IGNORED

So another apology will be on it’s way - Boro goal offside? (Merged)

Numero Uno

On 31/08/2019 at 15:21, Numero Uno said:

People making excuses for that are talking shit. The law requires that to be given offside, talk about phasing as much as you want.

I had a goal disallowed for offside yesterday.

I wouldn't mind, as it was probably the correct decision, but what miffs me the most is that the goal itself was from 1988... These linos are so slow to raise their flags these days! 

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 18:30, Harry said:

Whilst we want it to be 100% offside, under the new rules it’s 100% onside and is a perfectly legitimate goal. 

Not sure why we were playing such a high line - Assombalonga was working on the shoulder of the last man all day and we got away with a couple. We played to his strengths here. You don’t offer Assombalonga 40 yards of space to run into. He’s the type of striker for whom you stifle the space and make him play in tight areas. 

What did you think of Moores body position and footwork?

When playing a high line the above should be a consideration.

If Moore was side on looking towards checking both ball x opponent and then back peddling he almost certainly will make a better decision. It is very hard to head a ball in the position Moore had got his body into. 

On 02/09/2019 at 11:12, downendcity said:

I think the law, as it appears to stand, was designed to accommodate a defender playing the ball to another defender or back to the keeper, but is unaware of an attacker , standing in what would otherwise be an offside position, who intercepts and scores.

In those cases I can happily accept that the "deliberate" action of the defender plays the attacker onside.

In this case however, BA was interfering with play at the point the ball was played up to him and his presence caused Moore's deliberate reaction, which is different to a deliberate action ( in my opinion). In this situation I don;t see how Moore can be judged to have played BA onside. 

If the decision on Saturday is because the laws say that TM played BA onside, then it flies contrary to the farcical way that VAR goes back to determine whether anything happened in an earlier phase of play to disallow a goal. 

You can’t be offside from a defender passing the ball, irrelevant of anything else, so this rule does not add to or improve the scenario you describe.

It’s when the ball was played by an attacking player, previously BA was offside “when the ball was played” to him, irrelevant of the touch from Moore. If Moore “passed” the ball to BA he is onside, always has been. The rule seems awful as surely Moore has to Attempt to stop the ball going to BA, and in so doing plays him onside, ridiculous rule. The only other option is Moore leaves it and hopes he is offside, if the Lino doesn’t give it then Moore has made a huge mistake. Of course VAR makes this rule clearer in some ways as even if the Lino missed the offside (it was tight) the replay would catch it. This may well become a new way of defending in the future, Liverpool have started playing very high knowing that VAR will save them if they get it right. No VAR in the champ tho at the moment....

On 31/08/2019 at 14:36, cityexile said:

I have to say I think that is nonsensical. It would need to be argued he was inactive before Moore’s touch. The ball was clearly a pass to him he was going for, and the fact that a defender trying to do his job then gets a touch should not put them onside.

Dont get me wrong, Boro played well and deserved something, but not having that.

I play golf with a chap,who referees at a pretty high standard and in his opinion definitely offside - there was no second phase in this situation as the ball to Assombalonga was a continuous action and the fact that Taylor-Moore got his head to it was irrelevant. 

There are a lot of references in this thread to interfering with play but the law is specific as to the definition. Assombalonga did not do anything that meets the definition as set out in Law 11:

Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

*The first point of contact of the 'play' or 'touch' of the ball should be used

or

• gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
  • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
  • been deliberately saved by any opponent
  • A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

In situations where:

• a player moving from, or standing in, an offside position is in the way of an opponent and interferes with the movement of the opponent towards the ball this is an offside offence if it impacts on the ability of the opponent to play or challenge for the ball; if the player moves into the way of an opponent and impedes the opponent's progress (e.g blocks the opponent) the offence should be penalised under Law 12
  • a player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence
  • an offence is committed against a player in an offside position who is already playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the offside offence is penalised as it has occurred before the foul challenge

Archived