my head around the AB love in. We've had many better keepers than Basso over the last 30-40 years than him. Definitely a great character though and I can see why some fans would've liked him.

As Pickle Rick said above, cult hero is a much better tag than legend IMO.

31 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Hence why I said ‘up there with the goalkeeping legends’.

165 appearance (yes I wiki’d the exact number), a promotion and also part of our most successful season in recent memory getting to the championship play off final.

Name me three other keepers, post ‘81, with his record for us?

8 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Hence why I said ‘up there with the goalkeeping legends’.

165 appearance (yes I wiki’d the exact number), a promotion and also part of our most successful season in recent memory getting to the championship play off final.

Name me three other keepers, post ‘81, with his record for us?

Why post ‘81?? Like the sags, do you think we’ve only existed from 1982 onwards?!

(ps: AB made 182 appearances for City)

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why post ‘81?? Like the sags, do you think we’ve only existed from 1982 onwards?!

(ps: AB made 182 appearances for City)

The year I was born. I appreciate there would be ‘legends’ before then but people will most likely recognise a player from the time they watched them play

6 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

3 keepers after 81?

Keith waugh, keith welch, steve phillips?

Decent keepers. Can't say I remember anything much else about them, apart from Phillips being prone to drop crosses and throw his toys out of the pram. (Plus, in fairness, that penalty save at the Mem, albeit a shocking pen kick!).

Basso, on the other hand.........where to start. Inspirational character, always believe, such fast feet, came from nowhere and left for nowhere but looked world class at City, concussed at Yeovil and refusing to leave the pitch, arguably the last real leader we had. 

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

12 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

As someone who is up there with the goalkeeping legends at Ashton Gate,..........

BS4, I think the following definition from the Cambridge Dictionary answers your question regarding fkaI's statement,

Legend definition:

"Someone very famous and admired, usually because of their ability in a particular area"

Archived