IGNORED

Take 6th?

Charlie0016

37 minutes ago, bris red said:

You’d like to think so however if January 2008 and 2018 are anything to go by when we have been in great positions in this league then I wouldn’t hold my breath..

When 18/19’s accounts are published I think we will be able to make a decent stab at whether there is much if anything in the kitty for January.

13 hours ago, Charlie0016 said:

Quick question for you all , 

would you take 6th place now and risk play off heartbreak ? 

Or would you see if we could push for an automatic spot ?

If we took sixth now that gives us plenty of time to prepare for the playoffs.

No problem with fatigue.

:yes:

1 hour ago, Red white and red said:

Can people stop referring to the play offs as pray offs please. Grow up! 

Or glow up .

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

When 18/19’s accounts are published I think we will be able to make a decent stab at whether there is much if anything in the kitty for January.

Come the end of December we'll just be arguing about the one or two backup players we need to maintain our EFL dominance :)

Far too early to say.

We should be strong playoff contenders though and hopefully more!

People are underrating Swansea a bit (not just because they beat Leeds), think they may have more longevity than many think. Charlton SHOULD start to fall away a bit sooner rather than later.

Never assume with us though. Going into April 2008 we were top, going into 2018 an hour in v Wolves we were 2nd, closing the gap on them to 5 points, jitters given a week previous they were 10 ahead plus over a busy Christmas period and about to make major, possibly decisive gaps over a number of the chasing pack- it'd have been 3 points more yes but psychologically speaking!

Still no point in settling for 6th now, we have lots of depth and more importantly quality to return. Not convinced by top 2 though, at this stage.

I wouldn't take 6th place now, as that surely means the whole season is wrapped up straight away, and we've somehow rushed forward 8 months.  Where's the fun in that?

I feel we're in with a decent chance this year of a top 4 finish.

Leeds, Fulham, WBA, City, Swansea, Cardiff - my top six guess.

On 31/08/2019 at 12:10, BigTone said:

Can I ask that the complete shite that people post after Robbored ceases because it is quite frankly becoming ****ing tiresome.

Speculating about Robbored's death is not very nice of you old boy...

40 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I wouldn't take 6th place now, as that surely means the whole season is wrapped up straight away, and we've somehow rushed forward 8 months.  Where's the fun in that?

I feel we're in with a decent chance this year of a top 4 finish.

Leeds, Fulham, WBA, City, Swansea, Cardiff - my top six guess.

Derby look far weaker than last season.  A lot of pundits mention Mount and Wilson, but Tomori was excellent.  They’ve brought in Matt Clarke on loan from Brighton, who has now been benched and Kristien Bielik to partner Keogh.  Re Clarke, interesting that so many rated him, but Lg1 is a big step-up, and I’m glad we didn’t put all our eggs in that basket when we knew Webster was going.  He may turn out to be great but I don’t think he was our answer at this point.

Mel Morris’s clever accounting might’ve saved them from a points deduction last season that would’ve blown any chance of the play-offs, but the reality has hit their finances thus season.  Just can’t see them being competitive this season.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Derby look far weaker than last season.  A lot of pundits mention Mount and Wilson, but Tomori was excellent.  They’ve brought in Matt Clarke on loan from Brighton, who has now been benched and Kristien Bielik to partner Keogh.  Re Clarke, interesting that so many rated him, but Lg1 is a big step-up, and I’m glad we didn’t put all our eggs in that basket when we knew Webster was going.  He may turn out to be great but I don’t think he was our answer at this point.

Mel Morris’s clever accounting might’ve saved them from a points deduction last season that would’ve blown any chance of the play-offs, but the reality has hit their finances thus season.  Just can’t see them being competitive this season.

Dave, Dave, Dave. You've forgotten the 2 miilion Rooney shirt sales when Englands record goalscorer joins in January. That, plus the stadium resale to Morris Melman will more than satisfy FFP rules until next season.

On 31/08/2019 at 07:46, JamesBCFC said:

I didn't backpedal at any point Alan.

It was a jokey comment from the start.

Only those too thick to realise that have missed that.

You don’t need a comprehension lesson from a guy who, in response to a question essentially about the ‘bird in the hand worth two in the bush’ proverb says ask me later....

To the OP, I wouldn’t take 3rd even. I’m pretty confident that this squad has a lot for this league and our last two jan windows means if we are there abouts - with the league undoubtedly weaker, and we have some wriggle room financially - moves would be made. 

So all in I feel fairly confident we will be in the play offs at the crunch time. If 6th is realistic, why take it? For the comment I wouldn’t take third even, I agree wholeheartedly with @Robbored that it is a pray off. Is third enough of an advantage? Not for me; not when the ‘big boys’ like Leeds will (I think) burn out again? 

I don’t think we are ‘banking’ much by taking play offs now. We should do that as par. 

Archived